Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #15

Real silicon...RTV sticks well to darn near anything if properly done.

Clean and dry are a must.

If there is any condensation or oil film it will fail.

Aquariums are built with only that so it does work.

Prep mating surfaces with alcohol and make sure clean and dry then light bead on one side and install.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I use Butyl tape on all mine, works for the vents ect.

93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #17

The MH ceiling fans do not have the volume/capacity to pressurize the MH to 2-3 psi, which is what the SealTech System does very well. Remember the air loss around slideouts, windows, and the door must be overcome before any internal pressure occurs. The fan SealTech uses looks like a 24" squirrel-fan with an 18" flexible hose attached to a roof vent opening. This system DOES WORK as advertised. Of course the thoroughness depends on the operator/RV technician.

I too recommend removing clearance lens and inspecting for leaks. A couple of mine leaked, and I discovered water was entering the lens, but dirt/dust had sealed the bottom half of the lens/housing surfaces. This allowed water to build-up in the lens until it reached the wiring hole through the base , through the end cap, and down the inside of the cap. My solution was to seal the end cap wiring hole with butyl tape and drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the lens to prevent water accumulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Real silicon...RTV sticks well to darn near anything if properly done.

Clean and dry are a must.

If there is any condensation or oil film it will fail.

Aquariums are built with only that so it does work.

Prep mating surfaces with alcohol and make sure clean and dry then light bead on one side and install.
Been there done that. After a year or longer you can grab one end of a bead of silicone/RTV with pliers and pull the entire bead away from the hard surfaces. It will not adhere long-term to slick surfaces, and those surfaces must be cleaned with a special cleaner before more silicone/RTV will stick again.
I will never use silicone sealants again on my RV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It amazes me when people say silicone doesn't work on an RV. Look at almost any DP. All of the moldings are installed and sealed with silicone, along with the windows and doors. If you don't believe me, just look at one.

If it's applied to a clean surface you'll spend all day trying to get it off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #19

I would think you need to turn on all the air conditioners and make sure everything is sealed, like the heat vents and the small heat outlets. Also you'll get air going out the slides. I would keep the slides in while doing this. They do this on houses to find out where air is escaping to the outside.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
I would think you need to turn on all the air conditioners and make sure everything is sealed, like the heat vents and the small heat outlets. Also you'll get air going out the slides. I would keep the slides in while doing this. They do this on houses to find out where air is escaping to the outside.
Don't air conditioners and furnaces re-circulate interior air instead of pulling in outside air? How would that pressurize the coach, or house for that matter?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 12-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unfortunately the clearance lights weren't the source. I made an appointment to have a negative pressure test completed since it doesn't sound like it's something I'll be able to do myself at home.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It amazes me when people say silicone doesn't work on an RV. Look at almost any DP. All of the moldings are installed and sealed with silicone, along with the windows and doors. If you don't believe me, just look at one.

If it's applied to a clean surface you'll spend all day trying to get it off.
You are 100% correct Don.
However, not all Silicones are the same. When I was sealing my new marker lights, I spent a lot of time reading the back of the product to find the proper one. I ended up with a Marine selection that is compatible with moisture and extreme temperature changes.

During the replacement process, I had to reseal the joints between the rear cap and the roof. These still had the OEM Silicone from 2003. I can tell you it was no push over getting the old stuff out.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #23

There is silicon then there is silicon RTV tgen a few others

The folks at local box store had no clue what RTV was...

Do not get the latex stuff
Old 12-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #24

If you watch the Foretravel Relm video, about 4:27 into the movie he says they use no silicone on the MH. Must be a reason.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #25

I have the same leak issue on my 2002 Eagle. Here is the weird thing. It doesn't leak every time it rains. This has been puzzling me for a long time. Even in hard rains when it does leak, it only leaks enough to get a paper towel damp. I tried running water on the windshield one time and got nothing. This had me thinking marker lights. Nope. I tried my own air test and got no bubbles with soapy water. I had the passenger side windshield caulk redone twice. Still leaked occasionally. I finally scheduled a Sealtech test at Mesa RV about a week ago. Before they hooked anything up the techs hit the front windshield with a hose. Bingo, water leak found at the very spot that had been resealed twice. I will now have the windshield removed and resealed.

It was strange how this happened sometimes it rained. I think the hole is so small that contraction and expansion with heat may have something to do with the intermittent leak.

JJ
Old 12-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
3m 5200. that is the stuff McGregor used to build their boats. black around the windows and white for everything else. HOWEVER it is not as easy to use. little working time and needs chemicals to clean up. took days to get off my skin but the window never leaked again.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I also have one of those leaking marker lights. I re-watched the video about silicone and at 4.27 he says a "bead of silicone" I have heard that you are not to use it on your MH, after I used some, now he says they used it.
If I have to take them off and clean and reseal then I am going to replace them with LED's. I like the idea about using Plumbers Putty???
JS tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak