Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

P30 Chassis wont shift out of park.

I have a '94 34' motorhome on a P30 chassis. It wont shift out of park. I have read some forums and here is what I have checked so far. When I parked it all was perfect. this was last September. A few days after parking, something sucked the life out of the battery. Using generator batteries for extra starting power turned it over just fine, but it wouldn't start. I let it go til a few weeks ago. I'm getting it ready for vacation. I went and got 3 new batteries, all were at the end of their life. It fired right up and I thought I was home free....

Anyway, it wont shift out of park. I hear the solenoid clicking when I press on the brake pedal. I tried moving it farther (and less far) by hand to see if it was its distance of travel (the solenoids)...but I think it's working perfectly. It does get hot, tho. My brake lights come on when I press the brake pedal. I don't think its a fuse or solenoid.

I started it, held the brake pedal down firmly and turned the wheel back and forth multiple times...essentially rocking it back and forth, but the lever still doesn't release.

Does anyone have any ideas to diagnose what is causing this problem? I feel like its not releasing at the gear selector. What I mean by this is, if it were linkage farther away from the gear selector, i feel just by the shear distance to a piece of bound linkage I might get some play in the shift lever, but there isn't any.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #2

Is it on a step hill binding the transmission parking gear.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #3

No, that was a thought, but that isnt it. I stepped on the brake and turned the wheels all the way left and right and then tried it...no luck. Letting off the brake let it roll forward about 2-3 inches...its pointed downhill, and it actually backed up a couple inches...relieving the stress. Thanks tho...!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Raise your front wheels off the ground with your jacks.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #5

Mine doesnt have jacks. Im curious how that would help, tho. I have released the pressure the very slight incline might have put on a "park pin"...if it has one, by stepping on the brakes and walking the wheel back and forth, essentially, walking the rv back ward and relieving that pressure. Is your idea the same thing?...relieving the pressure?

Ron
PS...and thanks for the replies so far, not getting it yet...
Old 07-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a similar problem and it ended up being the shift cable that ran from the bottom of the steering column to the trans. On mine a cotter pin held the cable in place on both ends. It only took a few min to disconnect the cable on the trans and shift it by hand. This was on a Chevy p30.

Edit - you can also disconnect at the bottom of the steering column and then attempt to shift from the inside to rule out any issues with the steering column.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is nothing wrong with your transmission. It does not have a parking "Paw". It is your "Autopark". You parking brake is not disengaging.

Go to the Workhorse and Chevrolet section and search "Autopark" There are dozens of threads to read through.

Moderator----Move this in the Workhorse section.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #8

Shift cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
There is nothing wrong with your transmission. It does not have a parking "Paw". It is your "Autopark". You parking brake is not disengaging.

Go to the Workhorse and Chevrolet section and search "Autopark" There are dozens of threads to read through.

Moderator----Move this in the Workhorse section.
I have a shifting problem on 94 Pace Arrow P30 and repair shop said it is the cable binding up but they can't find a new cable any place so far.
It was sold but buyer got tired of waiting since early July and now in shop
in LI,NY waiting and waiting for them to find a new cable,any help finding a cable
would really help me out and I live in Florida.
Nick
Old 09-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I could not get a new shift cable either. I went to the Chevy dealer and they had a new part number that supperceeded the old one but was not interchangeable when I tried it. I ended up taking the old cable off, pried back the rubber seals, injected some lube into the cable, an soaked it for 48 hours in motoroil. Then using a vice I was able to get the cable to start moving. It took a good while but eventually with more lube and time it started working really well. It's been fine for about 6 months now. If it snaps you could just rebuild the cable or make a generic one. You do it pretty often on cables for dirt bikes or atvs. Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #10

shift cable

The shop told me that they called and are trying to get one made up,
but it's been over a month now and thinking I may have to do what you did
but most likely will need to wait until I return to NY in summer.
Have you had any exhaust leaks at the manifolds.just very miner leaks.
Nick
Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had exhaust manifold leaks on both sides :-). Mine was a Chevy 454. I ended up replacing just the gaskets and the job was pretty easy with the wheels off. Napa had new manifolds for about $200 each. Not sure how much to have them machined.

In an emergency (if you want to pick it up form the shop or whatever else) and with the help of another person you could shift the transmission using the lever on the trans. I would find a person you trust since they have to hold the brakes while you engage the trans :-).
Old 09-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #12

shifter

The shop said they got a new cable and should be done soon
hoping this is true and no more delays so I can finish selling it.
When I was there I was able to get it into D & R but very hard.
Nick

Tags
chassis, p30