Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #1

I live in the Phoenix AZ area and purchased a 2005 Winnebego Suncruiser in March (which I have enjoyed). We have had two issues which I now understand is related to storing and using a MH in our hot climate. We have WH chasis with 8100 GM motor. I have been told that without auxillary radiator and fan the engine AC will only work intermittently in our city driving in the summer.

The other issue is with the Norcold refrigerator. I used the unit with no problems in April and May. However in June when it got hot after turning unit on I got the no/co fault. I took it to the dealer where they reset the unit. On the way home the unit faulted again. After taking two trips with ice chests, I visited an indepentent RV shop. They informed me that Norcold is programed to turn off if a temperature/cooling is not reached in certain time. If that happens the board needs to be reset. Norcold says without auxillary fan in rear of unit to help remove heat their refrigerator will not function in summer months of our desert valley. Norcold paid for the installation of the fan which should have been installed in any unit to be used in the Phoenix and similar areas. The advise also was given to me to never turn unit on until coach is down to liveable temperature and until the evening hours and also put ice bags initial in both the freezer and refrigerator sections when turning unit on. I have done all this and the unit is working fine. Unfortunately the dealer never gave me this advise - they are the largest dealer in the USA.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #2

I live in the Phoenix AZ area and purchased a 2005 Winnebego Suncruiser in March (which I have enjoyed). We have had two issues which I now understand is related to storing and using a MH in our hot climate. We have WH chasis with 8100 GM motor. I have been told that without auxillary radiator and fan the engine AC will only work intermittently in our city driving in the summer.

The other issue is with the Norcold refrigerator. I used the unit with no problems in April and May. However in June when it got hot after turning unit on I got the no/co fault. I took it to the dealer where they reset the unit. On the way home the unit faulted again. After taking two trips with ice chests, I visited an indepentent RV shop. They informed me that Norcold is programed to turn off if a temperature/cooling is not reached in certain time. If that happens the board needs to be reset. Norcold says without auxillary fan in rear of unit to help remove heat their refrigerator will not function in summer months of our desert valley. Norcold paid for the installation of the fan which should have been installed in any unit to be used in the Phoenix and similar areas. The advise also was given to me to never turn unit on until coach is down to liveable temperature and until the evening hours and also put ice bags initial in both the freezer and refrigerator sections when turning unit on. I have done all this and the unit is working fine. Unfortunately the dealer never gave me this advise - they are the largest dealer in the USA.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #3

I have the exact same setup, circumstances, and length of ownership, except my rig is a 2001. My air has only quit once while returning from Sierra Vista at Eloy. It wouldn't blow cold in June after a gas restart for about 5 minutes. Otherwise I've had no problems with the air.
My Norcold did take a really long time to cool from storage to cold in the Summer months. The freezer would always stabilize long before the refridgerator. Other than that, I had a few fault codes of my own but they were always easily solved without a visit to a service shop.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 AM   #4

I too have had problems with my RV refrigerator in the hot Phoenix area weather this summer.

I installed a fan that blows outside air on the refrigerator coils and drapped cloth on these coils that was kept wet by a 1/4 inch tube coming from an RO unit with a 'garden dripper' at the end.

This arrangement works well in the dry deserts, sort of an evaporative cooler for the refrigerator.

My main problem, however was that oil had gotten into the propane tanks and was clogging the oriface up. I cleaned the oil out and things work again.

I am thinking about building or buying a backup freezer. If I build it would be powered by Peltier heat pumps. If I buy it would be a 12 volt compressor type ($750). I do not think that the peltier would be able to do the job, even the 'Jumbos'.

David/zetron
Old 09-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The Workhorse W22 has an a/c cooler (radiator) and two electric fans in addition to the engine driven fan. Together these ae usually sufficient to keep the a/c operating in Southwestern & Southeastern sumer temperatures. However, the dash is designed only to drop the temp around 20-30 degrees below ambient, so you won't be getting really cold air. Still, any air 20+ degrees cooler than outside usually feels cool.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #6

I believe the a/c cooler (radiator) and fans were optional extras which I do not have.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:28 AM   #7

I should have mentiond also a key concern of owning a RV in our hot desert climates - batteries. Anybody who has lived in our valley of the sun (Phoenix) knows batteries seldom last much more than two years.

In my coach, 2005 Winnebago Suncruiser, I have three batteries, engine battery which is sealed, and two Interstate batteries which have wells to be monitored for water level. I picked up the coach in March. The dealer had not checked the batteries before delivery. One week later all the batteries were dead - no water. After long story which I will not relate all the batteries were replaced. They all went dead a week later the solenoid have been destroyed by the earlier dry batteries. I now check the water level in the batteries every two weeks. Most often they do need water.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:49 PM   #8

That reminds me that I haven't checked my three since my last trip which has been over a month.