Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
I have the Ultrapower chip on my C7 and love it. We have had wondeful results so far on our first trip. Mileage and power increase. The install was pretty easy.

I have driven diesel engines with chips or programmers on them for years and have always lived by the rule that as long as you don't try to run the vehicle into the ground you will not have any problems at all. EGT temps are important but as long as you don't try and run up hills with the pedal mashed to the floor and still go full speed you will be alright.

I'd recommend the chip to anyone.

And from the looks I might be inclined to get a better exhaust system to get the hot exhaust gases out of the engine more quickly.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 AM   #16
iRV2 Sponsor

The exhaust/muffler requires the most attention. If you have a muffler shop close by they can do the hard work and you can install the AFE and Module yourself.

We're happy to ship anywhere.

Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
The module itself can be used safely on a MH if your intake and exhaust systems are of a free flowing design. I would however limit usage to the second position on the selector switch, which is the 15% increase position. That will provide enough of a boost for you when towing without excessively increasing your EGT's.

As for an increase in MPG's it depends on your driving style. If you keep your foot off the floor and maintain a reasonable driving style, you will notice an increase in MPG. However, if you like to race up the hills and be the first one in line all the time, then your mileage will most likely decrease.

I am a big fan of gauges, so depending on your setup the more the better. I am running a VMSpc program that takes several critical engine and transmission functions right from the engine diagnostic port. Real time accurate info.

The MP8 is a reasonable, well designed module. There are some out there that go way outside the paramaters of "reasonable". It's your rig, and your decision.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
One thing that bothers me here is the extra load on the running gear, especially the Allison transmission.

I'm looking at the spec sheet for the 3000MH tranny most of us have mated to our CAT C7's. Max input power is rated at 400HP and 1200ftlbs. A 15% increase on top of 350HP would be 402HP. Marginally acceptable I supposed. But the 30% setting would be way beyond spec.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
The horsepower numbers are mildly interesting, and not the main source of stress. Horsepower is what you use running at speed. It is torque that supplies the tremendious strain on the running gear. Torque is what moves you from a dead stop, or pulls you up that grade. If you are worried about overloading the Allison, look at the torque numbers.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #20
iRV2 Sponsor

vicsryd

Torque at the ground at the 30% setting is 1100 on the CAT C7.

Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
The consensus in the CATRV Club forum is the chip is not advisable while the engine is still under warranty.

Also, there is quite a bit of sentiment against the AFE filer. The reason cited is the cotton element is too pourous when it's clean allowing larger particles to enter the intact. When it's dirty the AFE is no more effecient than the stock air filter.

I'm going to pass for now.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote