Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
We are close to signing a contract to have a new home built in a neighborhood that allows for a home with attached rv garage..
We were thinking of a slight downsizing anyway and have been looking properties with space to build a barn. I sometimes think this is an unwise move from a resale perspective. Will the attached large garage be a negative. This is in a small town just outside the Indianapolis area.. The home will be very close to this floor plan. What do you guys think. Would you do it if timing and opportunity were right?
Attachment 71674
My only suggestion would be if it is possible to increase the length to at least 50 feet. Although you may not need the space now what if you upgrade to 45 ft tag or the next owner has one. I would think the additional cost would be negligible at build but significant later. Just my $.02 worth. It looks like a gray plan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #324

I'd also suggest increasing the length a bit. I have a 44 foot length building and my 40 foot RV seems tight. The shop has 6 inch walls so the shop inside is 43 - trailer hitch on the rear of the RV eats up another foot plus or minus. So if I don't park it exactly in the middle I hit my knees walking around one end or the other. Not a major issue but I wish I had gone a bit longer for that RV. Incidentilly I had a 27 foot motorhome when I built the 44 foot building and that was plenty large at that point in time.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #325

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
My only suggestion would be if it is possible to increase the length to at least 50 feet. Although you may not need the space now what if you upgrade to 45 ft tag or the next owner has one. I would think the additional cost would be negligible at build but significant later. Just my $.02 worth. It looks like a gray plan.
I must agree that the length should be large enough to handle the larger coaches. I have considered the same thought and have contracted my building to be 52 foot in length. This will allow even a 45 footer to be stored.

Separate vs attached? I do not feel it will make much difference when it comes to resale. The extra space as indicated will prove to be valuable space regardless if it is a separate building or attached. JMHO
Old 08-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #326

If room and budget permitted, I'd go a little larger on the RV section as well. Many of us have an RV and 2 cars, so what about a second toy? Could be a classic car, a tractor, trailered boat, whatever, plus room to work on it? Or just room to set up a nice shop?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #327

Winnebago Owners Club
Built a 36x72. It is already too small. You can never build a shed too big.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #328

Tiffin Owners Club
When I was building the difference between a 44 foot and a 48 foot building was only $450.00. That was for the labor and materials it did not include the concrete. So for $450 more it was a no brainer.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #329
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Appreciate the responses. Although there is no doubt in my mind I will never need a bigger garage, I may consider making it longer. Probably not though.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #330

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Attachment 70783

Finally got moved in to my garage. Didn't think about the garage doors being mounted on the inside making the fit kind of tight.
Curious...What size is your door. I contracted two 14x14 foot doors on the front of my building. My coach is currently 12'10".

Thanks! Safe travels.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #331

AFChap: You might go to a local masonry supply shop and ask about cure and seal products for concrete. One manufacturer has a full line of products and you can contact them; they are most helpful: WRMEADOWS.COM.

Good luck,

Butch and Peggy
Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #332

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
Curious...What size is your door. I contracted two 14x14 foot doors on the front of my building. My coach is currently 12'10".

Thanks! Safe travels.

My coach comes in around 12' 8 to the top of the AC units, and the door is a bit over 13', which is not high enough. 14' would be much better.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #333

My doors are 14 high by 12 wide
Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
My doors are 14 high by 12 wide
Mine is 14' high 12' wide as well. I was able to salvage the 12'w x 10'h door that was there when I modified the MH bay and used 2 sections from the bay with the windows. Had to install new track for the increased height and weight, but saved around $1,500 over a new door. Works good for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 011.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	71933  
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:06 AM   #335

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
My coach comes in around 12' 8 to the top of the AC units, and the door is a bit over 13', which is not high enough. 14' would be much better.
Thank you for the reply. Wasn't sure what to expect on the door size. Have a good day!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:08 AM   #336

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Mine is 14' high 12' wide as well. I was able to salvage the 12'w x 10'h door that was there when I modified the MH bay and used 2 sections from the bay with the windows. Had to install new track for the increased height and weight, but saved around $1,500 over a new door. Works good for me.
Excellent use of available resources! Good job. Thank you for your input on door size. Safe travels!