Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Pennsylvania RV Drivers License

Pennsylvania does require a Class B drivers license for a motorcoach of 26,000 lbs GVW or more. Or, for a combination [meaning with a towed trailer] in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVW trailer weight. Many motorhomes weigh more than the 26,000 and some tow a trailer that weighs more than 10,000 GVW. My question is - How many PA RV drivers out there have the necessary Class B license? I have spoken to RV dealers and they are in the dark regarding this license or just want to avoid the issue. I spoke with two reps from PennDOT and after they spoke with a minumum of 5 other reps, could finally confirm this. The issues could be - get stopped by law enforcement for any issue and have the officer tell you that you are not allowed to operate your RV. Secondly, get into an accident and law, or a court come down on us for not having the proper license. Could be a big liability. So, who has a Class B License?

bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #2

Got my class B for the exact reasons you stated. I could just hear the lawyer saying "He was even licensed to drive it" I too spoke to several people before getting the right answer. I think we all know why the dealers aren't telling people they need to have a class B. RV sales would drop. Easy license to obtain, must know the air brake and take a road test.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a Driver License Examiner for Penndot. You are correct, if your vehicle is over 26001 lbs you need a non-commercial class b license. You do not need the air brake restriction removed, but you should know something about air brakes because we will ask you some questions regarding them. In this case there is no pass/fail for the air brakes. You will need to take a short road test though. If you tow a vehicle or trailer in excess of 10000 lbs you will need a Class A (combination vehicles), not a class B.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
My guess would be less than 10% have the proper license,
the test is BS, and they try their best to make you fail.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
My guess would be less than 10% have the proper license,
the test is BS, and they try their best to make you fail.
maybe they are trying their best to keep you safe!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
and they try their best to make you fail.
So, if they test your knowledge that means they're trying to make you fail?
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Got my class B Non Commercial.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #8

PA is not the only state, I have heard TX is doing the same and causing some trouble if you are stopped. Up to the point you have to get a paid driver to drive your vehicle out of TX past the state line, if you can't get the proper certification for yourself.

The safe way is to get your proper license certification. In my state of NM I got a non-commercial license for over 26,000 lbs, called a class E here (as in exempt-CDL). No real test, just a form to self-certify and pay your money
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
North Carolina has the same weight limits before you need the Class B.

I am under the limit with my 33' gasser and my toad, but with a little larger RV and toad (especially a DP) I would need to also upgrade my license.

It can't be all that hard to get the proper license.... I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a new RV....

Heck, I think I may go get a CDL, them I could work part time and pick up about $750/wk doing what I like doing.... I simply love driving long hulls...
Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
PA is not the only state, I have heard TX is doing the same and causing some trouble if you are stopped. Up to the point you have to get a paid driver to drive your vehicle out of TX past the state line, if you can't get the proper certification for yourself.

The safe way is to get your proper license certification. In my state of NM I got a non-commercial license for over 26,000 lbs, called a class E here (as in exempt-CDL). No real test, just a form to self-certify and pay your money
Now THAT's something I'd like to hear more about. Where did you hear this?

I got my Texas non commercial Class B when I became a Texan for the reasons stated by the OP. It's been my experience that a lot of DOT and LEO in Texas was also very much in the dark about these requirements. Livingston Texas was the exception since that's where Escapee's Club is home based.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In New York State you are required to have a "R" endorsement on your drivers license in order to operate a Motor Home of 26,000 pounds or more. Like noted in other posts, there are very few owners, Motor Vehicle Examiners, Law Enforcement personnel, and Motor Home Sales personnel that know of the requirement or will admit they know it. It took me a considerable amount of effort and research to find this out. I ended up researching the New York State Motor Vehicle Law, where it is clearly stated. I did take the road test, which was not that difficult, since I had already driven 18,000 miles in my Motor Home over a year period. I figured that I needed to protect myself by having the proper license. I'm pretty confident that if I was somehow involved in an accident, it would not be to difficult for a lawyer to figure out what license I was required to have in order to properly operate my Motor Home.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here we go again!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Maryland has similar requirements, and I got my Class B non-commercial there, only after wading through a number of MVA staff who didn't understand the law themselves. The examiner was very good (and fair) though -- he was the same one at that office who does the CDLs, and actually gave me some helpful tips during the on-road test.

Then I moved to Delaware, where they have no such requirement for MHs. Still glad I did the test, though, it was a useful learning experience.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
Pennsylvania does require a Class B drivers license for a motorcoach of 26,000 lbs GVW or more. Or, for a combination [meaning with a towed trailer] in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVW trailer weight.
Not correct. Class B is for over 26,000 with a trailer under 10,000. Class A is required for a trailer over 10,000.

Tags
driver