Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #99

Tiffin Owners Club
Definitely going to get mine now. Probably at Norristown.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post

Yep....that is correct GVWR less than 26001 lbs. That is why you need the upgrade on MH over 26001 lbs.
Steinjef,

I think you missed the "..., or any RV" that is on the back of my FL license.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #101

Quote:
Well......Here is another example.... i will post this web site for you. I am just saying check with your state for yourself. Example here...bobged says FL does not need a non-cdl class b., where in fact they do. See for yourself.
I will repeat myself, I do not know of any state that does not require the proper license for the type of vehicle you are driving.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

I think Arizona is a state that doesn't have the upgraded licenses. I checked three or four years ago and they didn't have the NON-CDL. You either got a CDL or a regular license, like the one you drive your car with. I don't know what their requirements are as of now, but at least during that time that was all you could get.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Florida is one of the states that fall into the confusing category. I have friends that live in Florida with coaches that are greater than 26,001 lbs. that called the DHSMV specifically questioning the above statement. They were told they fall into the category mentioned under the CDL exemptions that I previously posted. They were also told that Florida does not issue non-commercial Class A or B driver's licenses. They were assured they were perfectly legal driving their coaches with a Class E license.
The sad part is that not everyone who works for the states know all the laws. For instance, I'm licensed in Texas. I went to a DMV in Dallas and told the clerk, "I want a Class A NON-CDL." She looked at me and told me, "there's no such thing." I told her, "yes it was." We got in somewhat of an argument right there at the counter. She left and came back with her supervisor and I stated, "I need a Class A NON-CDL because I'm about to purchase a motorhome the grosses 26k lbs. And according to the laws of the state of Texas, this license upgrade is what I need to be legally certified to drive that vehicle." That supervisor called his supervisor and talked to him. He came back and said "ok, go over there and sit at that computer, and we'll have you start your test." I started taking the different parts. I noticed i had already taken three or four sections. I got to one section and the test started off by asking me air brake questions, and i knew that wasn't supposed to be on there,…I got up and left the office. I knew they were testing me for a CDL. I went back home and while on my way, I stopped in Corsicana and asked about it,…and in a few mins, i was filling out the right paperwork and took the tests for the NON-CDL. Passed with flying colors, but failed the demonstration of how to check for an air leak the next day though. The examiner wanted me to pass, she even tried to explain the air leak test to me, but i couldn't even repeat it back to her. I took the test a year later with my motorhome and passed everything with flying colors. That experience for me just showed that not everyone who is a government employee is kept up to date on the laws of the states. I even got stopped by a Tx CVE for speeding. He asked me for my license and I handed him my Class C license, and he explained to me that i wasn't properly licensed to drive this vehicle. I played the dumb role acting like i didn't know what was going on, but he even acknowledged that most of the state troopers that he works with don't even know about that law.

I think when you people ask about license requirements at the DMVs, they should ask about license upgrades for that particular class of weight rating, and then if they say no, then ask them to put it in writing. That's just my opinion.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg-limo View Post
I think Arizona is a state that doesn't have the upgraded licenses. I checked three or four years ago and they didn't have the NON-CDL. You either got a CDL or a regular license, like the one you drive your car with. I don't know what their requirements are as of now, but at least during that time that was all you could get.
Arizona:
Driver's license and CDL manuals imply that a CDL is required above 26,000 lb GVWR. However, A.R.S. 28-3102 exempts RV's from CDL requirement.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Arizona:
Driver's license and CDL manuals imply that a CDL is required above 26,000 lb GVWR. However, A.R.S. 28-3102 exempts RV's from CDL requirement.
I was just adding to the list of states that didn't require the upgraded license,…that's all.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #105

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Yep....that is correct GVWR less than 26001 lbs. That is why you need the upgrade on MH over 26001 lbs.
Interesting, in an earlier post you advised anyone with a Florida Class E license to read what it says on the back. I posted what it says and you completely ignored the ...or any RV portion of the statement.

I don't mean to get personal, but it seems to me you are just having a hard time admitting you're wrong when it comes to Florida licensing requirements.

In any event I'm done. Here's wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #106

I wish everyone a happy thanksgiving. Having the right license based on the weight of the MH is a good idea. My uncle just came in from FL and his license says the same thing, good for any vehicle up to 26k or any RV. I wish states would make it simple for all RVers. Those of you guys in PA and TX glad you got your right DL. The government never makes it easy. A lot of us fall into a gray area, where our states don't have a non-commerical option. It's either reg DL, CDL or motorcycle and that's it. But anyway happy holidays and be safe out there.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #107

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Interesting, in an earlier post you advised anyone with a Florida Class E license to read what it says on the back. I posted what it says and you completely ignored the ...or any RV portion of the statement.

I don't mean to get personal, but it seems to me you are just having a hard time admitting you're wrong when it comes to Florida licensing requirements.

In any event I'm done. Here's wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.
sure did miss it!
some others have posted that even the DMV's are confused or don't seem to have "special" licenses.
Even some of the Troopers are confused. I guess it all comes down to whether or not the guy that pulls you over or the judge that hears the case
understand (or not).
In any event I really don't care if a person even has a license, as long as they can safely drive the vehicle in which they are behind the wheel.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
As the old saying goes......"Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law"
The laws (all of them) are written and filed in your licensed state and if you have the ability to be on this forum you can for sure look up the law's that govern your state where you live. Don't rely on asking someone else, even Officers of the law, DMV offices, or others as they might be guessing or just plain ignorant to what they are telling you and they might think they know when if fact they don't. Look any question you have about any law in Pennsylvania here: The Pennsylvania Code Online and you will know first hand what is going to get you arrested!
Folks in Texas and Florida are hashing this around on other threads right now also...... what is on the books "Is the law" ........no guessing or misinformation.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #109

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe once I get my license I'll print out the section that shows I have the correct one and keep it with my papers, just in case....
Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #110
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And don't forget. Laws change. If you have a license manual for your state that is old, get the newer version. Some things stated in older versions are not in the newer versions. It pays to check every once in a while to keep up-to-date.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I am the one that started this thread back on 11/7. I'm quite impressed of the 110 responses. Yesterday, I went for my Class B drivers test. It was thorough and to the point. It consisted of a check of all lights, wipers and safety equipment. Then, about a 5 mile trip on the interstate and town streets. I can brag now - I passed with flying colors. If you read and study the PA CDL Drivers Manual, it is a piece of cake! I feel relieved that now I can drive anywhere in the great USA and know I have the proper license. Not that I am a better driver, but definitely more educated. I encourage everyone to be informed of what is required in your particular state and comply. As I stated in my original post, my concern is being stopped for anything and being informed I am parked until I can provide a driver with the proper license. I'm good to go - now let's get packed. Oh, and now my former employer, who employs many CDL drivers tells me I must also have a 'medical card'! Says that is the up and coming thing for commercial drivers and is tougher and more strict than licensing requirements. After 1/1, drivers are to be tested for sleep apnea problems and for BMI [body mass index], which means you're overweight! Oh no! I interpret the requirement is for 'commercial drivers only'. But beware, the way our governments operate, the Class B status may draw us into something else. At my driving test, there was no mention of a medical card and of course, I was not about to ask! Anybody have knowledge of the medical card requirement?
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Medical exam not required in NC for class B Lic. Examiner made a point to inform me of this.

Congrats on your success. I have to agree, after reading the CDL handbook, there is definitely more there than most people are aware of. Thanks for being a responsible driver.

Tags
driver