Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #71

Delaware also has exemption for anyone driving a personal, non-commercial RV. A trip to DMV got me a highlighted copy of the DE driver manual, and also a copy of the applicable section of the Delaware statute, again suitably highlighted. Took about 10 minutes from a very helpful and knowledgeable young lady. NO WAITING. WOW> great customer service.

In summary, a standard driver license (Class D) is all that's required regardless of weight and toad weight as long as your driving/pulling with a privately owned motorhome/recreational vehicle.

Medical certificates are required when driving commercially with a CDL. if you have a CDL and are no longer driving commercially you are NOT required to have a current medical certificate. Treatment of the certificate depends on the state, in that you may be required to get the certificate from ANY doctor in the state or from one certified by the state to issue such certificates. Also some may require a med certificate to get your INITIAL CLD and others may only require it if you drive commercially.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #72

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Florida = The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:

Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles that are equipped with extraordinary audible warning devices that display red or blue lights and are on call to respond to emergencies;or
Military personnel driving military vehicles; or
Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm; or
Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes; or
Drivers who operate straight trucks (single units) that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.
SEE THAT 8 LINE DOWN DRIVER OF REC VEHICLES
Old 11-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
Florida = The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:

Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles that are equipped with extraordinary audible warning devices that display red or blue lights and are on call to respond to emergencies;or
Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm; or
Drivers who operate straight trucks (single units) that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.
So it says you are exempt from a CDL. It does not say you are exempt from being licensed to the proper weight class of your vehicle.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post

I don't think there's any question that Florida doesn't require a CDL to drive any sort of motorhome for personal use. The issue is the requirement of some other "special" class of non commercial license to operate a heavy coach. It's between the standard passenger car license class and the CDL.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #75
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Florida does not require a special license.

Here is the link with the RV Driver License Requirements
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #76

PA Drivers license class B

I just came to the realization that I will need the Class B license. Now I am trying to understand exactly what is required in order to obtain it. If I need to take a road test in the RV since this is the vehicle I need the license for or can it be any vehicle with air-brakes used for non-commercial purpose?
__________________________________________________ _______
D and D Clydes - 2014 Newmar Ventana LE 3845
danddclydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Florida does not require a special license.

Here is the link with the RV Driver License Requirements
NonCommercial Driver Licenses

CLASS E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles

So how do you see an RV over 26,001 lb. fits that description?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad I came across this thread. It looks like I will need to get my Non Commercial Class B License. I just need to find out what steps are required.

ie.. What form specifically to fill out....Permit first?...Schedule a test...etc.
If anyone has that information off the top of their head, i would appreciate it.

Otherwise, I will look into it on Wednesday and post my findings for everyone else.

Oh yeah, I am located in the Wilkes-Barre Area

Thanks to all for all the good information so far.
I've learned a lot from this site.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #79
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post

CLASS E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles

Huh? May I ask why you are asking me? The explanation under Florida in the links states what people need to know. It is not my web site, just posted what I thought was a helpful link. Don't shoot the messenger, please.

I'm in Texas, the thread is about Pennsylvania, and the post referred to is regarding Florida. How often, and to soon, the topic goes "off-topic."

I guess I should have posted my comment as. "There are states that have special provisions. The link below should help," and then posted the link.

In all fairness to the web sites that post information there is only one authority, and that is the licensing bureau of the state a person wishes to obtain a driver's license from.

Thanks for the reply.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Huh? May I ask why you are asking me?
I was asking you because you posted- "Florida does not require a special license."

By reading Fla. regs I don't believe that is true and did not want others to be mislead. That info was from 2005.

My reply was that simple. Nothing personal.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrrmmRydr View Post
Glad I came across this thread. It looks like I will need to get my Non Commercial Class B License. I just need to find out what steps are required.

ie.. What form specifically to fill out....Permit first?...Schedule a test...etc.
If anyone has that information off the top of their head, i would appreciate it.

Otherwise, I will look into it on Wednesday and post my findings for everyone else.

Oh yeah, I am located in the Wilkes-Barre Area

Thanks to all for all the good information so far.
I've learned a lot from this site.
Go here- Driver License Forms, Publications and FAQs.
Download Form #DL-180 and send in $5.00 to get your permit. Call PennDot and schedule a test. Be sure to tell the person at least 10 times it is for a Non Commercial Class B.

I believe the rest of the procedure was covered earlier in this thread. Good Luck
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #82

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Florida is one of the states that fall into the confusing category. I have friends that live in Florida with coaches that are greater than 26,001 lbs. that called the DHSMV specifically questioning the above statement. They were told they fall into the category mentioned under the CDL exemptions that I previously posted. They were also told that Florida does not issue non-commercial Class A or B driver's licenses. They were assured they were perfectly legal driving their coaches with a Class E license.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Go here- Driver License Forms, Publications and FAQs.
Download Form #DL-180 and send in $5.00 to get your permit. Call PennDot and schedule a test. Be sure to tell the person at least 10 times it is for a Non Commercial Class B.

I believe the rest of the procedure was covered earlier in this thread. Good Luck
Thank you,
As they say, "the check will be in the mail".
Old 11-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #84

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VrrmmRydr View Post
Thank you,
As they say, "the check will be in the mail".
hey vrrmmrydr...I am right down the street in Hazleton. The folks at Wilkes-Barre are great. The Supervisor there is very, very knowledgeable, as a matter of fact he is the Acting District Manager when the regular guy is out.

If you need any help just give us a shout, be glad to help.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver