Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2005, 11:26 AM   #1

Hi,

I have a 2003 Workhorse P32 chassis with 12,800 miles. Recently, after about an hour on the road driving 60-65 mph with the cab air conditioning on the engine begins to lose power. I took motorhome to dealer and they changed the fuel filter and checked the fuel system. Again it happened, after driving for about an hour the engine losses power. I push the pedal to the floor and nothing happens. I tried turning off the cab air conditioning and that seems to help. Any ideas what this could be? The dealer states that there is not much they can do since there are no default codes. They said to keep driving until it totally breaks down. Not my idea of fun...

Please advise.

Dan
2003 Trail-Lite 242
Workhorse P32 Chassis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2005, 11:26 AM   #2

Hi,

I have a 2003 Workhorse P32 chassis with 12,800 miles. Recently, after about an hour on the road driving 60-65 mph with the cab air conditioning on the engine begins to lose power. I took motorhome to dealer and they changed the fuel filter and checked the fuel system. Again it happened, after driving for about an hour the engine losses power. I push the pedal to the floor and nothing happens. I tried turning off the cab air conditioning and that seems to help. Any ideas what this could be? The dealer states that there is not much they can do since there are no default codes. They said to keep driving until it totally breaks down. Not my idea of fun...

Please advise.

Dan
2003 Trail-Lite 242
Workhorse P32 Chassis

Old 05-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome DanF to irv2

I don't know if I can help you or not but lets get the ball rolling. I have had similar problems as yours, changed fuel filters, replaced fuel pumps an checked fuel lines near your exhaust pipes or near hot manifolds. You maybe getting vapor lock in fuel line from heat buildup. Some fuel lines also may have a hose between fuel line on chassis to engine fuel line feed. If its heat buildup there maybe a heat shield missing to protect fuel line from the heat. You could wrap tin foil around fuel line to protect from heat. To check line to engine you will need to remove dog house panel. Check hose if you have one for loose clamps or for gas escaping by connections. If gas hits manifolds not a good thing. I agree brakedowns we don't need always happens at the wrong time. Thats starters someone else will sure add. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:03 AM   #4

DanF, if you could give us a little more info, it would help...
When the power loss occurs, has it always been out on the expressway, at say 60 mph or better? And if you are tooling down the highway at 60 mph, is the power loss bad enough that you cannot maintain speed or must pull over?
Turning off the cab air will help an engine run cooler and add slightly more power. Have your incidences always occurred during hot weather?
You cite the "after one hour" time interval; this could mean some sort of heat build up... So on the opposite side of the coin, have you successfully driven in cooler weather for more than hour without this happening? Have you noticed anything unusual on your dash gages when the power loss begins?
One thing certain, I would consider going to an alternate dealer for a "second opinion" the next time it happens. I presume you went to a Workhorse dealer, not the local RV dealer, right?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #5

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. I have a appointment next week at another Workhorse dealer to look at the problem. The motorhome losses power with no warning from 60 mph to 20 mph after about a hour of driving with the cab air conditioning in Florida weather. This has consistently happened the last 3 times I took the coach out. It will eventually regain power but it is scary. It also has stalled totally after these episodes as well and then will start back up and run fine. No codes or strange reading on my gauges either when it happens. They all remain normal.
Workhorse Customer Service said it could be an oxygen sensor or maybe a vapor problem with the gas line.

Sincerely,
Dan Fiore
Trail-Lite Class A 242
Workhorse P32
Old 06-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #6

I have traced this type of problem down to the internal brains. I believe your prom in the computer is over heating. This problem can even occur when coasting down hill. It will not set a code because it "sets codes" but not on itself. Usually turning off the engine and restarting will clear trouble for a while. have the dealer check PROM issues and manufactors bulliten.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:41 AM   #7

I think RapidRay is onto something here. I do recall a past thread where someone traced their reduced power problems to an overheating computer unit. Issue was resolved by relocating the cpu or making a heat shield beneath it. I believe WCC might even have a service bulletin on it. I'd suggest doing an advanced search for "reduced power" for the past year in the Workhorse Owners Forum.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:20 PM   #8

I have the same problem as of this afternoon. My coach is sitting off the freeway awaiting a tow tomorrow. It sounds as if I should try to drive it in the morning and see if the problem goes away. The shutdown/loss of power occured after driving 2 1/2 hours in 105+ degree heat and then climing a hill. Shutdown was scary as the shoulder was narrow and I was towing a boat.

Is it normal for the engine to only throttle up to 3000 while in park or neutral with my foot to the floor? It sounds like a governor is kicking in but I have never had a gas engine do this. If I put it in gear while stopped with my foot on the brake I can get a nice strong pull against the brakes without it stalling. Again....I'll try in the morning. Any thoughts??

-Mike
Old 07-24-2006, 10:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Engine is rev limited to 3,000 RPM in neutral. You need to take a road test with the Tech ll scan tool looking at the ECM -- could be a vapor lock condition. Also, have you registered at myworkhorse to check for open campaigns on your Workhorse? or have your dealer/service center check --

MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote