Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Parking brake stuck....89 Tioga Arrow

This is on a 1989 Tioga Arrow that I have been trying to sell....Wouldn't ya know it, I had some folks wanting to buy it, and when I went to move it; for the first time in about a month, I had a hard time moving it, then noticed that the parking brake did not release....and the light stayed on....It's been raining alot, and not sure if it is from the dampness or what. Anyone every have this problem? And can it be an easy fix....Any help would be appreciated....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflymin View Post
This is on a 1989 Tioga Arrow that I have been trying to sell....Wouldn't ya know it, I had some folks wanting to buy it, and when I went to move it; for the first time in about a month, I had a hard time moving it, then noticed that the parking brake did not release....and the light stayed on....It's been raining alot, and not sure if it is from the dampness or what. Anyone every have this problem? And can it be an easy fix....Any help would be appreciated....
what chassis is your moho on? you can add this info to your signature file. how is the pb applied? do you have a pedal or a knob?
if your parking brake operates brake drums on the rear wheels, moving the vehicle in reverse will usually release a stuck parking brake.
if your parking brake is on the driveshaft its a different matter.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
stuck parking brake

Thanks for your reply....The motorhome is on a Ford chassis. And the brake is applied via a pedel. Once I release the brake lever the pedel pops back, but the light stays on and the rig struggles to move....I did move it back and forward a few times yesterday, but did not have any luck getting it to release.....It's very wet outside, and I'm hoping once things dry out, maybe it will release....Not sure if that has anything to do with it though.....
Old 09-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
It sounds like like the shoes may have rusted to the drum(s). The only time I use the emergency brake is to lower the levelers...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
stuck parking brake

Thanks again for the help.....I just went out and tried it again...The rig will roll, dosen't seem to be dragging now or anything...but the light is still on...depressed the e-brake pedal again and pulled the release...did this several times.....light stays on......Is there a switch or something that could be just causing that light to stay on.....?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
parking brake...stuck...

Well......I'm gonna end my dilemma by letting you all know that sometimes a problem has a very simple and obvious solution...but we just become so overwhelmed or intimidated by it that we let it get the best of us... Today, as I went out to again take a look at my parking brake situation...I popped the hood and noticed that the brake fluid looked a little low, so during my errands I stopped at the auto parts store, bought some and some powersteering fluid as well...Come home...filled her up to the max line.....checked the dash....and low and behold....no light!!!!! Problem solved!!!! What a co wink e dink that was that the brake light came on same time I was trying to release the parking brake, making me think that that was the problem!!!!! Hope you all get a good laugh...cause I did Good lesson learned....
Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflymin View Post
Well......I'm gonna end my dilemma by letting you all know that sometimes a problem has a very simple and obvious solution...but we just become so overwhelmed or intimidated by it that we let it get the best of us... Today, as I went out to again take a look at my parking brake situation...I popped the hood and noticed that the brake fluid looked a little low, so during my errands I stopped at the auto parts store, bought some and some powersteering fluid as well...Come home...filled her up to the max line.....checked the dash....and low and behold....no light!!!!! Problem solved!!!! What a co wink e dink that was that the brake light came on same time I was trying to release the parking brake, making me think that that was the problem!!!!! Hope you all get a good laugh...cause I did Good lesson learned....
good that you have the light out.
now you have to find out if you have a brake fluid leak.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Yup....Going to look under there tomorrow....should be able to detect any leakage. I'm just so happy that this did not turn into anything more than a learning experience for me....
Old 09-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sometimes it's the simple things that are the most challenging!

blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake