Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Percentage Off Asking Price for Used Coaches

I've read here numerous times that, if buying a new coach, I should aim to negotiate roughly 20-30% off of the listed MSRP - but is there a comparable rule of thumb for used coaches? I've been checking online via NADA guides for used coaches I'm interested in, but some dealers have certain coaches seemingly below and way above the NADA guidelines - hard to figure out what to come in at.
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #2

seedealercost com is an idea
irv2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think there is any rule per se. I offered 20% less on a used one from a privare party via consignment from a friend who owns an RV repair shop. The coach was priced about right, but they did take the offer on a cash deal. On another coach years ago, they asked $11k and they took 7.5k. Mostly depends how long it's been for sale and how desparate they are.

I would never start at anything higher than 20% off with a private seller and about 30% with a dealer. You can always come up if refused, but once you commit, you can't lower your offer.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
NADA is a guideline for used.
I'd do two things:
1) Search tradeonline.com for the year/make/model nationwide. This will give you the "asking" range.
2) Search craigslist nationwide for the same thing. You can do this with google via "1998 Holiday Rambler Vacationer site:craigslist.org" (don't put the quotes in)

From there, you come up with a range.
Used coaches will have a pretty wide range because they can be found in varying conditions. Additionally dealers seem to be the worst as they'll try and get $X for a coach that they have no history on (auction unit).

Hope that helps. If you're thinking about something in particular, post it up here and people will give you opinions on it..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Used coaches are not sold the same way as new coaches. Used are priced all over the place. Owners are often upside-down on them and want to get enough to pay them off when the market is not there. What we have seen over the past few years in this economy is that used RVs sell for NADA Guides, low retail with no options added . This is for an RV that is in good shape. Worn and dirt units sell for less. Needing tires and maintenance lowers the value.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #6

Start low enough to make them look at you like you had 3 heads, and negotiate from there. It is YOUR money on the line.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all of the advice. As a first timer, I'm taking it really slow and trying to take in as much information, theories, etc. as possible.
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Timing and location are also important. I went looking in October-November. Here in Northern VA the inventory of used MHs were low so the dealers were asking high NADA values for the clean/maintained coaches. However, in AZ the inventory was plentiful so most of the units in similiar condition were below NADA values. By going to AZ, we found a coach that had the features we wanted (king bed, 1.5 bath) and tons more instead of settling for a coach that only had one or the other features we wanted. Trip to AZ, Coach, delivery, TT trade pick up and extended warrantee for thousands less than the local dealers wanted on a "smaller" coach.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #9

Playtime hit the nail on the head, timing is everything, this time of the year you're appt to pay much much more than waiting till late fall. We bought our first MH in Late Oct. Also bought our first and second 5th wheels in late Sep/Oct, Best time to buy, more for your money!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Dealer was asking $259K, we settled on $215K for our 2006 CC. The longer a coach sits on a lot the more they will be willing to negotiate. Ours was only on the lot for 3 months, but that's 3 months of interest payments for them.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #11

Regarding used coaches, EVERY one of them is different. A fair price is going to be almost completely about condition, and maybe options to a lesser extent.

After shopping for a while, you should get a feel for a range of prices for a particular model, but there's no way you're going to get much closer without touching it. Do not trust pictures or the seller's comments.

A fairly priced coach in good (or better) condition may demand asking price. Depending on how "used" you're talking about, they can be pretty difficult to locate?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #12

If you are negotiating with a Dealer, I think you should be very aggressive...you can always go up and they don't take negotiation personally. Regardless, remember to always be polite because they do take rudeness personally and you may shoot yourself in the foot!

When negotiating with a private Seller you need to be both polite and more careful with your initial offer as they WILL take the negotiation personally...it's there baby! Regardless, you need to have a price and be prepared to walk if necessary.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Once you pick out your rig, go to NADA and sign up for a trial account, which is good for 10 days. Input what the rig has on it in the way of options, then see what the wholesale value is. The number they show you as a consumer is higher than the one they give to dealers.
When I bought my rig, I used the wholesale number from the trial account. I stood firm on it, and ended up getting it for that price. They tried to get me to budge, I didn't. I told them summer was already half way over, and they would be sitting on it for another year. I walked out the dealership, told them to call me when they want to sell it. Took them a few days, and a few more offers, but they gave in. With a dealership I will take no prisoners.
If it is a private party, tread lightly, they want it to go to a good home, and most if you ask what is the lowest they will take for it, you can bypass the back and forth negotiations, and you will know if it is what you want to spend. Private Parties are so much easier to deal with.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote