Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Painting Eternabond

Has anyone tried to paint Eternabond? I am thinking about covering some rust spots on my pickup bed with Eternabond and spray painting with some canned spray paint to match the bed. Thanks ...............
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't think spray paint will stick to EternaBond and I don't think EternaBond makes a good rust repair medium. Rust will continue unless you stop it with a good wire brushing and apply a rust converter. A rust converter actually stops the steel from converting to rust by chemical means. Then a finish should be applied that keeps moisture from the newly converted steel. Anything less is just a bandaid, a bandaid that will allow the rust to continue underneath and spread.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have painted four small strips that cover the seam between the front and rear caps and the roof on my MH. Before doing it I called the company and talked with them about it. They said that I could paint it, but it probably wouldn't last due to the slickness of the eternabond surface. They suggested I rough up the surface a bit with sandpaper before painting.

I gave it a try and the paint has adhered well enough that I have not had to do anything else with it in nearly two years. I did not roughen the surface as suggested. I'm careful to not expose the painted surface to any high pressure water or abrasive substances.

As far as your application, I do not believe that the bed of a truck is a friendly environment for painted eternabond. It won't hurt to try it, but I'm pretty confident you will find the paint peeling off in short order.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, paint