Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
How did you get the colors to match? Or did you use just use "close enough" color scheme? Looks good! My outside frig door decals are becoming really weathered, etc. and I was thinking about removing them and painting them on.

Actually I went with a much different 2-tone color. I used the "earth-tone" philosophy and it came out quite nice!

Gone are the faded pink tinge colours!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442339862.026977.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	106965Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442339893.114124.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	106966

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #16

I matched the colors as close as I could on mine, using on-line color charts and checking with several different stores / brands. I lightly sanded over the loose edges, etc., on the decals, then masked and painted over, been a couple of years now and still looking good.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
decal painting

that looks great. I did the same thing but I used a rubber based paint . plasti dip .works great and can be removed by simply peeling it off.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is the krylon paint wet sandable?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #19

Looks great. If I buy the paint will you do mine too?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice alternative. I (laboriously) removed all of our cracked & fading decals a couple of years ago. Couldn't match, so got others for a different design. Only real downside is that you can see a bit of shadow on the fiberglass where the old decals were.

However, if I had thought of this back then, I might have tried it first!

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #21

The finished product with vinyl decals sanded, taped and painted. Not bad for around $20 total! 😊
Jason

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447963649.187086.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	112350Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447963664.993918.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	112351

Old 11-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Looks good. Last year I used the 3M wheel and acetone to remove all my decals and replace them. I have a National RV so the original decals are no longer available. Removing the old decals was a very time consuming job since the Texas sun had really damaged them. I might take my new decals off next summer and repaint the old ones back on. The outline is still there from when I took them off.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkee View Post
Looks good. Last year I used the 3M wheel and acetone to remove all my decals and replace them. I have a National RV so the original decals are no longer available. Removing the old decals was a very time consuming job since the Texas sun had really damaged them. I might take my new decals off next summer and repaint the old ones back on. The outline is still there from when I took them off.
I really, really, REALLY feel your pain. Did the same thing, same agony, same result. It looks 1,000 times better since putting new decals on, but the shadows are still there. I'm somewhat comforted by the fact that it's 15 years old now and still looks pretty good, all things considered. I keep reminding myself to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Jim try RVGraphics.us - National RV
Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like it just rolled off the factory floor in Paxinos, Jason. Beautiful job.

I will be following your example come spring. We have had our 36Z since new and the decals, especially on the sunny driver's side as it is parked in our driveway, are badly faded and chipping around the edges.

I see you have also repainted the gold body paint- (the formerly black mirrors and storage compartment latches are a dead giveaway). I would like to do that as well, especially since a second car smashed into us in a gas station last year, damaging two of the storage doors. We were stationary in both cases and one would think a driver could see and avoid something as large as a 36 foot motorhome!

Can you please give me the details on how you accomplished that paint job?
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #26

Hey Rambow,

Feel free to check out my previous postings as I have been rather "creative" in cost effective repairs lol.

You ARE correct, I did paint over the black mirrors and handles to make for a more current streamlined paint scheme.

Here is a link to my previous posting.
What's YOUR MH's Paint-Code Match?

Essentially I fixed up some body issues (I'm an amateur). I decided that I'd need to paint the "entire panel" to blend properly. By the time I was done i ended up doing everything from the trim just above the storage compartments down.

Sherwim Williams quoted my an astronomical $75 a can for my paint code. So I picked up paint match cards and went to work. I ended up finding a very close colour match at our automotive store for $10/a can. Literally 30 cans later I had done the entire lower half with about 4 coats, plus I freshened up the back cap.

At a cost of about $300 I think it looks great! The decals cost me $20 total and maybe 3 hrs labour per side off and on.

Definitely a fun hobby! Pls attach some pics of your rig!

Take care,
Jason

Old 12-10-2015, 04:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Is the krylon paint wet sandable?

Hey Monty,

No, the krylon seems much more like a rubber coating as I think it's meant for plastics? I think it will be a little more pliable which works well for my use...but it isn't very sandable.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #28

One side of my '07 winnebago got hammered by the sun and faded the decals. I also have seen some other coaches like mine with completely faded decals and it makes the motorhome look like it's 30 years old. So I painted over my faded decals and now they look new again..and I am picky. I did 5 coats a few minutes apart to fill in the cracks. I used Satin plastic paint and took my time masking over the old decal area and the coach. My wife was really worried but was totally blown away after I showed her the result. My coach is looking really good and almost like new again. Thanks for the advice!

Tags
paint