Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

Permanently removing screen door

Hi,

The screen door on my Itasca Latitude is driving me half mad with rattles. I have added foam to the door and replaced the latch but it still rattles like mad.

I am thinking of just removing the screen door as we never use it anyways.

Has anyone else done this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #2

UD-

I removed ours to rescreen it... but I put it back. Drilled out the hinge rivets to remove, then reinstalled with stainless steel screws. This will make it easier to remove next time. Your coach's screen door may not mount the same way.

You should do what you want, but I would not remove ours. It acts as a large window for air movement. It's the closest our cat comes to going outside.

Our screen door rattled, too. We've tracked down the causes and fixed them, one by one. Every now and then, a rattle returns, for a while. I have found that warping of the screen door affects how it bears up against the bumpers. The kind of constant rattling that drives you crazy is a sign of this. I have "unwarped" our coach's screen door a couple of times, until things quieted down. We also keep a piece of jar-lid opener material near the door to close under the screen door bottom lip, should a rattle reappear.

In the course of replacing our screen door latch (and adding a bicycle spoke to allow opening from inside without sliding the cover), I noticed how sensitive the adjustment is on the hook that holds the latch to the outside door. An adjustment as small as a sixteenth of an inch made a big difference in how well the two doors closed and opened and latched.

I suppose you could say I have a pretty low bar for fascination.

Anyway, I'd keep the screen door, if I were you. Which, I'm not.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'm converting a coach and it did not come with a screen door. I installed one of these magnetic screen door curtains. It works quite well. Once you get used to walking thru it, it's barely noticed. Of course, it doesn't contain pets and probably isn't for everyone. It definitely does not rattle!
Old 09-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

Cheers Mark,

Great advice as always. Thats very true about keeping it.

That makes sense about warping as spoke to a Winnebago tech and he said the door may be bent.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I'm converting a coach and it did not come with a screen door. I installed one of these magnetic screen door curtains. It works quite well. Once you get used to walking thru it, it's barely noticed. Of course, it doesn't contain pets and probably isn't for everyone. It definitely does not rattle!
Hi JD,

That could be an option also :-)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #6

One word of caution on removing the screen door. Make sure the magnet that operates your steps isnt on your screen door. Our dog ripped up our screens, and the little women took off the screen door to have the screens repaired. I was taking the rv to our cottage, and got a call from the wife behind me in the car. The steps were out as I was driving down the road. I didnt realize the switch for the steps was on the screen door, and with no door in place, the stairs didnt recognize that the door was closed. Yours may or may not be like that, but mine were, and I was lucky to have not bent my stairs.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One more suggestion....in our MH the metal screen at the bottom was loose in the frame and rattling. I stopped that with silicone adhesive squirted into the cavities!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #8

Thanks Winniman and Joe,

I gave the door a good slam and it seems more secure. I am hoping this may resolve the issues.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: screen door

In my 60+yrs, seems every time I throw away something stored 10-30yrs, I NEED it the following week :-(, but if you dispose of the, you prob reduce your resale by $1000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
UD-

I removed ours to rescreen it... but I put it back. Drilled out the hinge rivets to remove, then reinstalled with stainless steel screws. This will make it easier to remove next time. Your coach's screen door may not mount the same way.

You should do what you want, but I would not remove ours. It acts as a large window for air movement. It's the closest our cat comes to going outside.

Our screen door rattled, too. We've tracked down the causes and fixed them, one by one. Every now and then, a rattle returns, for a while. I have found that warping of the screen door affects how it bears up against the bumpers. The kind of constant rattling that drives you crazy is a sign of this. I have "unwarped" our coach's screen door a couple of times, until things quieted down. We also keep a piece of jar-lid opener material near the door to close under the screen door bottom lip, should a rattle reappear.

In the course of replacing our screen door latch (and adding a bicycle spoke to allow opening from inside without sliding the cover), I noticed how sensitive the adjustment is on the hook that holds the latch to the outside door. An adjustment as small as a sixteenth of an inch made a big difference in how well the two doors closed and opened and latched.

I suppose you could say I have a pretty low bar for fascination.

Anyway, I'd keep the screen door, if I were you. Which, I'm not.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #10

I hear you on that :-)

Tags
door, scr