Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #183

Pennsylvania RV Drivers License

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
CDL requires annual DOT physical me thinks, and of no practical use unless you need a driving job. Eh?

If you are driving for hire, then you will need one. My license is in Texas. Texas has a Class A/B commercial and Class A/B Non-Commercial. The non-commercial allows you to drive those vehicles while being not for hire. My license is a Class A Commercial, but with a P restriction,...which means I can't drive for hire, and I don't have to have a yearly physical. Don't ask me how or why it's like it is, because it's too much to explain on here. The federal law sets the baseline regarding laws,...and each state can make them more stringent,....like Texas, if they choose to.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #184

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
CDL requires annual DOT physical me thinks, and of no practical use unless you need a driving job. Eh?
Hey guys, I decided to check on the forum to see what I was missing. I am enjoying my retirement and got so busy helping my daughter remodel a house they bought in Tuscon and sightseeing that i have just ignored everything else.

You can get a CDL license if you want without a DOT physical. There is a block to check on the form DL-11cd that exempts the physical because you are not driving "as a commercial" driver, even though you have the CDL designation. But as always, you do NOT need a CDL for driving a motor home, just the proper "CLASS".

Hope you are all doing well, and happy holidays.

Jeff

steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #185

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Arkansas does not have a requirement for a special license to drive an RV no matter what the weight. Only commercial CDL
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #186
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg-limo View Post
If you are driving for hire, then you will need one. My license is in Texas. Texas has a Class A/B commercial and Class A/B Non-Commercial. The non-commercial allows you to drive those vehicles while being not for hire. My license is a Class A Commercial, but with a P restriction,...which means I can't drive for hire, and I don't have to have a yearly physical. Don't ask me how or why it's like it is, because it's too much to explain on here. The federal law sets the baseline regarding laws,...and each state can make them more stringent,....like Texas, if they choose to.
...and in Texas you can have a Class C CDL. (Needed for Hazmat)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
...and in Texas you can have a Class C CDL. (Needed for Hazmat)

Right on. I'm with ya on that one.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #188

If you're thinking about a CDL, be aware that if you possess a CDL, your threshold for DUI drops below .08. I think .02, but I may be wrong on that.

Don't get a CDL unless you absolutely need it, and you don't for a MH.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #189
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Although the "thread" is PA, there has been so many different States identified that here is one more.

In Texas and possessing a CDL there is no remedial drivers ed for any type of ticket. Just go pay your monies. No deferred adjudication with a CDL.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #190

Monaco Owners Club
Accompanying driver to testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
I am a Driver License Examiner for Penndot. You are correct, if your vehicle is over 26001 lbs you need a non-commercial class b license. You do not need the air brake restriction removed, but you should know something about air brakes because we will ask you some questions regarding them. In this case there is no pass/fail for the air brakes. You will need to take a short road test though. If you tow a vehicle or trailer in excess of 10000 lbs you will need a Class A (combination vehicles), not a class B.
I am having trouble finding someone with Class B or a CDL license to go with me for testing. Rules per PennDot say you must be. You are perhaps the best resource I found who could guide me through this dilemma. Do examiners adhere to to this policy. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #191

Monaco Owners Club
i live in Pa and drive a DP. when I got it the wife made me get my CDL, which I did through the school I taught at. I was told that it is law but not normally enforced. The scary part is how many RV drivers on the road have the training or license to drive a big rig? Many dealers just want to sell the unit and do not worry about the aftermath. I owned 2 gassers before my DP and had some experience with larger vehicles, buthte course helped a lot.

Tags
driver