Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #281

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
Priced a Morton yesterday. Because of the cost of a 50x60 I reduced it to a 30x60. With the building cost and the road I need to have installed total is more than I am willing to spend being this close to retiring. Still considering a building but also have other projects that won't get done if I buy the Morton. Very nice building but the cost is just out of my reach for what I want.
Anyone have any other thoughts on open shelters for RVs. Are they worth it or should I bite the bullet and spend the money on a closed building? I may have to get an excavator to do the road and pad for now and put the building in a few years down the road.
One major draw back of a open side shelter is it lets the undesirable element of our society know when your home or gone!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #282

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Anyone have any other thoughts on open shelters for RVs. Are they worth it or should I bite the bullet and spend the money on a closed building? I may have to get an excavator to do the road and pad for now and put the building in a few years down the road.
. I think open shelters work great depending on location/weather/etc. Where I am in East TX the primary protection I need is from weather (hail, sun, etc.) Security is not a big concern. I got a local company to put up an 18x50' cover with sides partially covered (lower on S as that is direction of most bad weather). I could completely cover sides and ends and have a door in the end(s) if I want that later.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #283

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
One major draw back of a open side shelter is it lets the undesirable element of our society know when your home or gone!
That is one of the biggest factors for the enclosed building that I considered important. My wife and I plan on being on the road for extended time periods and I did not want other knowing if we were home or not. Although in a very good area and at the end of a gravel road with neighbors to keep an eye on who comes into the area "snakes" always find a way in without being seen. Also considering a recording security video system before retirement arrives. May not help getting things back but might help finding the critters that want to walk off with things that don't belong to them.

Hate not to build after paying to clearing the trees. The building will sit about where the truck is parked and the road to the garage will run the full length of the clearing and tie into the existing driveway at the post and board fence.

Thank you all for your thoughts on the subject. I will let you know what decision is made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140314_125253.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	714.1 KB
ID:	66215  
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #284

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could you give an idea of what it cost not including the slab. I would like about a 35 x 50 for RV, workshop, and storage. Looking for ballpark figure.

John Abbott, Melbourne FL
2015 Winnebago Tour 43'
RRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #285

Monaco Owners Club
Here's my new RV Barn, 30 x 50 with a 10 x 10 and a 14 x 14 door. Still waiting for the driveway and guest RV pad to be poured, full hookups inside and out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	66246  
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #286

Monaco Owners Club
Here's the inside, still need to organize it to get the MH in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	66247  
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #287

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGuy View Post
Could you give an idea of what it cost not including the slab. I would like about a 35 x 50 for RV, workshop, and storage. Looking for ballpark figure.

John Abbott, Melbourne FL
2015 Winnebago Tour 43'
The Morton 30x60 is running approximately 48-56k for the building with slab. I did not price it without the slab but estimate approximately 17k for the slab. That does not include lighting and the road with pad in front of the garage. Keep in mind that the building includes options such as overhangs of 2 feet on the sides and 1 foot front and rear, 1 copula, walk in door. The options are limitless and it will increase in price quickly. Insulation will throw the price up fast. I am hoping we are in the south for the cold months.
Total expense is close to 80-85k if I am lucky. I have approximately 800 feet of roadway to install as well.
July 1st new regulations went into effect here in Virginia. They require a soil compaction test with a fee of 1500.00 just to see if you can build. Just another expense to add in here. Check your permit fees as well.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #288

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The Morton 30x60 is running approximately 48-56k for the building with slab. I did not price it without the slab but estimate approximately 17k for the slab. That does not include lighting and the road with pad in front of the garage. Keep in mind that the building includes options such as overhangs of 2 feet on the sides and 1 foot front and rear, 1 copula, walk in door. The options are limitless and it will increase in price quickly. Insulation will throw the price up fast. I am hoping we are in the south for the cold months.
Total expense is close to 80-85k if I am lucky. I have approximately 800 feet of roadway to install as well.
July 1st new regulations went into effect here in Virginia. They require a soil compaction test with a fee of 1500.00 just to see if you can build. Just another expense to add in here. Check your permit fees as well.
Hope this helps.
When I did our shed we had to get permits: 1) Development permit, 2) Building permit, 3) Electrical Permit. Did not install gas but that is an option for the future - then need another permit.

Had to get a building design to get the building permit. Had to do a site plan and advertise to get the development permit.

I started early and by the time all of the permits were in place I was 6 weeks behind. Started the site preparation and the monsoons hit.

What should have taken one summer took two. Knowing what I know now would have really helped.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #289

Well the concrete work is done
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #290

Winnebago Owners Club
Our new garage. Door next week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-07-004.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	66900  
Old 07-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #291

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Is the grass in front solid? Here we couldn't drive across it if it has rained, the coach would sink.

Nice garage.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #292

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is our "Toy Box" taken at the wrong time of the year. Our MH is safely inside though.

It is 40x60 with a 14 ft. door and a 10 ft. door.

2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #293

I can finally upload the photo. The concrete work is done and when we return from our current trip the structure should be complete.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1404739905429.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	67103  
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #294

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
I can finally upload the photo. The concrete work is done and when we return from our current trip the structure should be complete.
Congratulations. Looks like you have a great start! Still looking for the $$ to get mine started. Sooner or later!