Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
So you're local. Can I enlist you to help me if I need a Class A/B ride-along?
I, too, need a class a/b ride along. I am in the Norristown area.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #142

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skma30 View Post
I, too, need a class a/b ride along. I am in the Norristown area.
We do not require you to have a ride along. You can bring the coach to the Driver Center on your own.

steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #143
Future Full-Timers

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need to be consistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
We do not require you to have a ride along. You can bring the coach to the Driver Center on your own.
When I got my permit for PA Class B Non Com license. I was told and I think it says right on the permit that you must have someone of the same class or higher with you when driving. I know that the 1st thing the Examiner did BOTH times I went for the test (1st time I failed as I wasn't told that I would be tested on AIR BRAKES ) was that my friend had to produce his license (which was a CDL ) before we could go any further.
I know you are a Examiner but this rules seem to be open to interpretation by others in your own organization. I think it's better to be safe than sorry.
I also have said before that although it should've been stated plainly before I took my 1st test about the Air Brakes I am glad to have a better understanding of them.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #144

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bompa3752S View Post
When I got my permit for PA Class B Non Com license. I was told and I think it says right on the permit that you must have someone of the same class or higher with you when driving. I know that the 1st thing the Examiner did BOTH times I went for the test (1st time I failed as I wasn't told that I would be tested on AIR BRAKES ) was that my friend had to produce his license (which was a CDL ) before we could go any further. I know you are a Examiner but this rules seem to be open to interpretation by others in your own organization. I think it's better to be safe than sorry. I also have said before that although it should've been stated plainly before I took my 1st test about the Air Brakes I am glad to have a better understanding of them.
When I went to get a permit at the Allentown examination center, they also stated that I would NOT need to have a CDL certified driver accompany me. Went to Hazleton and took my test with Jeff Stein who made it a most enjoyable and educational experience.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #145

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bompa3752S View Post
When I got my permit for PA Class B Non Com license. I was told and I think it says right on the permit that you must have someone of the same class or higher with you when driving. I know that the 1st thing the Examiner did BOTH times I went for the test (1st time I failed as I wasn't told that I would be tested on AIR BRAKES ) was that my friend had to produce his license (which was a CDL ) before we could go any further.
I know you are a Examiner but this rules seem to be open to interpretation by others in your own organization. I think it's better to be safe than sorry.
I also have said before that although it should've been stated plainly before I took my 1st test about the Air Brakes I am glad to have a better understanding of them.
You are correct in what they told you. But.......we in the Northeast, try to be as accommodating as we can. Allentown is included in our district, as well as Wilkes-barre. Snydersville, Dunmore, and Easton. Best thing to do is speak with the Supervisor in the center you want to go to, and follow "THEIR" rules. As the saying goes "When in Rome.......

I don't think it is a matter of interpretation, as they are applying the rules as stated on the Learners Permit. These rules can be modified by the District Managers, and Regional Managers. It just happens that our managers chose to be more accommodating to the "RV" community, because we are "in between". We are NOT Commercial, and we are not Automobiles. So Harrisburg, who does the scheduling, probably will not even know where to schedule you.

Hope this helps
Jeff
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #146
Future Full-Timers

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
You are correct in what they told you. But.......we in the Northeast, try to be as accommodating as we can. Allentown is included in our district, as well as Wilkes-barre. Snydersville, Dunmore, and Easton. Best thing to do is speak with the Supervisor in the center you want to go to, and follow "THEIR" rules. As the saying goes "When in Rome.......

I don't think it is a matter of interpretation, as they are applying the rules as stated on the Learners Permit. These rules can be modified by the District Managers, and Regional Managers. It just happens that our managers chose to be more accommodating to the "RV" community, because we are "in between". We are NOT Commercial, and we are not Automobiles. So Harrisburg, who does the scheduling, probably will not even know where to schedule you.

Hope this helps
Jeff
I wish I had heard about you before I scheduled in Seneca Center. After I failed the first time due to the Examiner requiring the Air Brake Procedure I put 2000 miles on the coach and went by your area 2 times in my travels and would loved to have been "legal" at the time. Instead I had to get my friend with the required license to go a second time, schedule the test again. But with the extra time and miles I was completely ready for the Air Brake procedure, driving skills test, etc.
I was surprised that I had to parallel park the Beast but found it to be quote easy or I was very lucky.
As I have stated before my DW got her permit and she wants to get her license for a backup. I will make sure she knows the Air Brake as I do believe it is important and driving but just to be safe and more gentle on her we will drive across state to you as I don't want to subject her to the conditions I dealt with. You appear to be one of the more reasonable public servants I have heard of. It is refreshing to heard of someone with "level" thinking. Rules are Rules but sometimes a little common sense needs to be applied.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #147

For the record:

Jeff Stein is a fine person and a friend to RVers!

I took my class B test with Jeff today. The driving test went just fine. Before and after the test, Jeff shared a wealth of info about air brakes, turning, you name it.

Thanks so very much Jeff!

I think every RVer can learn valuable info just by reading the CDL training guide. It will make us all safer on the road.

Dave

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #148
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Way to go Dave!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Way to go Dave!

Thanks Wayne.
It is good to be legal and be more informed.
Knowledge is power. And I like gathering more of it.

Happy trails!
Hugs to Earlene

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #150

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I just checked the Ohio DMV site and All RV's are exempt from CDL, Class "A" and "B" licensing requirements regardless of weight.
Another good reason to make Ohio your residence state!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #151
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Another good reason to make Ohio your residence state!
The majority of states do not require a CDL

========
Dave #1,
Knowledge is definitely power. I had a CDL for many years. Converted it to a Class A. I strongly recommend that anyone driving a large vehicle, like we do, invest the time to read through the CDL manual for the knowledge that is there. I just may make a better and safer driver, even if it is not necessary for the coach one drives, or state one drives in. Some good information in the manual.

Earlene hugs back.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #152

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've read the Ohio CDL, so I'm prepared. I just didn't want the hassle of packing up and going somewhere to take the test. Also, I did not want to have a instructor see me lugging around oxygen, and wondering if I was fit enough to drive my rig.
If I thought I wasn't I just wouldn't do it. But I feel very confident in my driving ability.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #153

Monaco Owners Club
I am going to Hazelton !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
For the record:

Jeff Stein is a fine person and a friend to RVers!

I took my class B test with Jeff today. The driving test went just fine. Before and after the test, Jeff shared a wealth of info about air brakes, turning, you name it.

Thanks so very much Jeff!

I think every RVer can learn valuable info just by reading the CDL training guide. It will make us all safer on the road.

Dave
I am going to Hazelton and test with Jeff (Hopefully) soon. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #154

Gulf Streamers Club
Excuse me, I have not read the 11 pages but have seen numerous questions and answers about required special license to operate your various motorhomes. My question is.... Each state has it's own requirements but how does this effect travelers???? Until the states all come up with the SAME rules and regulations how do people travel from state to state?? If I'm compliant in my home state but my home state has different length, weight, and license requirements than all the sourrounding states am I held captive in my home state.

Tags
driver