Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Packing List for Tools?

My husband and I just purchased a really nice used motorhome and are looking forward to heading out on our first adventure, but before we go, I want to be prepared for the little emergencies that may arise. I have found a lot of advice regarding packing the motorhome, as far as kitchen, bedroom, etc, but I haven't found a packing list for tools that we may need. Granted some of them like screwdrivers, etc seem self-explanatory, but what other types of tools do you take with you, just in case those unexpected emergencies arise?

Thanks in advance,
The Newbies
pglasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hello - I would suggest a good multimeter and a few spare fuses.

Alan
02 Windsor PKD
str8six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #3

I have about 50 lbs of tools and various small fuses, bulbs, etc that I have carried for many years, all of it common stuff. Take what you have. Add as required.

What you do not have your neighbor will.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's lots of ideas here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/what...ms-181791.html

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #5

Power Probe 3 (Amazon), get the kit that's about $140 with the piercing test leads. Absolutely the best tool for 12v electrical diagnosis I've ever found. Saves mountains of time. Videos online and in their website to make you a genius at using the tool.
I have a PP2 on my workbench that I got for free. Once I figured it out I ordered the full monte PP3 kit and have never been happier with a purchase.
ps- don't use it on 120v stuff or its toast.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I usually have a race trailer in tow with enough crap to repair anything as well as build a few motorcycles from the ground up. For the times when I don't have the trailer, I purchased a 300 piece tool set from harbor freight for about 150.00. I added the usual electrical tools as well as household tools for uhhhh…….the house portion. If I can't fix it with a little more than a basic set, its time to call coach net.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:41 AM   #7

If you currently do not have any tools I might suggest the "Mobile Shop Complete Tool Bag". While attending a Grainger trade show a couple of months ago this company was there. Great little tool bag with everything included.

Link here

Amazon

Here you can see it in the video.
Link here

This would be a great set of tools to get you going.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
What do you consider a "little emergency" and how "handy" are you?????
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
I will go along with Hal. What you carry depends on your level of competence. I completed and have modified the electrical plumbing and gas system in our trailer and carry spares for most things that can go wrong and have a set of greased bearings, electrical terminals micro torch solder, shrink tubing, wire...
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #10

Besides the normal list of hand tools you will get here, for electrical I carry a digital clamp meter with probes for AC and DC, a 110V outlet tester to see if voltage is present and wired correctly and a Sperry Non-Contact adjustable voltage detector to check wires to see if voltage is present without using probes.

The other item I carry is a OBD-II Code Reader / Scan Tool to read any "Check Engine" codes that might appear. Never had an occasion to use it on the camper but have used it on other cars. Nice to know what the computer says before you pull into the shop or if the Check Engine light comes on in the middle of nowhere.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As you can tell from responses so far the most common concern is electrical. Once diagnosed electrical problems usually require small tools.

Of course tire care is important so a good pressure gauge.

I have one of those Craftsman combination tool boxes (it was a gift). It has an assortment of sockets wrenches, allen wrenches etc it is my go to box usually. I add to it some tools for specific purposes for instance a socket large enough to remove the water heater drain plug. A small rechargeable drill is handy.

I have a small canvas bag that has the most often used tools in it which rides inside the MH next to my driver chair. Easy to pick up and take with when ever I set up or need to check on something inside or out.

A hammer, if I ever need to hit something it is better to hit it with a tool designed for the job.

Duct tape.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
In no particular order... hammer, rubber mallet, vise-grips, channel locks, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, wire strippers, assorted screwdrivers (from tiny to jumbo), screw driver handle with interchangeable bits, extra square drive bits that fit your size screws (probably lots of square head screws throughout your camper), socket set, box wrench set, utility knife with extra blades, heavy scissors, assortment of spare fuses for all of the fuse sizes you have, small pack of both small and large zip ties, electrical tape, duct tape, baling wire (for temporarily reattaching things that break off until you can properly fit it) (between the duct tape, baling wire and zip ties you can fix any problem the world will throw at you), head-band style flash light and regular flashlight, disposable rubber gloves (Home Depot has the heavy ones that don't tear very easily), jumper cables.
I probably missed some stuff and others have covered essentials like a multimeter.. but this is enough to get you pretty well started. If you don't know how to use the stuff chances are someone nearby will and at least you'll have the tools for the job.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As well as the tools that have been listed, be sure to have the emergency triangle markers to put out if you break down on the side of the road.
caninecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
If you currently do not have any tools I might suggest the "Mobile Shop Complete Tool Bag". While attending a Grainger trade show a couple of months ago this company was there. Great little tool bag with everything included.
Amazon
This would be a great set of tools to get you going.
$655 for a bag of tools is a little high. Half you will never use. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get one of their basic home tool kits and then just add things you think you will need. If you don't have spare tools around the house to use in the camper you can pick up tools at garage sales of flea markets.

It you have screws with square or round drive heads pick up a combination screwdriver with a bunch of different tips. Good idea even if you only have phillips and flat heads. Keep the weight down and only carry what you think you will need. I also carry a nice little socket set and a breaker bar with sockets specifically for lug nuts for the coach and trailer. As far as large tools for working on the chassis, a coach-net card does not weigh much.

Remember you really only want to carry what you will use.