Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #1

OWLEYE 360° camera viewing system

There's a 360 degree camera viewing system for RVs and trucks that looks darn interesting. I'm going to be purchasing and installing one just as soon as I can get a little more information about their offerings. This is a video from Wireless Prime about it. There are two models; One is for "commercial vehicles" and the other for automobiles. There isn't an explanation about the difference between the two. It could just be the length of the supplied cables. Anyone looked into this or installed a system on their coach?
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #2

While I'm sure Owleye would love to see their products on commercial vehicles you just don't see such systems, particularly buses and semis. Commercial drivers do walk arounds and use their mirrors. Food for thought.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would want to know how tall the camera sticks up. Might be too tall for most bridges. Not sure it would pay off but would like to know more even though I don't see myself wanting one anytime soon.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
My 2015 Ford f150 has a similar system built in. at the dealership i thought it was a gimmick and didn't think much of it. It is probably one of the most useful features on the vehicle when backing up or maneuvering. Hopefully the same will be true of the system you are looking at. Please keep us up to date on what you find out
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
While I'm sure Owleye would love to see their products on commercial vehicles you just don't see such systems, particularly buses and semis. Commercial drivers do walk arounds and use their mirrors. Food for thought.
I'll bet that the first "commercial trucks" to provide a mass market will be school buses and ice cream trucks and anytime that there is a high likelihood of children and pedestrians around the vehicle. Not to mention amateur bus drivers that need the spatial help and school districts will want recorded records of such events.

As long as dash cams are being installed in vehicles it isn't much more to go to 360.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #6

Well, I ordered the OWLEYE 360° today. I looked at several other similar systems as well. Many are directly marketed to industries such as municipal vehicles like fire trucks as well as school buses and they're priced north of $3,000. Some are a bit less expensive than the Owleye but they only have a composite video output. The Owleye has HDMI which should have a crisper picture. Be aware that there are two Owleye models. One is for smaller vehicles and the other for larger or commercial vehicles. The difference is cable length and calibration tape length.

My plan is to mount the cameras as high as I can on the coach. The cameras tilt as needed for alignment. The cables will run along the roof to about the same location where I have other penetrations in my roof such as the GPS antenna. I'll secure the cables to the roof with Eternabond tape. A cable entry hole will be at the front cap and I'll finish it with a Winegard CD4000 cable entry plate.
I then expect to drop the cables along the drivers side A-pillar and install the hardware under the dash.

I won't be touching the existing three camera setup that I have now. It works fine, even though it does lag too much when following the turn signals, and it's integrated with the radio and navigation system. Instead, I'll install a dedicated monitor that exclusively shows the birds-eye view.

I'll try to keep this thread alive by posting notes of my progress.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can't wait to hear how it turns out
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I would want to know how tall the camera sticks up. Might be too tall for most bridges. Not sure it would pay off but would like to know more even though I don't see myself wanting one anytime soon.

I have also been looking at this system. The cameras do not stick up. There are 4 cameras one on each side, one front, and one rear. That is wide angle and the software stitches the images together to get that Birdseye view. Not sure how but very neat
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #9

Oh my gosh. I just saw the commercial Owleye 360 went on sale for $575. The cameras look pretty low profile.

https://wirelessprime.com/product/ow...toring-system/
cody pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #10

Indeed, the commercial Owleye is $575! I had ordered at the previous price of nearly $1000 and the company was good enough to refund the difference. Great customer service so far! BTW, their shipping is prompt and while mine's still in the mail, it was mis-routed by the USPS so it's taking a few days longer than it should to arrive. I'll post a picture of a camera along with something to give it scale so we can see get a better idea of its size.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:05 AM   #11

To say the cameras are small is an understatement! There is 3M stick back tape for positioning as well as screw holes for mechanical retention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OwlEye Camera.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	196589  
Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #12

I was looking for an installation manual online, but didn't find one. Where do the cameras mount? At roof level? Are they wireless?

Thanks

David
2017 Sunstar 30T
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
I was looking for an installation manual online, but didn't find one. Where do the cameras mount? At roof level? Are they wireless?

Thanks

David
2017 Sunstar 30T
The cameras mount high up and look down at a 45 degree angle. I'll be experimenting with the height and a video monitor to be sure that they have a clear view and aren't blocked by the retracted slide covers or awnings. They're wired cameras. I may scan the manual as I haven't found it online.

There's no indication in the manual as to the manufacturer but it's most certainly from China or similar. The cameras claim a high resolution and have tremendous field of view.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #14

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
The cameras mount high up and look down at a 45 degree angle. I'll be experimenting with the height and a video monitor to be sure that they have a clear view and aren't blocked by the retracted slide covers or awnings. They're wired cameras. I may scan the manual as I haven't found it online.

There's no indication in the manual as to the manufacturer but it's most certainly from China or similar. The cameras claim a high resolution and have tremendous field of view.

Do you have an update or a review on the system yet?
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera