Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #211

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedicttw View Post
Wife and I wanted to go from a two story house to singe story. There were many features she had to have. The only one I wanted was a place to store the Pace Arrow inside. Ended up with 1850 sf garage with full hook up, cable tv and internet. We just moved in but the Rv is still in winter storage. Cannot wait to bring her home.
Now your wife allowed you a really nice RV storage, you should go ahead and bring her in out of storage, that's no way to treat a wife! lol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #212

White stuff

That pic was before the last two snow storms. Having hard time wait for spring so we can get the rv out of storage

Old 02-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #213

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I'd be interested in the name or link to that forum. My DW and I'd would like a small SQ FT house with an attached 50ft RV garage. I can find communities with big houses and big garages but not modest houses and RV garages.
The only neighborhood I have seen with reasonable size homes is Lake Weir Living in Florida. Another reader posts a word of caution of fees. I read about one that if the regular fees don't cover expenses you may be subject to additional assessment fees to cover maintenance or alike within the neighborhood. I have also read about many fees not listed in the initial listings. I know I will look at all the fine print as advised by others if we consider moving in the future.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #214

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
Thank you for your post. Can you send me information on what state you are in? I started a forum to build a list of Coach friendly residential communities. Would love to have the best of both worlds with water out back.
Thank you!
Hello! Don't know what I was thinking. As indicated - Texas.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #215

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I'd be interested in the name or link to that forum. My DW and I'd would like a small SQ FT house with an attached 50ft RV garage. I can find communities with big houses and big garages but not modest houses and RV garages.
I have it in General Discussions under Coach Friendly Residential Communities.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #216

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
The only neighborhood I have seen with reasonable size homes is Lake Weir Living in Florida. Another reader posts a word of caution of fees. I read about one that if the regular fees don't cover expenses you may be subject to additional assessment fees to cover maintenance or alike within the neighborhood. I have also read about many fees not listed in the initial listings. I know I will look at all the fine print as advised by others if we consider moving in the future.
Check out a place called "The Gardens" located in Crossville, TN to see if that is what you are looking for. I believe their website is: GardensRVVillage.com
We would have moved there ourselves but husband wanted more grass to mow. Still, it's a great concept if you're looking for a design.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #217

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedicttw View Post
Attachment 56284First time posting picture. Hope this works.
Yes it worked! Thanks for posting and contributing!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #218

Click image for larger version

Name:	House, shop, RV port.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	57132Build it wider and longer than what the coach or trailer will require. This is where you will wash and work on it so you'll need room to move around. My shop has a side I built just for the GMC motorhome I was restoring and using at the time. I built the RV port alongside the shop after acquiring the Beaver. I have several dedicated 50a and 30a outlets in the shop and a total of 3, 30a hookups for RVs. One for my coach, and two for guests. The dump is located between the shop and RV port. It cost very little more to build this to match the house than the quotes I got from the steel bldg. folks.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #219

I am considering modifying an existing 24x30 freestanding shop. I have an intruder 37' gas. It will fit in a 12x12 door but am considering using a 14x14 door, since I may get a different MH at some point. I will raise a portion of the roof and extend the end of the shop to approx. 50'

Any advise re the door size? Phil
Old 03-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #220

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
I am considering modifying an existing 24x30 freestanding shop. I have an intruder 37' gas. It will fit in a 12x12 door but am considering using a 14x14 door, since I may get a different MH at some point. I will raise a portion of the roof and extend the end of the shop to approx. 50'

Any advise re the door size? Phil
I have a 14x20 and the 14 still makes be worry when pulling through. When open its not a full 14, might check the 12 to be sure what the clearance is on the 12. Had a friend that had a 14 and the springs were getting old and would not roll door completely up. He had to have someone push up on door while he pulled through.

My guess going to 14 now will be cheaper that refitting later.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by philand View Post
I am considering modifying an existing 24x30 freestanding shop. I have an intruder 37' gas. It will fit in a 12x12 door but am considering using a 14x14 door, since I may get a different MH at some point. I will raise a portion of the roof and extend the end of the shop to approx. 50' Any advise re the door size? Phil
I have a 12' wide by 13' high door on my garage (32'x66.5'). The actual clearance is about 12'-11.5" high. It was fine for my '03 and '99 coaches, but my 2011 requires that I drop the chassis air when pulling in. I'm only an inch+ short of clearing, but that can make for a bad day if you forget. Coaches have gotten quite a bit taller in recent years. I went from 12'-5" to 13'-1" when trading the 03' for the '11. The width is plenty if you can enter/exit fairly straight. If you need to "turn" into the opening you may want the extra width. I have plenty of room to back out most of the way before beginning to turn. When I installed my doors the difference in cost for 14' wide was quite a bit, and I was trying to allow for a smaller door adjacent, so I went with 12'. I do have ample room to open slides after parking inside.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #222

Country Coach Owners Club
14 x 14 is what I would put in if I built another building. My door now is 20w x 13h. The 20 is way to much for just the coach but not really wide enough to put the coach in and then comfortably put in a car/boat/tractor in next to it. I too went from an old coach to a 2013 and the 13' door works, but boy is it close! Also, my depth is 47' and I put a 43' Newmar in there. It's very tight. A 45' would fit but to get from one side to the other I would have to open the door to get around. And I might have to remove the tow bar to squeeze in at the back. My old 40' was just right as I could get around either end, open the engine hatch, etc. I think 6-7 feet longer than the coach should work OK.
Mckeerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #223

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckeerw View Post
14 x 14 is what I would put in if I built another building. My door now is 20w x 13h. The 20 is way to much for just the coach but not really wide enough to put the coach in and then comfortably put in a car/boat/tractor in next to it. I too went from an old coach to a 2013 and the 13' door works, but boy is it close! Also, my depth is 47' and I put a 43' Newmar in there. It's very tight. A 45' would fit but to get from one side to the other I would have to open the door to get around. And I might have to remove the tow bar to squeeze in at the back. My old 40' was just right as I could get around either end, open the engine hatch, etc. I think 6-7 feet longer than the coach should work OK.
Yes I suggest overbuild, t had to add 6 ft to my building to accommodate my latest fancy. Not that big of a problem but its on a hillside creating some engineering issues.
Nope, that's not the Ark!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	608.8 KB
ID:	58804  
Old 03-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #224

Country Coach Owners Club
Pictures of Shop/MH Garage

Front and side views of shop. Door is 13H x 20W. 1600 SF.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	263
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	58818  
Attached Images

Mckeerw is offline   Reply With Quote