Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Patio Furniture

We have just purchased a Motorhome and are starting to acquire many items. I want to reach out and get advice about Patio Furniture, primarily folding chairs and recliners. We all have purchased many of these over the years and often they are throw away cheap purchases and not really comfortable.

Please send referrals of high quality, long lasting folding furniture, that are comfortable in all positions but particularly with good elevation for legs. I have looked at Coronado Recliners but have not been able to actually sit or recline in one. I am not convince from the pictures that they would support well in all positions.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi oldauzzie,
The owner's club for the brand of coach you own may have a selection to choose from. CW is where I have purchased a couple of excellent recliners. Go to Search - reclinher - Camping World and read about the choices. The first choices meet your requirements. One word of caution, these are not the lightest recliners. I guess that may go along with the high quality. CW is in many different places. Maybe there is one near you.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Bill -

Definitely take a look at Lafuma recliners if you're looking for better quality.

We purchased two a few years ago and they truly are top notch (and pricey). I would order the "XL" size as well, for a little added length/width. Even though I'm only 5'6, when the chair is fully reclined, I don't have the foot bar anywhere near bumping my ankles. The little extra width is nice too. We have a guest who has also used these (6'4") and they fit him very comfortably too.

We got the ones that have "clips" rather than the bungie cords that hold the material to the frame. I also found that the Lafuma recliners fold flatter and are lighter than many other competing brands -- some of which I struggled to even pick up. (We also got the matching carry bags and also the snack tray/cup holders that snap right on to the frames. Not sure you need the bags since you have a motorhome, but the snack tray/cup holders I would definitely get again). I have the bags since we have a TT because we have to pack the chairs in pretty tight with other stuff into our truck bed for travel.

Amazon sometimes has these at a discounted rate (but not right now in this particular link). I got ours there (ours is similar to the attached, but has plastic arm rests instead of wood). I wouldn't hesitate to buy them all over again. The mesh fabric means that if they get wet, they then dry off instantly for you to use -- no wait time for wet canvas or other material.

Amazon.com: Lafuma Futura Clipper XL Wood Arm Chair: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Best of luck in your search!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car
Bill -

Definitely take a look at Lafuma recliners if you're looking for better quality.

We purchased two a few years ago and they truly are top notch (and pricey). I would order the "XL" size as well, for a little added length/width. Even though I'm only 5'6, when the chair is fully reclined, I don't have the foot bar anywhere near bumping my ankles. The little extra width is nice too. We have a guest who has also used these (6'4") and they fit him very comfortably too.

We got the ones that have "clips" rather than the bungie cords that hold the material to the frame. I also found that the Lafuma recliners fold flatter and are lighter than many other competing brands -- some of which I struggled to even pick up. (We also got the matching carry bags and also the snack tray/cup holders that snap right on to the frames. Not sure you need the bags since you have a motorhome, but the snack tray/cup holders I would definitely get again). I have the bags since we have a TT because we have to pack the chairs in pretty tight with other stuff into our truck bed for travel.

Amazon sometimes has these at a discounted rate (but not right now in this particular link). I got ours there (ours is similar to the attached, but has plastic arm rests instead of wood). I wouldn't hesitate to buy them all over again. The mesh fabric means that if they get wet, they then dry off instantly for you to use -- no wait time for wet canvas or other material.

Amazon.com: Lafuma Futura Clipper XL Wood Arm Chair: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Best of luck in your search!
I believe that these are called Zero Gravity Recliners. My question is, does the back and the leg rest operate independently. In other words, can I have the back up in a reading position and the leg rest up as well. Or does the leg rest operate in concert with the position of the back.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
No, unfortunately. They are zero gravity recliners, so they don't have independent head/foot movement. The whole chair moves as one piece.

The only other kinds I've seen have only independent head movement (feet stay straight), like a regular lounge chair. (Like the Ergolounger which is a fancier version here: ErgoLounger - Ergonomic Aluminum Portable Chaise Lounge OH - Ergo Lounger Face Down Lounge Chair )

Haven't seen one that had adjustable foot positioning in addition to the independent head positioning (that is also a portable chair). Would be a great thing if you can find it, for sure!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Although they are not recliners the folding chairs with side table at Costco have done a good job for us. As you get more involved with your RV friends you will find yourself toting your chairs,etc to their sites for fellowship. Just my thoughts. As time passes the circle gets larger.

Don
Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #7

Since the subject is up, does anyone have experience with Strongback chairs?

Strongback Chairs — Welcome
Old 02-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We found some nice recliners a few years ago at Quartzsite that we loved. They were light and easy to carry and comfortably held my 6'2" 290 pound butt. After three years one of them tore (large butt issue) and we started looking for replacements.

We looked at Camping World and didn't see any LaFuma's in their selection, but I know they use to sell them. I would agree they are top of the line.

Camping World does have a couple of chairs where the leg support is tucked under the chair and comes out like an ottoman, so you can use the leg support separate of the reclining/upright position.

We always look for chairs that DON'T have a prominent bar under the seat cushion right at the thighs. We find that after a few minutes of sitting you can feel that bar pressing on your thighs. My wife is about a 125 pounds and the bars bother her too.

My kids bought some recliners at Costco that are fairly nice if you fit in them. They have a slide out table and cup holder built in. I believe they're about $60.00. No matter what you buy, you can't beat the deal on the zippered carrying bags from Camping World. We take good care of our chairs and believe that it extends their life dramatically.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #9

One thing to consider before you buy anything is where you intend to store them. Many of the new "Large" recliners are so large they don't easily fit into a storage compartment. The first set we bought were on sale at Menards near the end of the season. They were comfortable and fit well almost anywhere.

A few years later we got some Lafuma recliners for Christmas. They were so large they didn't fit in a storage cabinet or under the bed. we tried taking them along couple times but they took up so much space they weren't worth the effort.

We now have a couple folding rocking chairs we got at Camping World. They're larger than the original chairs but they do fit under the bed. Storing them may not seem to be a big deal at this point but when they're hard to get out and even harder to put away you find they get used less and less. After a while they just become more stuff that gets carried from place ro place but never used.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I just purchased a nice folding chair from Camping World, doesn't have a foot rest, but has built in speakers for my MP3 player, that I just love. Haven't used it at a campground yet, just set up in our enclosed patio and really like it.

ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote