Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #1

PEX Plumbing

I am about to start a new project on my little (21') gulfstream. Moving the kitchen from the center area to the back. This will remove the back bed which is a bit too short and not comfortable and place the kitchen sink and oven there. The biggest change is the plumbing. Does anyone have any advice on PEX clamp vs. crimp?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #2

Go to Home Depot and check out the Shark Bite system for PEX. No need to crimp or clamp and it can be disconnected with a special little tool. I use them on my MH

http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com/fittings/couplings
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree on the SharkBite, I've used them when replacing shower valves on both my previous motorhomes and love them, never had one leak.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

I recently replumbed my house with PEX,i would highly recommend it.Not only being able to take the viberation but in case of freezing.It is very easy to work with.
Doyle
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

use pex and shark bite you cant go wrong, I do all my own work including building the bus and used pex and shark bite, no leaks, also it is resuable, and makes fast road side repair if ever needed. just rember ot buy the tool for disconnecting, get a few and screw them to the wall some where where you can find it if needed.
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
The sharkbite or gatorbite push type fittings are very handy, but also very expensive. About $6-7 per elbow or tee.. I carry them for emergency repairs... For extensive repairs I would recommend the clamps.

I replaced all the plastic fittings in my MH with brass and used the stainless clamps. Easy to use and secure. The tools are cheaper than those for the "ring Crimps". (The plastic fittings had become brittle and were cracking)

Here is info on the clamps and the tools, they are available at Home Depot and Lowes. The ratchet tool is easy to use.
CinchClamp Ratchet Tool , Watts PEX Tool , PEX Tool , PEX Clamp Tool - PexSupply.com

hope this helps
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklehner View Post
I am about to start a new project on my little (21') gulfstream. Moving the kitchen from the center area to the back. This will remove the back bed which is a bit too short and not comfortable and place the kitchen sink and oven there. The biggest change is the plumbing. Does anyone have any advice on PEX clamp vs. crimp?
i used the vanguard plastic push-on fittings from lowes. they have brass ones too. they are very easy to install and they are reusable.
my bil is a plumber and he says that the fittings from lowes are better than the home depot ones.

Shop PEX Compression Fittings at Lowes.com
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #8
paz

Hooligan is right - the Sharkbite and Gatorbite fittings are very handy and very easy to use, but they are expensive. They are great for small projects and repairs, especially where space is limited and you can't get the crimp tool into position. You would have to weigh the cost of the Sharkbite fittings vs. buying a crimp tool, although I think the home improvement stores will let you rent a tool for a nominal fee or they may even let you borrow one for free.

I don't know what the difference in performance is between the stainless steel pinch clamps and the solid copper rings, but FWIW the solid rings look more substantial and all the RVs I have seen use them instead of the clamps.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #9

The whole reason I suggested Shark Bite fittings was so you don't have to use crimp on. Because I don't do it all the time I don't seem to be very good at doing crimp on clamps if the angle is wrong and I had one come loose and blow water all over the place in my previous MH.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #10

My entire water system is put together from the factory with the pinch clamps. 4 years and no leaks yet. The pinch clamp tool is $49, clamps are $4 for a pack of 10. I've added a water filter into my system, and replaced a faulty backflow valve. The plain PEX fittings are much cheaper than the sharkbite fittings. A few $1.25 fittings instead of $6.90 pays for the tool in a few years and then you have it forever. I can't imagine the price of replacing every fitting with sharkbite.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #11

The most reliable system is the press on style and the best manufacturer is Viega. Shark Bites and others of their ilk have their place in quick repairs and tight places but the fact that they can be removed means that they can also come apart on their own. Here is a link to the Viega brochure if you are interested http://www.viega.net/cps/rde/xbcr/en...s_Brochure.pdf
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I have not used PEX so cannot comment there. If your 21' Gulfstream is a Class C, you need to look at the structure under the rear to confirm it can handle the change in weight load. Course, you may have already done that. But weigh after the project to see if your tire pressures need to be adjusted for the difference in weight. Just a thought. Sounds like a fun project.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I have not used PEX so cannot comment there. If your 21' Gulfstream is a Class C, you need to look at the structure under the rear to confirm it can handle the change in weight load. Course, you may have already done that. But weigh after the project to see if your tire pressures need to be adjusted for the difference in weight. Just a thought. Sounds like a fun project.

ronspradley
Excellent advice and most appreciated. Fortunately (I guess) on the original design, the fresh water tank and pump set at the very back of the RV. After removing the matress and much of the framing, there is basically no change in weight. Under carriage framing and flooring is continuous and solid, so all looks good there. So the new plan is the kitchen sink will sit above most the plumbing and water pump (so much for storage under the sink).
We shall see how much fun the project is when I start moving the oven!

Thank you,

Greg
Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #14

Thanks to all for the great response and information!
After review of your comments and additional research, I will be using the clamp system. Mainly due to the tight space I will be working in and the fairly significant amount of plumbing that will be involved (re-position of the fresh water tank and pump, by-pass valving, low point drains, etc.), clamps seem to be the most viable option. Of course if the RV turns into an indoor rain forest, I might re-think this option! In anticipation of such an event, I will have an appropriate selection of Sharkbite/Gatorbite fittings to mitigate DW's DA comments.........

Many thanks to all

Tags
plumbing