Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #127
Senior Member
 
dsbike's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hampstead, NC
Posts: 1,391
I know in NC where I took my Class B, it is similar to PA. I did not get an air brake endorsement but the examiner stated that they wanted me to tell & show them how to do the air brake test. I wasn't legally tested but I am sure if I had no knowledge of how to do the test then they would have found something else to fail me on. It is an important fact to know if you operate a vehicle with air brakes.

On the other matter of jealousy of the examiner for the fact that you own a nice motor home, My examiner & 2 other examiners had a big discussion as to who was going to get to ride along in the motor home. They all wanted to ride & loved the fact that they could get out of the office & not be in a car for the every day exam.

Congrats on passing the exam Bompa !!!
__________________

__________________
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #128
Senior Member
 
psw757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 193
Class b ?

Here is a question I'm hoping someone can answer.

We are looking at a coach with a gvw of 26000. Coach actually is slightly over 23k actual weight. I should be ok without the class b for this particular coach.

They way I understand the license requirements is if the coach is 26001 gvw or greater it would require a class b. am I understanding this correctly?


Thanks
__________________

__________________
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #129
Member
 
steinjef's Avatar
 
Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Here is a question I'm hoping someone can answer.

We are looking at a coach with a gvw of 26000. Coach actually is slightly over 23k actual weight. I should be ok without the class b for this particular coach.

They way I understand the license requirements is if the coach is 26001 gvw or greater it would require a class b. am I understanding this correctly?


Thanks
What STATE are you licensed in?
You should check with that state DMV.
Most are the same (except Florida does not require upgraded license for an RV)
__________________
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #130
Senior Member
 
slickest1's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: B.C.
Posts: 3,715
I commend those that have taken the time and got the proper licencing. A diesel pusher with air brakes is no different then a straight truck with air brakes. You need to be competent for a commercial vehicle of the same weight, so what would be different with an RV. I think after most people pass the tests required they realize the importance of that knowledge. You don't need to know how to repair them but you should know how they basically work.
__________________
Dennis & Marcie & Captain Hook The Jack Russell,aka PUP, 04 Dodge/Cummins 01 Citation 29.rk fifth wheel.RVM59
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #131
Member
 
Xanso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I commend those that have taken the time and got the proper licencing. A diesel pusher with air brakes is no different then a straight truck with air brakes. You need to be competent for a commercial vehicle of the same weight, so what would be different with an RV. I think after most people pass the tests required they realize the importance of that knowledge. You don't need to know how to repair them but you should know how they basically work.
I totally agree. Gotta wonder how many out there are driving illegally and don't know it. Never ask the RV salesman they are there to make the commission. It's easy to look up the drivers manual for your state to see what you need to be legal. I can add KY to the states that currently do not need a different class or endorsement for RV's. Anything over the 26k limit says to refer to CDL manual and it states RV's are exempt. I printed both books just in case someone asks.
__________________
Xanso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #132
Senior Member
 
lllkrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
What STATE are you licensed in?
You should check with that state DMV.
Most are the same (except Florida does not require upgraded license for an RV)


Actually only 12 states require any type of special license to drive a RV over 26000 lbs. or 40 ft. in length.
__________________
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #133
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Here is a question I'm hoping someone can answer. We are looking at a coach with a gvw of 26000. Coach actually is slightly over 23k actual weight. I should be ok without the class b for this particular coach. They way I understand the license requirements is if the coach is 26001 gvw or greater it would require a class b. am I understanding this correctly? Thanks
Like what was said earlier, check with your state dmv. If your state requires it, then the coach that you're looking at will require you to upgrade the license, because it has nothing to do with the actual weight,...but everything to do with the GVWR.
__________________
Bigg-limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #134
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 89
Pennsylvania DVS site states motor homes are exempt from the requirements placed on drivers because of weight. The only time it speaks about weight is under the federal motor vehicle laws which govern transportation.
__________________
Kent and Sally Lunda
2006 Newmar Mountain Aire 4 Slide 400HP Cummins
2004 Honda Odyssey (Toad)
Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #135
Senior Member
 
BobGed's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjlunda View Post
Pennsylvania DVS site states motor homes are exempt from the requirements placed on drivers because of weight. The only time it speaks about weight is under the federal motor vehicle laws which govern transportation.
Uh oh...now you've done it
__________________
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #136
Senior Member
 
bertman's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 185
Kjlunda - You are wrong! Read the PA Drivers Manual. It specifically states vehicles over the 26,000GVW 'such as motorhomes' require a Class B license. I did just get mine, they confirmed I did need it. My DW just received her permit for the same.
__________________
Bob & Deb K.
2012 Itasca Ellipse QD 'Elli'
2010 Buick Enclave AWD Toad 'Ginny'
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #137
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post

What STATE are you licensed in?
You should check with that state DMV.
Most are the same (except Florida does not require upgraded license for an RV)
Steinjef

Am not familiar with current FL lic requirements but both mine and my DWs FL Class E Lic expired licenses clearly states the following as Restrictions and Endorsments on the back side:

"CLASS E - Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26001lbs"

It does not say anything about RVs and I caution that these licenses are no longer valid so based on what you have said in the quoted text, it would seem that this limitation was recinded? Is this true?

Perhaps there are other classes of regular FL drivers Lic also. Don't know?
__________________
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #138
Senior Member
 
BobGed's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Steinjef

Am not familiar with current FL lic requirements but both mine and my DWs FL Class E Lic expired licenses clearly states the following as Restrictions and Endorsments on the back side:

"CLASS E - Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26001lbs"

It does not say anything about RVs and I caution that these licenses are no longer valid so based on what you have said in the quoted text, it would seem that this limitation was recinded? Is this true?

Perhaps there are other classes of regular FL drivers Lic also. Don't know?
I notice you say you're looking at expired FL licenses. I don't know how long ago they expired, but please take a look at posts 88 & 107 in this thread. Florida has apparently added verbiage to clarify the validity of their Class E license to operate any RV, regardless of weight.
__________________
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #139
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I notice you say you're looking at expired FL licenses. I don't know how long ago they expired, but please take a look at posts 88 & 107 in this thread. Florida has apparently added verbiage to clarify the validity of their Class E license to operate any RV, regardless of weight.
Thanks - very difficult to track post numbers on the tablet/phone app. My wifes lic expired in 2012 and Mine in 2010. But the issue dates are likely more relevant. They were issued in 2007. My FL license was valid only in FL. I had another out of state Lic that allowed me to drive our DP with a GVWR of about 38000lbs so I was not really concerned about the FL restriction.
__________________
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #140
Senior Member


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: chokoloskee, fl 34138
Posts: 695
ever notice how people like to tell people what they should do!
__________________

__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3
USCG Ret BMCM
ron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
driver



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.