Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchracer View Post
Excuse me, I have not read the 11 pages but have seen numerous questions and answers about required special license to operate your various motorhomes. My question is.... Each state has it's own requirements but how does this effect travelers???? Until the states all come up with the SAME rules and regulations how do people travel from state to state?? If I'm compliant in my home state but my home state has different length, weight, and license requirements than all the sourrounding states am I held captive in my home state.

As long as you are legal in your home state you are legal nationwide. However you need to pay attention to the road signage, some parts of the country have length limits and that's due to the road you may be on.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #156

Man am I glad I found this Forum! I have lived in PA since 1999 and licensed 4 RV's here and never once have I been asked if I had or told that I needed a specific license to operate my RV. Reading this made me contact the DMV and sure enough I have been operating illegally since 1999.

Even the person at the DMV was unsure as to weather I needed the Class B or not but after she did some research she came back and told me that I did.

Going to get me learners permit today and hopefully the drivers test in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to all of you for this valuable information.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #157

Well, I went to the DMV in Lancaster, PA yesterday to get my Learners Permit for my Non-Commercial Class B drivers license and was pleasantly surprised that I did not have to take a written test as I expected. I paid $5.00 for the permit and am they told me to call the number on the permit to schedule the road test.

I spoke with one ot the guys that give the road test and he told me to pay particular attention to the Air Brake section of the Commercial CDL Booklet that they gave me. He said that I needed to understand and demonstrate the bleed down and air up of the Air Brakes and the full walk around inspection prior to the driving test.

I was also told that it is not necessary to bring a Licensed Drive with me for the test, thank god as I do not know anyone that has a PA Class A or B.

Also forund out in talking with him that I should have had a Class A license for the 5th wheel trailer that I just traded in as my truck had a GVWR of 17,000 lbs and the trailer weighed 16,900 lbs. Just thought I would add this as know one that I know understands that they need this, 4 RV later I found it out hear.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhrv View Post
I am going to Hazelton and test with Jeff (Hopefully) soon. Thanks for sharing your experience.

That's great!
Jeff is a RVer of the highest caliber.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #159

I live in Texas and worked for TxDOT for 15 years( It was 15 years ago) and never heard this requirement. I agree it is needed to insure safety of all on the road. I have helped many inexperienced RV owners back trailers and motor homes and simply got some out of tight spots like service stations. Obviously some training should be required to drive large rigs. I have owned large towables 5ers and now back to motorhomes and know you can get into trouble quickly with large vehicles if you are not trained in their operation. Possibly dealers and manufacturers should step up and provide at least some training with purchase.
I have a Class A CDL with X,T,P,and M endorsements.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #160

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhrv View Post
I am going to Hazelton and test with Jeff (Hopefully) soon. Thanks for sharing your experience.
OH NO.....
I just retired on 8/21. Sold the s&b, had closing today. we are now living fulltime in the MH.
I think i really am an RV mutant.....i sold some things, and just gave away everything else. I already do not miss the paint brush. Ginny is having lawn mower withdrawal she said.
Just call the Hazlelton driver license center, they will be happy to help you.
570-459-3918. Bernie is the District Manager.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #161

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
That's great!
Jeff is a RVer of the highest caliber.
thanks Dave.....I did it.....I retired....
FULLTIME RV MUTANT.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
thanks Dave.....I did it.....I retired....

FULLTIME RV MUTANT.

That is so awesome, Jeff!
Sent you a PM.
Dave
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #163

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by porchracer View Post
Excuse me, I have not read the 11 pages but have seen numerous questions and answers about required special license to operate your various motorhomes. My question is.... Each state has it's own requirements but how does this effect travelers???? Until the states all come up with the SAME rules and regulations how do people travel from state to state?? If I'm compliant in my home state but my home state has different length, weight, and license requirements than all the sourrounding states am I held captive in my home state.
If you are legal in your state with your drivers license you are legal in all of the states and provinces to drive your motorhome.

In spite of that you will have to follow the weight, length, and (brakes for towed vehicles) laws of each jurisdiction you pass through.

There are lots of folks who have observed that driving down the road in a safe manner following the speed limits, etc will keep you out of the focus of the Highway Patrol for weight and length. No guarantees but very few have been hassled. California has had a couple reported exceptions but generally speaking the consensus is to drive reasonably and some of the infractions may not be enforced. You are taking your chances any time you are outside of the local laws.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoakken View Post
I live in Texas and worked for TxDOT for 15 years( It was 15 years ago) and never heard this requirement. I agree it is needed to insure safety of all on the road. I have helped many inexperienced RV owners back trailers and motor homes and simply got some out of tight spots like service stations. Obviously some training should be required to drive large rigs. I have owned large towables 5ers and now back to motorhomes and know you can get into trouble quickly with large vehicles if you are not trained in their operation. Possibly dealers and manufacturers should step up and provide at least some training with purchase.

I have a Class A CDL with X,T,P,and M endorsements.

It's not in the dealers and manufacturers best interest. They are there to just sell.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #165

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up Finally upgraded to Class "B"

Just got back from the drivers exam in Wilkes-Barre, (passed).
Joe the examiner was very helpful and friendly.
After a quick inspection outside, we climbed in and got ready for the driving test. Had a discussion about the air brake test procedure and headed out.
Quick trip thru the industrial complex, with included road construction and we were done.
Thanks to this site, I am now driving legal.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #166

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you have to have a B licensed driver with you?
Old 11-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #167

Winnebago Owners Club
No. I showed up by myself.
I asked ahead of time if I would need a driver with me, and they said that I wouldn't.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #168

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks. Probably going to take the test down here in Philly next month. Still have to read the manual more thoroughly.

Tags
driver