Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #351

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
Here is our upcoming project. Plan on starting in the next few weeks. "Safe Room" is for Hurricanes. We live 3 miles from the coast. RV section of garage is 18'x42'. Ceiling is 15'6". Garage doors are 12' wide and 14' high.

Safe room? Good thinking. Safe rooms should be standard. They might save your life someday. Glad to see you are thinking ahead. Be sure it stays available if needed.
Good width but the length will be tight if you upgrade to a longer coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #352

Be sure that 15'6" wall height gives you enough head space for your doors and hardware. We had an issue with 14' doors and 16'wall height. Good luck
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:32 AM   #353

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Be sure that 15'6" wall height gives you enough head space for your doors and hardware. We had an issue with 14' doors and 16'wall height. Good luck
I have contracted 16' walls with two 14x14 doors. Hope they work out. My coach is 12'10". How much room did you have left over for clearance? I was assured the height would be sufficient to clear the coach. I will let you know as the build continues.
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #354

My doors leave a 14 nominal opening so I have about 12 inches of clearance for my 13' coach.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:15 AM   #355

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
My doors leave a 14 nominal opening so I have about 12 inches of clearance for my 13' coach.
Thanks. Guess the 14x14 will be big enough. Safe Travels.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:42 AM   #356

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
A few pictures from the recent grading for the RV garage. Work has resumed!
Updated picture of the pad and road work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_102405.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	602.0 KB
ID:	74585   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_102506.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	74586  

Old 09-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #357

GeneSimmons - how do you like your swinging doors? I'm in the design stages for a 18'wx40'd building for our current travel trailer, but trying to "future-proof" the building for 5er or MH down the road. Thus, looking for 14'-ish clearance at the entrance. To get that with a standard overhead door, I'm looking at 16' side walls which adds a lot to the cost of the metal prefab building I am looking at. Doing with swinging doors like this, I assume I could get by with 14' side walls (maybe even 13') and still have enough clearance for almost any MH out there (would have well over 13'6" in the middle where the tall stuff is).
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Purduepete

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
here it is with them open,and a picture of the backup rig's port

purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #358

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
GeneSimmons - how do you like your swinging doors? I'm in the design stages for a 18'wx40'd building for our current travel trailer, but trying to "future-proof" the building for 5er or MH down the road. Thus, looking for 14'-ish clearance at the entrance. To get that with a standard overhead door, I'm looking at 16' side walls which adds a lot to the cost of the metal prefab building I am looking at. Doing with swinging doors like this, I assume I could get by with 14' side walls (maybe even 13') and still have enough clearance for almost any MH out there (would have well over 13'6" in the middle where the tall stuff is).
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Purduepete
Considering what you may want to get in the future is a big plus. I went with 52 deep to allow for if I was to win a lottery (not happening....have to play to win!)

The swinging doors are an interesting option on the pictured storage. Have to admit I have never seen that type of door on that build. Not knowing anything about it I would say having the doors with a 3 sided build is a positive move. If you have leaves blowing it will keep them out.

My opinion is any garage with doors is better than no garage if you can swing it! (pun intended). Good luck with your decision! Keep us informed with pictures.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #359

I have a similarly built carport, and my only thought regarding the swinging doors is that they appear to be a lot of weight hanging on a simple structure like this one? I see the wind braces, but wonder if they are adequate bracing for these doors? At minimum, I would request that the end frame the doors are attached to be doubled up....
Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #360

Work is underway on our structure. Went with All Steel Carports, a regional company that makes their own buildings. headquarters is about 60 min from my house, in Muncie IN.
Picture is of the ground prep work. This will be an 18w x 40l x 12h structure, running along the side of the existing 30x40 building. Fronts of the structures will sit flush and new bldg will extend 10 ft further in the rear. Back and sides will be completely enclosed. Gravel floor and approach (at least for now). Front doors will be dual out swinging, similar to pics earlier in this thread. I hope to attach them to a conventional garage door opener or to use gate openers. Since they are swinging, I get the full 12 ft of clearance over the full 18 ft of building width, plus I will be at full 13'6" clearance for the middle 6 ft of the structure. Should allow for a pretty good sized unit before we outgrow it again!
More pics to come. Expect building to be installed late this month.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1415292396600.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	78336  
Old 11-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #361

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Work is underway on our structure. Went with All Steel Carports, a regional company that makes their own buildings. headquarters is about 60 min from my house, in Muncie IN.
Picture is of the ground prep work. This will be an 18w x 40l x 12h structure, running along the side of the existing 30x40 building. Fronts of the structures will sit flush and new bldg will extend 10 ft further in the rear. Back and sides will be completely enclosed. Gravel floor and approach (at least for now). Front doors will be dual out swinging, similar to pics earlier in this thread. I hope to attach them to a conventional garage door opener or to use gate openers. Since they are swinging, I get the full 12 ft of clearance over the full 18 ft of building width, plus I will be at full 13'6" clearance for the middle 6 ft of the structure. Should allow for a pretty good sized unit before we outgrow it again!
Brian
Always nice to see the dirt turned and gravel arriving! Congratulations on your build. Keep us informed of your progress.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #362

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Brian
Brian, I assume your building will be sitting on piers since you are not pouring a slab at this time? This is the way I built mine. You may want to consider elevating your piers to accommodate your future plans for concrete. Also, 12' may fit your current RV, but it is not much with todays MH's and 5th wheels. It would cost very little to increase it to 14 now, but would be near impossible later. Anyway, good luck with your project and I hope you enjoy building it as much as I did mine. Here are the piers that mine sits on. You can see where I elevated them 6" above the gravel surface to accommodate future concrete paving. They extend 5' into the ground and into the bedrock. The plywood templates hold the anchor bolts in position to match the base plates on the support beams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0380.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	78396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0386.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	78397  

Name:	IMAG0387.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	78398  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #363

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We built ours 44 long by 18 wide by 16 foot tall, our motorhome is 12 ft. Leaves hubby room to get on top inside if need be, good way to service AC's inside. He wanted to only build 40 long, I added 4 foot, good thing we did. This accommodates the hitch and allows us to hang ladders on the end and walk around it, plus we have shelving all down one side. This is the measurements AFTER the concrete floor was put in. Ours is older, a 92 Eagle, but if we got a newer one there is room for the slides to be put out also.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #364

Scottybdivin - it is going straight onto gravel, secured with 17 3' long spiral anchors. Cost to increase to 14' is significant for this type of structure - about 25% increase. We are 2 or 3 upgrades from something that wouldn't fit in this building. I will be able to get a pretty good sized 5th wheel in there - non-toy hauler, and a good selection of A's or C's if we go that route.
Patstab - I did consider an extra 4-8' of length, but it would have required a zoning variance into a watershed area. I was told that would most likely not be approved, so I didn't pursue further.
Now just waiting on install date from All Steel. Hoping it is late Nov at the latest.
Brian