Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #43

Be careful as far as the requirement to have a driver licensed to drive your RV go with you to the DMV station where you are trying to get your upgraded license. States may well be different. I accompanied a fellow RV'er when he went to get his license in Maryland, his home state. I have a Delaware Class B CDL but am not driving commercial any longer. Before the license candidate even went out to the RV, the examiner required me to produce my valid CDL. He also asked for my medical certificate. Since I am not driving commercially any longer, I am NOT required to have a current medical certificate, and I told the examiner this. He simply nodded and handed my CDL back to me. Don't know if he wasn't clear on that requirement or it was a fishing question.

For those thinking of getting a CDL in a state that doesn't require a non-commercial special license for an RV, you need to be careful about the medical requirement. Individual states may or may not require the certificate for the initial issuance of the CDL. The Feds are in the process of tightening up medical certificate issuance. Here in Delaware after January 2014, you must get the certificate only from a doctor that has been specially certified to issue them. Up until now any state licensed physician could issue the certificate. Just another new Federal hoop to jump through, and we'll be paying more money for the privilege, I'm sure. Pity the poor Docs and guys driving big rigs for a living.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #44

Pigman1- Why on earth would you ever even consider getting a CDL just to drive an RV? It is NOT a commercial vehicle.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Pigman1- Why on earth would you ever even consider getting a CDL just to drive an RV? It is NOT a commercial vehicle.
See post 9
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #46

He wants to be a commercial driver. That has nothing to do with getting a CDL just to drive his personal motorhome.
The point I was trying to make is that the proper licensing for driving your personal motorhome (thread starter) is difficult enough without trying to add more confusion and start talking CDLs.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidonato View Post
Steinjef, I'm scheduled to take my Class "B" test in Carlisle on the 19 th of this month. I live in the Poconos. It was difficult to say the least to get an appointment spot. My question is, can you give me a quick rundown of what the driving test involves. I have the air brake knowledge part down after studying the PennDot manual, and can drive the rig but wanted to know what to expect. (Parallel parking, three point turns etc.) Respectfully, Dave K
Dave: I got a CDL Driving instructor to give me a few hours of driving instruction. He had lots of experience with the local testing areas, and we reviewed lane usage, air brake operation/testing, etc. He then drove the MH to the test with me. I got a 100% on the road test. I'm sure that his training helped. Total cost to me for all his time was five hundred bucks, and I consider it the best money that I have spent on RVing.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #48

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Dave: I got a CDL Driving instructor to give me a few hours of driving instruction. He had lots of experience with the local testing areas, and we reviewed lane usage, air brake operation/testing, etc. He then drove the MH to the test with me. I got a 100% on the road test. I'm sure that his training helped. Total cost to me for all his time was five hundred bucks, and I consider it the best money that I have spent on RVing.
I guess when i retire from Penndot (hopefully next year), i should start an RV driving instruction thing. Looks like there is money in it. Maybe i can workamp it somehow?
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
I guess when i retire from Penndot (hopefully next year), i should start an RV driving instruction thing. Looks like there is money in it. Maybe i can workamp it somehow?
Get your contacts before you leave PENNDOT. I tried for over a month to get in touch with several people within PENNDOT to get info needed to start a non commercial license and testing school. Not only could I not get info, none of them even had the courtesy to return calls or emails.
I was never able to get any info as to what was required for instructor testing or testing facilities. I finally gave up.
I also talked at length with a local VoTech school that has CDL courses and testing. He did some checking and found that he was not even able to test for Non CDL class A & B.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #50

Hi Steinjef. Appreciate your responses. Please check your inbox. I sent you a private message regarding some Penndot testing advice.

Thanks,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #51
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
I understand you are a DMV tester so you would have the experience. There have been many inquiries regarding driving instructions/classes for RV's. If you were able to set up a schedule and roam around the countryside instructing I believe you could make a good go of it. I'm not sure of the business side of it for any taxes, legal stuff, etc.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #52

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I understand you are a DMV tester so you would have the experience. There have been many inquiries regarding driving instructions/classes for RV's. If you were able to set up a schedule and roam around the countryside instructing I believe you could make a good go of it. I'm not sure of the business side of it for any taxes, legal stuff, etc.

Good luck.
thanks wayne. I may consider something, but it seems to me there are plenty of RV schools already. I know RVSCHOOLS.COM has plenty of locations around the US, and special events at rallies and rv shows.

I follow Dennis and Carol's rv adventures and he did own the rv school, but sold it in 2012.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #53

My personal opinion is all states should do this,i live on the north olympic peninsulia and it seems that theres alot of unqaulified rv drivers out there,we get alot of people that retire out of boeing or microsoft or whatever and for the most part have never driven anything but a commuter car and the first thing they do when retire is go buy a 40' dp and hook a suv behind it and away they go without a clue. . .lordy!.oh and also should be required to have to carry the same medical card as a commercail truck driver and a random drug and alcahol test.
3810brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #54

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dot.state.pa.us

Thought i would post this from the Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation Website.

Hope it helps someone.

I hope it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Class of license.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	513.9 KB
ID:	50190  
Old 11-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #55

I am from South Carolina and was told by the dealer that I did not need any special license. However, I checked and found that I needed a class F license. The requirements here are:
A class E driver license allows you to operate a non-commercial truck or motor home with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) more than 26,000 lbs. A class F driver license allows you to operate a non-commercial truck or motor home with a towed unit with a combined gross vehicle weight (GVW) more than 26,000 lbs.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #56

I think the big question is how will other states handle say my state of KY where you do not need any type of special license to drive a MH?
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver