Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

PANIC!! Slide problem/on the road.

We are on a month long trip. In Sundance,Wyoming. We put our bedroom slide out and it stopped 1/2 way out. Was able to push it out and back in. Don't have a clue what to do. 1999 Pace Arrow 34'. 5:00pm mountian time. Any help would help. Getting ready to dive into manuals.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not being familiar with your particular MH if the slide is hydraulic or electric.

However, you should start with fuses and breakers. If hydraulic, check the fluid level in the reservoir.

Someone more knowledgeable of your coach will jump in here soon, no doubt.

Dave

Old 05-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Info on slideout system ( mfg , electric or hydraulic ) would be helpful. If hydraulic it could be fluid level , if electric it could be low battery voltage ( engine should be running when operating slides )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #4

Power gear electric, it is plugged into park. Can hear it running but nothing moves. I do not know if it is a gear drive or chain or?? Trying to find more info. Front slide no problem.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Your next step is to disassemble the platform under the bed to get at the Power Gear motor and slide mechanism's. I would bet that the plastic drive gear has stripped or broken since you can push it in or out at will.

Let us know what you find.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is the manual in case you don't have one.
http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-S0140-00.pdf
Maybe this one.
http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/3010001330.pdf

There is a shear pin on each end of the shaft that's attached to the motor. Check to see if one of them is sheared. Also it could be that the brake on the motor is disengaged. The manual discusses that.
Good luck and update us when you can.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Your next step is to disassemble the platform under the bed to get at the Power Gear motor and slide mechanism's. I would bet that the plastic drive gear has stripped or broken since you can push it in or out at will.

Let us know what you find.
Agree.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

Thank you all. I took the wooden panel off under lift up portion of the bed. Nothing but bracing, so assume I need to take mattress away and take more of the platform off, will keep you all informed. If I put it back in and do nothing am I in danger of it sliding out during driving?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #9

O.K., I have got into the section under the bed and have determined that the shear pins on the motor are good. Even though I cannot see a gear I believe it is either stripped or a pin that may hold it to the shaft may be broken. I can run the motor but nothing else happens. I appreciate everyone's help. I will try to secure it from sliding out and try to find an rv repair shop in the next big town.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #10

We had a Pace Arrow. Electric slides. Took off mattress and plywood. Going in and out ha cut a wire. One wire nut solved the problem.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may want to communicate with Power Gear. They respond quickly. If you email them today , you'll most likely have an answer by mid morning Monday. Their address is info@powergearus.com. Give them everything you can re your system model , year and symptoms .

Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
Hope you don't have a broken cable. Not suggesting that it is, but if all else checks out ....
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaandus View Post
O.K., I have got into the section under the bed and have determined that the shear pins on the motor are good. Even though I cannot see a gear I believe it is either stripped or a pin that may hold it to the shaft may be broken. I can run the motor but nothing else happens.
In a Powergear system, a shaft runs from the motor to a bushing at the oposite end of the slide to secure the shaft in place. At that shaft end is a nut which allows you to hand crank the slide in and out.

This is provided the shaft is connected to the motor (no broken shear pin, ect) and the motor brake is not applied. The motor brake is a red handle on the motor.

In a case where the shear pin is broken /missing, you can move the slide at will, even if brake is applied.

Depending on the width of slide, you will have 2 or 3 support rails which are geared on the top. The shaft will have pinion gears at those locations to operate the slide.

On my system there are no shear pins on the pinion gears, only the motor to protect everything. But that's not to say PG didn't change this at some time. Anyway, if you are saying the motor brake is off, the motor runs, turns the shaft and nothing happens, then I would have to agree that your pinion gears have shear pins or that possibly the gears have broken teeth. Let us know what you find.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #14

Have been without internet. I have determined that a shear pin that holds the drive gear to the shaft from the motor must be sheared. The gear is metal and I can run the motor and the gear does not turn.
I am going to be in Rapid City,South Dakota tomorrow and am going to try to get it fixed. I slide it in and out at will and have been tying it to anchor. If anyone knows a service there that would help. I am in Sturgis now.
As always you all have been so helpful.

Tags
slide