Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #15

If you have room, you might consider Vanguard's Manabloc System. It is like a breaker box for plumbing. One valve for each fixture, a line runs from the manabloc directly to the fixture, no fittings except for the one that attaches it to the sink fauce, shower faucet, or whatever. The beauty of it is, if you get a leak in one, you just turn the valve on the manabloc to shut that one off, much like turning off the one electrical breaker in your house, and the rest of the plumbing still works. Best of all you use 3/8 inch pipe, which is much easier to snake through everything, and it still delivers all the water you could ever use...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
If you have room, you might consider Vanguard's Manabloc System. It is like a breaker box for plumbing. One valve for each fixture, a line runs from the manabloc directly to the fixture, no fittings except for the one that attaches it to the sink fauce, shower faucet, or whatever. The beauty of it is, if you get a leak in one, you just turn the valve on the manabloc to shut that one off, much like turning off the one electrical breaker in your house, and the rest of the plumbing still works. Best of all you use 3/8 inch pipe, which is much easier to snake through everything, and it still delivers all the water you could ever use...
Neat system - the minibloc would work well in my application. Also like the 3/8 inch pipe. The smaller line easily exceeds required capacity even with long multiple pipe runs. Thanks for the information!

Old 12-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklehner View Post
Thanks to all for the great response and information!
After review of your comments and additional research, I will be using the clamp system. Mainly due to the tight space I will be working in and the fairly significant amount of plumbing that will be involved (re-position of the fresh water tank and pump, by-pass valving, low point drains, etc.), clamps seem to be the most viable option. Of course if the RV turns into an indoor rain forest, I might re-think this option! In anticipation of such an event, I will have an appropriate selection of Sharkbite/Gatorbite fittings to mitigate DW's DA comments.........

Many thanks to all
Take lots of pictures and document your experience. Consider adding a post in the iRV2 blog section, but at least post before and after photos. Good luck with your project!
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #18

I would never do this but many do. Jf you need something like the pex crimper go to one of the big box stores and buy it for your wife. When you are done return it explaining you bought it for her and she didn't like the color.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I would never do this but many do. Jf you need something like the pex crimper go to one of the big box stores and buy it for your wife. When you are done return it explaining you bought it for her and she didn't like the color.

Ah bldrbob - love the reply! Of course my wife might smack me over the head in the big box while returning "her" crimper because she would find out!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you provide pics of before and after once the job is done?

Sounds like a huge undertaking....

I can hear the start of the discourse as you wake up early one night... Hey!!! I have a great idea!!! Let's move the kitchen...
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #21

Had sharkbit came apart when freeze hit (was outside on copper water line) pushed it back together still holding, has oring (how long will that last)?

used pex with brass fittings and s/s rings (crimp) will last longer than that oring
Old 12-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Why not go to the tool rental department and rent one, sounds much better to me.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired from 35 years of plumbing.Sharkbite have their place for quick repairs on the road. I'd advise crimp. You can also buy a small crimp that does up with 7/16 ratchet for the tight places.It looks like solid piece with hole in middle that actually splits in middle with two 1/4" bolts. Great for tight places. Price of crimping tools has crashed. I used to pay $275-they're now down to $65.00. The peace of mind is worth crimping. Crimp stands up to freezing better, just DO NOT use plastic fittings.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #24

I re-plumbed my entire rig last year. I used the red and blue pex to be able to visually decipher the hot from cold lines. I also used the copper crimp rings for 2 reasons. They were well stocked at my local store and the small pocket size crimper was easier to get into tight spaces. All the valves are 1/4 turn ball valves. I did pre-assemble most of the lines that are in the water supply/sanitation compartment as it was easier than crimping 35 or so fittings in the tight spaces between the black and gray tanks and the water pump, etc. etc. etc. Then is was just a couple crimps in the tight spaces. I also used some stainless steel braided hoses to hook up to the water pump, as it will quiet things down a bit by insulating the pex system from the vibrations of the pump. Also makes changed the pump easier, if need be.

I have pictures if anyone wants to see them.
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
...I have pictures if anyone wants to see them.
Seriously? You had to ask? Yes! Please! Pretty please! We love pictures!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #26

Yeah, I guess it was a stupid question!

Attached are 2 pics of all the valves and water pump. This was the most complex part of the re-plumb. You can see the braided hoses on the right side. I count 49 crimp rings, 4 1/4 turn valves and numerous elbows and tees. I tried to keep the configuratio to follow the original layout so the instruction stickers would match up to the valve layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1345.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	16804   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1346.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	16805  

Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
Retired from 35 years of plumbing.Sharkbite have their place for quick repairs on the road. I'd advise crimp. You can also buy a small crimp that does up with 7/16 ratchet for the tight places.It looks like solid piece with hole in middle that actually splits in middle with two 1/4" bolts. Great for tight places. Price of crimping tools has crashed. I used to pay $275-they're now down to $65.00. The peace of mind is worth crimping. Crimp stands up to freezing better, just DO NOT use plastic fittings.
While replacing the kitchen faucet last summer, I ended up needing to replace a 90 degree fitting. Planned on using the copper rings, but the Lowe's I went to did not have the right crimp tool, it was for the stainless steel crimps so I exchanged the copper rings for stainless. The crimp tool was just under $40 and being a full timer buying it was a no brainer. I am sure that I will be needing it again. For more info:

PEX Information

The tool is great, put the ring in and start to close the crimp tool and it holds the ring in place. Then it must be fully compressed before it will release the ring, no chance to not fully compress or over compress the ring.

Bob
Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #28

I never imagined so many replies on the PEX question. Thanks to all!!
Just started tear down, will take quite a while as I am very slow. Taking pictures through the process and will post as things progress. Kitchen move then set up of the "entertainment" center where the oven was. Looking forward to a 3 month cross country trip to see all the family!

Tags
plumbing