Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2013, 04:14 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanso View Post
I think the big question is how will other states handle say my state of KY where you do not need any type of special license to drive a MH?
Every state honors the license from where the driver resides. Just be sure of your state laws.......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #58

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I think the big question is how will other states handle say my state of KY where you do not need any type of special license to drive a MH?
Not to be antagonistic or offend anyone......
Driver Licensing is what i do for a living, I checked the KY Driver License requirements and they are the same as Pennsylvania. You do not need a "CDL" License, but you DO need the proper license for the Class of vehicle you are driving. Anything over 26001 Lbs requires a Class B license.
I would advise again that you check with the DOT as well as State Police.
I think most of you will find this same to be true in all 48 contiguous states.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #59

Steinjef,

If anyone should understand the requirements, it should be you given your profession. What impresses me most about this topic is just how little is known about the license requirement by the typical motorhome owner, myself included. In my opinion, there is very little exposure of this topic from sources such as RV dealers who sell the units, MH magazines who publish all types of articles, insurance carriers who should be concerned, travel clubs, and the list goes on. That's not to say that this has never been discussed or published…it has. Just saying that it seems to a fairly obscure requirement, and at a minimum, a frequently misunderstood topic.

I appreciate your postings that have helped me better understand the PA requirements. BTW - I just applied for my class B permit.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
I think most of you will find this same to be true in all 48 contiguous states.
I don't wish to offend either, but this is actually not the case. Just to name a few, here are some states that do not require a special license to operate a non-commercial motor home based on weight or anything else; OR, WA, ID, MT & FL. CA residents can operate a motor home up to 40' in length, regardless of weight, with a regular driver's license.

I personally agree that all states should require a special license based on the weight formula, but it is what it is. I live in NV and am required to have a non-commercial Class B license.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #61

For those who are residents of states that do not require additional licensing, I think it's only a matter of time before it happens. Just a brief look back will show that more and more states are adding additional requirements. I'm sure some of this is caused in part by pressure from federal authorities as they tighten CDL rules and regs, but I also agree that someone who has been driving a VW bug or the equivalent for the past 50 years needs more training, information, and practice before driving a 70' 45,000 pound combination vehicle down the street.

Has anyone ever heard an RV salesman say that their service department is anything but the very BEST you could ever find, or that perhaps you need more training and experience and need a special license to drive the rig they're looking to buy? Yeah, don't depend on it, and definitely don't hold your breath until it happens.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #62

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I don't wish to offend either, but this is actually not the case. Just to name a few, here are some states that do not require a special license to operate a non-commercial motor home based on weight or anything else; OR, WA, ID, MT & FL. CA residents can operate a motor home up to 40' in length, regardless of weight, with a regular driver's license.

I personally agree that all states should require a special license based on the weight formula, but it is what it is. I live in NV and am required to have a non-commercial Class B license.
Well......Here is another example.... i will post this web site for you. I am just saying check with your state for yourself. Example here...bobged says FL does not need a non-cdl class b., where in fact they do. See for yourself.
I will repeat myself, I do not know of any state that does not require the proper license for the type of vehicle you are driving.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Old 11-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #63

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Steinjef,

If anyone should understand the requirements, it should be you given your profession. What impresses me most about this topic is just how little is known about the license requirement by the typical motorhome owner, myself included. In my opinion, there is very little exposure of this topic from sources such as RV dealers who sell the units, MH magazines who publish all types of articles, insurance carriers who should be concerned, travel clubs, and the list goes on. That's not to say that this has never been discussed or published…it has. Just saying that it seems to a fairly obscure requirement, and at a minimum, a frequently misunderstood topic.

I appreciate your postings that have helped me better understand the PA requirements. BTW - I just applied for my class B permit.

cheers,
Joopy

Congrats on your Class B permit.....let me know how you make out!

I think it is the wording that gets most people confused.

The Non-CDL Classes of licenses are mentioned in the --GET THIS -- CDL section of Driver Licensing in almost (if not every) state. They are listed as people who are EXEMPT from having a "CDL" license. RV drivers are in this catagory. The key wording is "EXEMPT FROM HAVING A CDL LICENSE".
Please also note.....the wording is people who drive Recreation Vehicles for recreational purposes. What happens when they are actually your home on wheels.

This wording is NOT to be read as "EXEMPT FROM HAVING A LICENSE FOR THE CORRECT WEIGHT CLASS".

Insurance companies don't necessarily care if you have the correct license or any license for that matter. They insure the vehicle.

RV dealers probably view this as not good for sales if people knew before hand that they need a license upgrade.

I don't know where the others are on the issue, maybe it is too controversial for them.

Here is another little wrinkle for people to think about. We have been talking about just having the correct license for the correct size vehicle.

This came from a PA State Trooper. They take note when there a rallies and the like. If a person is selling things from their motor home it would change them to "making a profit" and now you do need a "Commercial License".

Did that just totally confuse a lot of people?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Well......Here is another example.... i will post this web site for you. I am just saying check with your state for yourself. Example here...bobged says FL does not need a non-cdl class b., where in fact they do. See for yourself.
I will repeat myself, I do not know of any state that does not require the proper license for the type of vehicle you are driving.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
The site you linked to does not list a non-commercial Class B license. They do list commercial Class A, B & C, however under CDL Exemptions it lists:
Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes.

I agree with you that everyone should be properly licensed in their legal state of residence for the type of vehicle they are driving. However that does not necessarily mean that all states require something other than a regular driver's license to operate, for example, a motor home weighing >26,000 lbs.

When I purchased my coach I was a resident of ID. I was not required to have anything other than my regular driver's license.

I don't know if the following FMCA link to the individual state's requirements will work if you're not a member:
http://www.fmcmagazine.com/images/st...lations_11.pdf

If that doesn't work, here's another site that definitely should:
RV Driver's License Requirements

Again I am in agreement that every state should have higher licensing standards based on the vehicle's weight and/or combination of vehicle's weight, but the fact is they don't.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Not to be antagonistic or offend anyone...... Driver Licensing is what i do for a living, I checked the KY Driver License requirements and they are the same as Pennsylvania. You do not need a "CDL" License, but you DO need the proper license for the Class of vehicle you are driving. Anything over 26001 Lbs requires a Class B license. I would advise again that you check with the DOT as well as State Police. I think most of you will find this same to be true in all 48 contiguous states.
I have checked and both state police and Dept of Transportation says MH are exempt regardless of weight. All we need in KY is class D which is reg operators license.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #66

Quote:
I have checked and both state police and Dept of Transportation says MH are exempt regardless of weight. All we need in KY is class D which is reg operators license.
You better get it in writing or have them refer you to the specific law document that says it.
I can tell you from personal experience that being told by the DOT people and the police holds no value when you run into the officer who actually knows the law.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #67

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The site you linked to does not list a non-commercial Class B license. They do list commercial Class A, B & C, however under CDL Exemptions it lists:
Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes.

I agree with you that everyone should be properly licensed in their legal state of residence for the type of vehicle they are driving. However that does not necessarily mean that all states require something other than a regular driver's license to operate, for example, a motor home weighing >26,000 lbs.

When I purchased my coach I was a resident of ID. I was not required to have anything other than my regular driver's license.

I don't know if the following FMCA link to the individual state's requirements will work if you're not a member:
http://www.fmcmagazine.com/images/st...lations_11.pdf

If that doesn't work, here's another site that definitely should:
RV Driver's License Requirements

Again I am in agreement that every state should have higher licensing standards based on the vehicle's weight and/or combination of vehicle's weight, but the fact is they don't.
The OP for this thread was for PA licenses and originally that is what i was addressing. I work for Penndot so that is the state i definitely know.

The reference links are great pieces to review. Please also note the the FMCmagazine also contains a disclaimer that each person needs to check with their individual state for better clarification.

That is what i have been saying all along.

Unfortunetaly there is a lot of mis-information as well as mis-understanding of facts. The nature of the answer may be relevant to how the question was asked. Alot of what i see (or interpret) is the difference bewteen a CDL vs Non-CDL classification.

I think perhaps we need to hear from people that have actually gone through a DOT check point and the reactions of that experience. No matter what state you are licensed in. The real proof is going to be whether or not you got a warning, a ticket, or a fine.

This subject is definitely gray in a lot of areas. If you really want to have some fun, start checking how vehicles (particularly 5th wheels) need to be registered. Some will need to have a GVWR on the registration of the tow vehicle, as well as a "Combined" GVWR for the combination, and may require a different class of license.

Yes someone could argue, that this is a Recreational Vehicle. What is your state (or the one you are passing through) "definition" of a recreational vehicle.

I think i will start a new thread for the DOT Check point experiences.

Thanks all, I hope some of you have gotten good information, especially for Pennsylvania Licenses.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I went to Norristown. We did not have to do any parking. They made us do a standard walk around safety check of lights,tires,horn, wipers etc. Then the air brakes. Took us on the CDL course and pretty much just made sure you are driving safely and not hitting stuff. Had a low bridge to avoid and a restricted weight road to try to make you turn on. Really no big deal at all. The actual driving test was the easy part.
Be sure you have someone with an A or B with you as they also document that.
So you're local. Can I enlist you to help me if I need a Class A/B ride-along?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #69

KY doesnt have a non CDL option

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
You better get it in writing or have them refer you to the specific law document that says it.
I can tell you from personal experience that being told by the DOT people and the police holds no value when you run into the officer who actually knows the law.
EXEMPTIONS
The following groups are exempt from the CDL requirements, provided they meet all the criteria
Drivers of vehicles that are designed as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel
use, and operate on their own motor power or are mounted on or drawn by another vehicle
KY does not have a non CDL option for DL. Its either CDL for commercial purposes or Regular license.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #70

that being said KY seems to be the easiest when it come to DL requirements. Other states not so much. I noticed one CA requirement is to have a DOT medical card every 2 years. There is also a lot of confusion when it comes to this and some people's state DOT and state police have no idea either sometimes.

Tags
driver