Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #113

Freightliner Owners Club
Here are the license requirements by State to operate an RV. As mentioned laws do change... So it has a link to each States driver license website..
RV Driver's License Requirements

Some states and D.C. require a CDL above 26k or over 45 foot length.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #114
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Typically (note: Typically) medical cards are not required for non-CDL license holders. However, if you fail the eye test you may be denied any license. Hee hee! (Unless you are over 75 - justg kidding all us senior citizens)

Congratulations on your passing with flying colors.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #115

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
Well, I am the one that started this thread back on 11/7. I'm quite impressed of the 110 responses. Yesterday, I went for my Class B drivers test. It was thorough and to the point. It consisted of a check of all lights, wipers and safety equipment. Then, about a 5 mile trip on the interstate and town streets. I can brag now - I passed with flying colors. If you read and study the PA CDL Drivers Manual, it is a piece of cake! I feel relieved that now I can drive anywhere in the great USA and know I have the proper license. Not that I am a better driver, but definitely more educated. I encourage everyone to be informed of what is required in your particular state and comply. As I stated in my original post, my concern is being stopped for anything and being informed I am parked until I can provide a driver with the proper license. I'm good to go - now let's get packed. Oh, and now my former employer, who employs many CDL drivers tells me I must also have a 'medical card'! Says that is the up and coming thing for commercial drivers and is tougher and more strict than licensing requirements. After 1/1, drivers are to be tested for sleep apnea problems and for BMI [body mass index], which means you're overweight! Oh no! I interpret the requirement is for 'commercial drivers only'. But beware, the way our governments operate, the Class B status may draw us into something else. At my driving test, there was no mention of a medical card and of course, I was not about to ask! Anybody have knowledge of the medical card requirement?
Great job Bertman!

The Medical Card (aka MEC) is ONLY required if you have a CDL license AND meet certain conditions. This is a FEDERAL requirement not a STATE requirement. Although the states have been charged with capturing the medical card information and passing it to the feds.

This is rather technical information, so if you want to learn more if would suggest you look it up. The form you need in Pennsylvania is DL-11 cd.

This is a BRIEF description of the Four types of drivers that are recognized by the Feds. These codes are entered into your cdl driving record.

NI = Non-exempted Interstate. This person has a Commercial license and drives outside the state, hauling product for someone that is making a profit. This person requires a MEC.

NA = Non-exempted Intrastate. This person has a Commercial license but does not leave the state, hauling product for someone that is making a profit, or hauling hazardous material. This person requires a MEC.

EI = Exempted Interstate. This is someone that has a Commercial license and drives out of state but does not haul product for profit. ie: bus drivers.

EA = Exempted Intrastate. This is the same as an EI, but does not drive out of the state.

Be sure to read page two of the form for all the descriptions and EXECPTIONS. Yep this is the Government there are things in here just to make it confusing.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ms/DL-11CD.pdf
Old 12-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #116

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I didn't mention that there are not changes to the current physical, at least not by 1/1/14.

There are some changes later in 2014, such as the Doctors will have to be approved by the Feds in order to give the MEC physical.

Also, If a CDL driver does not comply to the MEC they WILL be "DROPPED" from Commercial status to NON-Commercial status. If they want their CDL back they will need to start the entire testing process from the beginning.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #117

The above information is essentially the same for Delaware. For those of us with a CDL, we were required to complete and sign a certificate stating which category we fell into. If we were in one of the first two we were required to furnish the state with a copy of our current medical certificate with the returned certificate. If we were in either of the last two categories, we did not need to forward the medical certificate, but we still had to return the signed form or the CDL would be converted to a standard state license. Since these requirements are being driven by the FEDs, I expect all states have some sort of similar program. Minor details will, no doubt vary, but the basics will be the same.

Good luck with your new "ticket", Bertman.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #118
Future Full-Timers

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pennsylvania's Confusing

We recently purchased our 1st Motorhome, a 42ft Class A, Fleetwood Excursion the unit has air brakes and rated for 31,000 lbs. After reading some posts regarding a special drivers license Iwas very confused and contacted PennDot by phone. I was told I needed a Class B Non-Commercial drivers license. I was told I would have to take a basic driving skills test.
I also stopped by a local testing facility and received the same information and was told there wasn't a handbook to study.
I got my permit and scheduled the Class B test. My buddy that has a CDL went with me the day of the test. The test was very short as the instructor stated that I should have studied the Air Brake Section and testing procedure that is in the CDL testing handbook. He told me to go home and study the test, reschedule the test and come back when ready. I asked why I wasn't told about this and he stated that appears t be a communications problem within PennDot but that wasn't his concern that I should have studied.
I did study and took the test passing the airbrake test well and also the driving part which did consist of pulling up to cross bars but not going over. backing up in straight line and stopping before the stop bar. I also had to parallel part the beast inside a 100ft rectangle which was much easier than I thought. We finished by driving in the pubic up to a local mall and back.
I think the 2000+ miles I put on in the time between failing the test and retesting helped with my driving skills.
I definitely didn't like the lack of communications within PennDot that led to me being failed the first time but was glad to have to study about the Air Brakes which I found interesting and important things to know. I do feel better knowing I am legal to drive the Beast both for Police and insurance purposes.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #119
Future Full-Timers

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PennDot Confusion

As a follow-up to my previous post.

A previous post by Steinjeff I believe stated that you aren't tested on Air Brakes but you will be asked questions to show you have a basic knowledge of the system.
That was not the case with my PADOT instructor as he failed me immediately due to the fact that I could not perform the Air Brake Test as outlined in the Manual. So either this gentleman is testing wrong for the Class B Non-Commercial or others are.

My friend that I brought along (He had a CDL and I needed someone along to satisfy the permit requirements)and I knew we were in trouble when the 1st thing the instructor asked us was "Who owns the Motorhome and evidently doesn't have to work for a living" In less than 5 minutes the test was over and I had failed the Air Brake Test without even starting up the coach.

Hate the way it played out but still glad I have a better understanding of the Air Brake system
Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bompa3752S View Post
I knew we were in trouble when the 1st thing the instructor asked us was "Who owns the Motorhome and evidently doesn't have to work for a living" In less than 5 minutes the test was over and I had failed the Air Brake Test without even starting up the coach.

Hate the way it played out but still glad I have a better understanding of the Air Brake system
Wow. A stellar example of a civil servant striving to satisfy their customers I guess.

Glad it worked out for you though.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #121

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
As a follow-up to my previous post. A previous post by Steinjeff I believe stated that you aren't tested on Air Brakes but you will be asked questions to show you have a basic knowledge of the system. That was not the case with my PADOT instructor as he failed me immediately due to the fact that I could not perform the Air Brake Test as outlined in the Manual. So either this gentleman is testing wrong for the Class B Non-Commercial or others are. My friend that I brought along (He had a CDL and I needed someone along to satisfy the permit requirements)and I knew we were in trouble when the 1st thing the instructor asked us was "Who owns the Motorhome and evidently doesn't have to work for a living" In less than 5 minutes the test was over and I had failed the Air Brake Test without even starting up the coach. Hate the way it played out but still glad I have a better understanding of the Air Brake system

Bompa...too bad you couldn't have taken the test with Jeff Stein in Hazleton. I took my test with him and He could not have been more accommodating. While giving me a thorough test, he was friendly, encouraging and instructive. His welcoming demeanor and helpful and supportive attitude so impressed my DW that she is now more confident in her ability to drive our rig. I left there with the proper license and a new friend.

The important thing is that you are now properly certified to handle your equipment, legal, and far less likely to have trouble going through a DOT check point.

Congtats!
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #122

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a commercial B, California.
Air brakes and passenger endorsements.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #123
Future Full-Timers

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DW's test

After reading the posts from Steinjef he appears to be a more tolerate instructor for PennDot. This issue appears to be extremely unclear within his ranks and open to great interpretation.
My DW wants to study and get her Class B license just to have in case something should happen at least she would be legal and qualified as well.
We got her permit the other day but probably won't test until at least spring of 2014.
It may benefit us to take a trip to the Hazelton PA area's testing site so she can be tested by Mr Stein as he seems to be a far more understanding person.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #124

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
After reading the posts from Steinjef he appears to be a more tolerate instructor for PennDot. This issue appears to be extremely unclear within his ranks and open to great interpretation.
My DW wants to study and get her Class B license just to have in case something should happen at least she would be legal and qualified as well.
We got her permit the other day but probably won't test until at least spring of 2014.
It may benefit us to take a trip to the Hazelton PA area's testing site so she can be tested by Mr Stein as he seems to be a far more understanding person.
Bompa,
I sincerely apologize on behalf of Penndot and all of the Driver License Examiners that take the time to understand their jobs and all of the nuances that go with it. Yes there are a lot of technical issues, and yes as in any organization (also this being the government) there are constant changes, and gray areas.
The person that made that comment was out of line (joking or otherwise), and should have been reported to the Supervisor.
To clarify the "TEST".....You did not purchase an "Air Brake" permit so therefore there is not a "formal" test for YOU on air brakes. YOU CANNOT FAIL THE AIR BRAKE QUESTIONS BECAUSE THERE IS NO TEST. We do tell anyone that inquires at our site, to study the "CDL" Manual, because even though you are not going Commercial, the information you need for the weight class is covered in the commercial manual (not the non-commercial manual which is geared to automobiles)
I know you passed you test and i am happy for you. I am repeating the information here again so that anyone else that is reading this will know where to look.
I also stated that some sites do more or less in the testing than others. I personally do not do a "minimum" test, I am rather thorough, but I do understand that you are not a commercial vehicle. I do ask questions for your own benefit, to make you safer. If you don't know something I will try to help you understand.
Please don't take this one persons shortcomings and think it is the norm. If you would like to speak with me, I can be reached at 570-459-3918.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #125

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Wow. A stellar example of a civil servant striving to satisfy their customers I guess.

Glad it worked out for you though.

Rick
FWIW....If a complaint would have been registered with Penndot, the Management would definitely have looked into it. Ever complaint MUST be investigated and dealt with. Believe me, we do get our share of complaints, justified or not....after all we are "just" civil servants. (but some of us do have Masters degrees). just saying.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #126

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Bompa...too bad you couldn't have taken the test with Jeff Stein in Hazleton. I took my test with him and He could not have been more accommodating. While giving me a thorough test, he was friendly, encouraging and instructive. His welcoming demeanor and helpful and supportive attitude so impressed my DW that she is now more confident in her ability to drive our rig. I left there with the proper license and a new friend.

The important thing is that you are now properly certified to handle your equipment, legal, and far less likely to have trouble going through a DOT check point.

Congtats!
Thanks Stan&Jacquie I owe you one!
I am looking forward to giving Jacquie the test. Study your Air Brakes for the NON-TEST.

Tags
driver