Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #85

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Florida is one of the states that fall into the confusing category. I have friends that live in Florida with coaches that are greater than 26,001 lbs. that called the DHSMV specifically questioning the above statement. They were told they fall into the category mentioned under the CDL exemptions that I previously posted. They were also told that Florida does not issue non-commercial Class A or B driver's licenses. They were assured they were perfectly legal driving their coaches with a Class E license.
Maybe this will be easier for all you Florida people. Get your regular driver license out and turn it over. Read the line that tells you what that license is good for. I think you will find it says .....less than 26001 lbs. Period. It does't say except anything.

BTW...transferred a Florida State Trooper to Pennsylvania today, so I asked him the question. Guess what.....you better be glad he didn't pull you over.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #86

I bet half the folks on this Forum couldn't pass the hearing part of the test. Me included! If the States start enforcing any of the above, goodby RV/motor home industry!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #87

Well thats one opinion i guess but the otherside is that if you have impairments like loss of sight or loss of hearing, diabetis or so on that impairs your driving ability do we really want that person behind the wheel of a 26000 lb rig pulling a 4000lb tow vehicle . .well i sure dont, safty first sorry!
3810brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #88

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
Maybe this will be easier for all you Florida people. Get your regular driver license out and turn it over. Read the line that tells you what that license is good for. I think you will find it says .....less than 26001 lbs. Period. It does't say except anything.

BTW...transferred a Florida State Trooper to Pennsylvania today, so I asked him the question. Guess what.....you better be glad he didn't pull you over.
I just checked with two of my Florida friends and had them read the back of their Class E driver's licenses to me. They both said the exact same thing:
Class E - Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26001 lbs. or any RV

Sometimes on the road LEO's are not the most reliable sources for licensing requirements for all vehicles.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I am a Driver License Examiner for Penndot. You are correct, if your vehicle is over 26001 lbs you need a non-commercial class b license. You do not need the air brake restriction removed, but you should know something about air brakes because we will ask you some questions regarding them. In this case there is no pass/fail for the air brakes. You will need to take a short road test though. If you tow a vehicle or trailer in excess of 10000 lbs you will need a Class A (combination vehicles), not a class B.
Can you provide a number to call to take this test in the Allentown area?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #90

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
........The key wording is "EXEMPT FROM HAVING A CDL LICENSE".
Please also note.....the wording is people who drive Recreation Vehicles for recreational purposes. What happens when they are actually your home on wheels.
This came from a PA State Trooper. They take note when there a rallies and the like. If a person is selling things from their motor home it would change them to "making a profit" and now you do need a "Commercial License".

Did that just totally confuse a lot of people?
I'd ALWAYS say I was on vacation even if i was Full timing RVing

Just because you sell something is not a indicator of "making a profit".
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Ok, these explanations are confusing to say the least. I will try to clarify things for you. You do not need a "CDL" driver with you. You need a driver with the "same" class as you are testing for. In your case it is a Class B Non-commercial. As i stated in an earlier conversation. "Commercial" licenses are exactly that, they are used for intrastate or interstate commerce which is regulated by the Federal Government. Since you are not using the vehicle for "commercial" purposes you do not need a "CDL" license. The confusing part is this. The answer is in the Pennsylvania Commercial Drivers License book. Which you can pick up for free at any Driver License Center in the state. The answer is in the beginning of the book on like page 4. Listed under "EXECPTIONS". Certain drivers do not need a CDL license such as FIREFIGHTERS, MOTORHOME, EMERGENCY VEHICLES. This is the part you do not want to be confused on. You do not need a CDL (Commercial License) But you do need a license for the "proper" class which is regulated by the WEIGHT of the vehicle. In our case this is a Class B NON-COMMERCIAL. More of what is adding confusion is this: The Motorhome industry has chosen to call the big rigs CLASS A motorhomes (this has nothing to do with driving regulations). For the Dept. of Transportation description they are actually CLASS B vehicles. I hope this part makes sense so far. The description for the DOT of a CLASS A is a COMBINATION VEHICLE. So in this class you are TOWING something. The towed vehicle (trailer), must weigh over 10,001 lbs. You should NOT need a NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS A License unless you are towing a MONSTER Toad. The AIR BRAKE designation is a "restriction" on a CDL license and is removed when you buy an Airbrake knowledge authorization permit, and take the written test, and then the driving test. Since you are a Non-Commercial driver, this part does not apply to your license. You are not tested on this. The examiner MIGHT ask you some questions about air brakes but it should have no bearing on your Class B pass or fail results. The Commercial test also includes a PRETRIP, and a SKILLS test which are done in the parking lot. Do not confuse this with the ROAD TEST. That is the third part of a Commercial test. You are ONLY required to take the ROAD TEST for a NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS B. I hope this has helped you or anyone else that has gotten confused. See ya
I am ready to take my test and can't find anyone with a class "B" license to go with me.....is there's another option? I know a tractor trailer driver who could accompany me...would that be ok?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #92

There are around 15 states that require a DL based on the weight of the vehicle. The rest don't have any options but CDL, reg OL or motorcycle lic. I asked the DMV and they said when the rules where written MH's didn't weight over the 26k limit. Hence the current loophole with just using a reg OL.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
I am ready to take my test and can't find anyone with a class "B" license to go with me.....is there's another option? I know a tractor trailer driver who could accompany me...would that be ok?
Anyone with a Class A or B non commercial or CDL is OK. I had a friend with a Class A CDL ride with me.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #94

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Anyone with a Class A or B non commercial or CDL is OK. I had a friend with a Class A CDL ride with me.
Thanks for responding. Where did you take your test and who did you call to get the appointment?

Stan
Old 11-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #95

Stan,

You first need to apply for a class B non-commercial "permit" before scheduling a test. Go to the PennDOT website and search for the permit application.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Just an update for those following this thread.

I went to PennDOT in Wilkes-Barre and got my Class B learners permit on the spot. Cost a whooping $5.

All that is next is to schedule the driving test and I'm good-to-go.
I asked if I needed anyone with a current class B to accompany me and the answer was no. They said it would be pretty difficult to find someone.

Big thumbs up to guys at Penndot. They were very helpful.

I hope this update helps someone. (I feel like it's about time I was able to contribute considering how much I have learned from this site)
Old 11-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #97

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I just checked with two of my Florida friends and had them read the back of their Class E driver's licenses to me. They both said the exact same thing:
Class E - Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26001 lbs. or any RV

Sometimes on the road LEO's are not the most reliable sources for licensing requirements for all vehicles.
Yep....that is correct GVWR less than 26001 lbs. That is why you need the upgrade on MH over 26001 lbs.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #98

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VrrmmRydr View Post
Just an update for those following this thread.

I went to PennDOT in Wilkes-Barre and got my Class B learners permit on the spot. Cost a whooping $5.

All that is next is to schedule the driving test and I'm good-to-go.
I asked if I needed anyone with a current class B to accompany me and the answer was no. They said it would be pretty difficult to find someone.

Big thumbs up to guys at Penndot. They were very helpful.

I hope this update helps someone. (I feel like it's about time I was able to contribute considering how much I have learned from this site)
Customer service that is what we are all about. At least I feel confident that any Pennsylvania Licensed drivers that read these posts will have the correct license.

I am happy i was able to impart my many years of experience with some of you.

Tags
driver