Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #15

Steinjef, I'm scheduled to take my Class "B" test in Carlisle on the 19 th of this month. I live in the Poconos. It was difficult to say the least to get an appointment spot. My question is, can you give me a quick rundown of what the driving test involves. I have the air brake knowledge part down after studying the PennDot manual, and can drive the rig but wanted to know what to expect. (Parallel parking, three point turns etc.) Respectfully, Dave K
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #16

Getting properly licensed in Pa. is not an easy task. After many days of research I still had to get our State Reps office involved to even get the correct permit. When we went to take the driving test it was total confusion as they had absolutely no idea what or how to test us. Even though supposedly not required, we had to do the CDL air brake test and then drive the CDL test course.
The testers were not trying to fail us. They just did not know what to do with a non CDL. We were also told by PENNDOT that we did not need to bring a 10K plus trailer to test for the A. Just an over 26K vehicle.
The other issue was finding someone with a Class A to ride along as we only had permits.
At the end of the day 2 of us wound up with Class B licenses.
My wife now got her permit and she is not going to test due to such the hassle. Just keep renewing the permit for $5.

To you nay sayers of proper licensing- Wait until you have an accident or get pulled over in N.C., I guarantee you proper licensing will be discussed. In N.C. you will not be moving your MH. I also know of a recent issue in NY. The MH did not move until the owner got a properly licensed driver to do it.
States everywhere have turned the former "Protect & Serve" officers into revenue collectors.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Every time I read a thread on this topic it makes me happy that I live I Washington where we're without those ridiculous requirements. I can kind of understand if you're over 40' and pulling a toad , but over 26,000#'s?!?
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidonato View Post
Steinjef, I'm scheduled to take my Class "B" test in Carlisle on the 19 th of this month. I live in the Poconos. It was difficult to say the least to get an appointment spot. My question is, can you give me a quick rundown of what the driving test involves. I have the air brake knowledge part down after studying the PennDot manual, and can drive the rig but wanted to know what to expect. (Parallel parking, three point turns etc.) Respectfully, Dave K
I went to Norristown. We did not have to do any parking. They made us do a standard walk around safety check of lights,tires,horn, wipers etc. Then the air brakes. Took us on the CDL course and pretty much just made sure you are driving safely and not hitting stuff. Had a low bridge to avoid and a restricted weight road to try to make you turn on. Really no big deal at all. The actual driving test was the easy part.
Be sure you have someone with an A or B with you as they also document that.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I am in NC, got my "B" endorsement in Sept. I went in for my permit & written exam then 2 weeks later I did my driving test. I could have done it all at the same time but logistics with the MH was a factor for me. Both times I went in to the Kannapolis examiners office the examiners took about 20 minutes to decide if I needed an endorsement or not. They finally decided I did as I already knew. I asked about needing a driver to be with me, they said they would not ask or check how I brought the MH to the exam. Not sure all offices are that way , but Kannaplois was for me. The driving test itself was as described above, very basic. I think the examiner was more excited about riding in the MH than she was about giving the exam.

I got mine for the same reason as the OP + not wanting the insurance company to bulk if I ever have a claim. It's a small price & hassle to pay to be sure you are legal & covered. Cost me $45 for the "B & M" endorsements then I am good for 7 years. "M" is for motorcycle endorsement. I also learned some driving techniches I didn't know and some info about air brakes from reading the CDL book.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #20

I got my Class B non commercial license about 2 years ago in Maryland. The walk around part of the test was sorta difficult and I drove for about 45minutes to an hour. I fot to know the inspector fairly well and finally said ," Who is going to pay for all this fuel we are using?" She then said to go back to the MVA Office. My opinion is do it!!!
mdshedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #21

Does anyone know if it's required Va, also help me understand what if I live in a state that doesn't require it do I need it to drive thru other states that do?
mothgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidonato View Post
Hi Dave,
You are absolutely correct about the amount of time it takes to get a test at Penndot. They do not book tests inside a 6 week window. The trick is to check everyday and maybe you can pick up a cancellation. So, the test. I would hope the examiner tests you the same as we do in Hazleton. The test is ONLY a driving test. We do ask some questions in regard to Air Brakes, but your answers have no bearing on pass/fail of the driving test. The test should be the same route as the regular CDL test. You must obey all traffic signs, speed limits, and general rules of the road. You should be constantly checking your rear view mirrors, keep checking on traffic. If you have a questions after the test, don't be argumentative, but perhaps the supervisor will be able to help you if the examiner cannot.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Getting properly licensed in Pa. is not an easy task. After many days of research I still had to get our State Reps office involved to even get the correct permit. When we went to take the driving test it was total confusion as they had absolutely no idea what or how to test us. Even though supposedly not required, we had to do the CDL air brake test and then drive the CDL test course.
The testers were not trying to fail us. They just did not know what to do with a non CDL. We were also told by PENNDOT that we did not need to bring a 10K plus trailer to test for the A. Just an over 26K vehicle.
The other issue was finding someone with a Class A to ride along as we only had permits.
At the end of the day 2 of us wound up with Class B licenses.
My wife now got her permit and she is not going to test due to such the hassle. Just keep renewing the permit for $5.

To you nay sayers of proper licensing- Wait until you have an accident or get pulled over in N.C., I guarantee you proper licensing will be discussed. In N.C. you will not be moving your MH. I also know of a recent issue in NY. The MH did not move until the owner got a properly licensed driver to do it.
States everywhere have turned the former "Protect & Serve" officers into revenue collectors.
DO NOT become confused between a Class A MH and a Class A driver license. A Class A MH requires a Class B driver license (or what ever your state calls it for driving a vehicle over 26000 lbs.) The classes are regulated by the Federal Goverment not the State.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
DO NOT become confused between a Class A MH and a Class A driver license. A Class A MH requires a Class B driver license (or what ever your state calls it for driving a vehicle over 26000 lbs.) The classes are regulated by the Federal Goverment not the State.
I believe that when it pertains to driver's licenses, the only thing regulated by the Federal Government is the CDL license, which is not required in the majority of states. There are exceptions.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgrey View Post
Does anyone know if it's required Va, also help me understand what if I live in a state that doesn't require it do I need it to drive thru other states that do?
If you are compliant with the laws of your home state, you're good to go in any state in the union.

Quote:
Now I'm confused.

What "classes" are regulated by the Feds? I think it's only for CDL requirements.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #26

Steinjef, Thanks for the quick reply. I feel confident up until I read a post on this topic about bringing a CDL driver with me to the test. Is that a must. If so I'm dead in the water. Just thought maybe I can call the Harrisburg Fire Dept. or a paid Fire Dept. near Carlisle, Pa and see if I can "rent" a Brother Firefighter that has the CDL, some time on his hands, and could use a couple of bucks. I'm a recently retired Fire Captain. I'm hoping I do not need the driver with me. Thanks again for all of your help. I go a week from this Tues. in Carlisle Respectfully, Dave K
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #27

I just checked the Ohio DMV site and All RV's are exempt from CDL, Class "A" and "B" licensing requirements regardless of weight.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #28

Quote:
I do not understand your reply in reference to my post. It says nothing at all of a Class A motorhome.

Tags
driver