Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
Every time I read a thread on this topic it makes me happy that I live I Washington where we're without those ridiculous requirements. I can kind of understand if you're over 40' and pulling a toad , but over 26,000#'s?!?
Shhhhh, Falcon 190! You might give someone in the legislature or department of revenue in Olympia an idea. They're always looking for some new money generating scheme.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #30

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
To you nay sayers of proper licensing- Wait until you have an accident or get pulled over in N.C., I guarantee you proper licensing will be discussed. In N.C. you will not be moving your MH. I also know of a recent issue in NY. The MH did not move until the owner got a properly licensed driver to do it. States everywhere have turned the former "Protect & Serve" officers into revenue collectors.
Not sure what prompted those comments.....

I know that there was not anything that I said that indicated in the slightest that a driver should not have the correct license for their situation.

Regardless, even though I have a Class A coach, it is a gasser and my Class C drivers license is the correct license according to NC law.

My RV and toad together does not exceed either the combined gross weight limit, nor the combined length limit. Therefore, in NC I am not required to get a Class B license.

My Class C, regular drivers license, is all that is required. And I have not found any state yet that does not recognize my NC Class C license as valid and adequate either, as they accept it as valid due to the NC laws.

I have not verified this for Canada yet, but I doubt that there will be any issue there either.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #31

Here in Ontario, and the rest of Canada AFAIK, drivers licences are categorized purely on weight. There is no distinction between private and commercial use per se. The one small distinction is that a few years back they brought in a new restricted version of the highest class of licence. Up here the usual drivers lic. (Class G) lets you drive a vehicle (but not with air brakes) up to 11,000 KG (24,250 pounds) and a tow a trailer up to 4,600 KG (10,141 pounds). The new restricted Class A lets you tow a trailer bigger than allowed by a G lic. BUT, it must be a boat or RV and it MUST be towed with only a pickup truck, nothing bigger. The problem most folks don't realize though is there's an over-riding limit. If the weight of the towed vehicle or the COMBINED weight of the towed vehicles exceeds 4,600 KG (10,141 lbs) you MUST have the higher Class A licence.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Not sure what prompted those comments.....
Not pointed at you or any one that posted.

Just personal experience in NC. We entered NC with a lot more money than we left with from a registration error that was turned into a huge overweight fine.

They have really been targeting hobby racers and and I will bet RVers and horse people will be soon.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #33
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgrey View Post
Does anyone know if it's required Va, also help me understand what if I live in a state that doesn't require it do I need it to drive thru other states that do?
Maybe this link will help others also. Also, all of the states have reciprocal driver license agreements. If you are legal in your state of residence, you are legal in all the other states.

RV Driver License Requirements

Note: There are 4 states that require CDL's IF certain conditions are met. So let's not ever say again that there is no state that requires a CDl for an RV.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for the posting with the link Wayne. It really simplifies things.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #35

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidonato View Post
Steinjef, Thanks for the quick reply. I feel confident up until I read a post on this topic about bringing a CDL driver with me to the test. Is that a must. If so I'm dead in the water. Just thought maybe I can call the Harrisburg Fire Dept. or a paid Fire Dept. near Carlisle, Pa and see if I can "rent" a Brother Firefighter that has the CDL, some time on his hands, and could use a couple of bucks. I'm a recently retired Fire Captain. I'm hoping I do not need the driver with me. Thanks again for all of your help. I go a week from this Tues. in Carlisle Respectfully, Dave K
Ok, these explanations are confusing to say the least. I will try to clarify things for you. You do not need a "CDL" driver with you. You need a driver with the "same" class as you are testing for. In your case it is a Class B Non-commercial.
As i stated in an earlier conversation. "Commercial" licenses are exactly that, they are used for intrastate or interstate commerce which is regulated by the Federal Government. Since you are not using the vehicle for "commercial" purposes you do not need a "CDL" license.

The confusing part is this. The answer is in the Pennsylvania Commercial Drivers License book. Which you can pick up for free at any Driver License Center in the state. The answer is in the beginning of the book on like page 4. Listed under "EXECPTIONS". Certain drivers do not need a CDL license such as FIREFIGHTERS, MOTORHOME, EMERGENCY VEHICLES.

This is the part you do not want to be confused on. You do not need a CDL (Commercial License) But you do need a license for the "proper" class which is regulated by the WEIGHT of the vehicle. In our case this is a
Class B NON-COMMERCIAL.

More of what is adding confusion is this: The Motorhome industry has chosen to call the big rigs CLASS A motorhomes (this has nothing to do with driving regulations). For the Dept. of Transportation description they are actually CLASS B vehicles. I hope this part makes sense so far.

The description for the DOT of a CLASS A is a COMBINATION VEHICLE. So in this class you are TOWING something. The towed vehicle (trailer), must weigh over 10,001 lbs. You should NOT need a NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS A License unless you are towing a MONSTER Toad.

The AIR BRAKE designation is a "restriction" on a CDL license and is removed when you buy an Airbrake knowledge authorization permit, and take the written test, and then the driving test. Since you are a Non-Commercial driver, this part does not apply to your license. You are not tested on this. The examiner MIGHT ask you some questions about air brakes but it should have no bearing on your Class B pass or fail results.

The Commercial test also includes a PRETRIP, and a SKILLS test which are done in the parking lot. Do not confuse this with the ROAD TEST. That is the third part of a Commercial test.

You are ONLY required to take the ROAD TEST for a NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS B.

I hope this has helped you or anyone else that has gotten confused.

See ya
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
Ok, these explanations are confusing to say the least. I will try to clarify things for you. ...
YA DONE GOOD!

Perhaps the best write up on the whole subject and is probably very pertinent/accurate to almost any state with requirements for special licensing for motor homes. It would fit IL to a "T".
Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #37

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I believe that when it pertains to driver's licenses, the only thing regulated by the Federal Government is the CDL license, which is not required in the majority of states. There are exceptions.
Yes, sorry...I didn't mean to confuse anyone. The Fed's regulate intrastate and interstate commerce. Commercial Licenses and commercial vehicles.

you are also correct about exceptions. "Recreational Vehicles" are exempt from having a Commercial Drivers License in PA, however you should have the proper class in Non-CDL.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #38

steinjef- Good explanation. Now if you can educate PENNDOT on what their regulations are, we will be in business.

One other thing that has not come up that is worth mention. It is the weight sticker that the mfg. puts on your unit that matters. Not the actual weight of it. Mine going down the road is under 26,000lb. but the sticker shows GVW is 33,000lb. and GCWR is 53,000lb. so I need a Class B.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
steinjef- Good explanation. Now if you can educate PENNDOT on what their regulations are, we will be in business.

One other thing that has not come up that is worth mention. It is the weight sticker that the mfg. puts on your unit that matters. Not the actual weight of it. Mine going down the road is under 26,000lb. but the sticker shows GVW is 33,000lb. and GCWR is 53,000lb. so I need a Class B.
good point az99!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #40

Mid Atlantic Campers
I heard that your tow vehicle needs to be registered for the weight of your rv in PA is that true also???
inspecterbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspecterbak View Post
I heard that your tow vehicle needs to be registered for the weight of your rv in PA is that true also???
If the trailer is over 10,000 the towing vehicle has to be registered in combination. I got a $900 lesson in that a long time ago in NC.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhubbert3 View Post
Shhhhh, Falcon 190! You might give someone in the legislature or department of revenue in Olympia an idea. They're always looking for some new money generating scheme.
XX3!!!!!!

Tags
driver