Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 AM   #393

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice!

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I have a question...related to my future planning. For those with insulated garages living in sub-zero climates during the winter, how difficult is it to keep the garage heated to above freezing so that you don't have to winterize (since we would foresee taking several shorter trips each winter down to warmer areas, I would love to avoid having to winterize between each trip).

Thanks!

Steve
Steve,
You didn't mention whether yours will be attached to your home or not. I agree with previous poster re staying above freezing if attached. If your building will be totally detached, it'll take significantly more effort (aka money) to keep it above freezing. That money may be in additional insulation, additional heating expense, or both. Probably obvious, but thought it was worth mentioning as I've had experience with both and was amazed how much easier it was to keep the attached structure above freezing.
Purduepete

Old 12-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #395

Quote:
I have a question...related to my future planning. For those with insulated garages living in sub-zero climates during the winter, how difficult is it to keep the garage heated to above freezing so that you don't have to winterize (since we would foresee taking several shorter trips each winter down to warmer areas, I would love to avoid having to winterize between each trip).

Thanks!

Steve

Steve
My building is detached and it's less than 80 bucks a month to heat
The building is 50x100 before the sidewalk metal was installed we used house wrap we have 6" bat insulation in the walls and 18" of cellulose in the ceiling.
The key is insulation insulation and insulation Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1419253444.638161.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	81606
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #396

Steve, after winterizing your coach a few times on your own, most can be set up where you can safely winterize with a gallon of anti freeze in 15 minutes. The only things that might slow you down are washer dryers and ice makers - which could be easily disconnected for a season.

Point being, you'd have to come up with a darn cheap way of heating to make it even reasonably economical compared to the time and effort required to winterize...
Old 12-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #397

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-JUNELL View Post
Steve
The building is 50x100 before the sidewalk metal was installed we used house wrap we have 6" bat insulation in the walls and 18" of cellulose in the ceiling.
The key is insulation insulation and insulation Attachment 81606
Steve, that is one gorgeous building! It is not only "big" it look wonderful! Great job....
Old 12-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #398

Insulation

Quote:
Steve
I work for a home builder specializing in energy efficient homes. The insulation is important but you also need to seal the building. Spend several hundred on good caulk and seal all joints in the structure. Also for the wall insulation to be effective you need to have a sealed interior finish such as drywall or las sealed between the joints. Also foam around all windows and doors.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #399

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks!

Steve
Not hard to keep it above freezing. But even easier to just add a few 100 watt light bulbs in key areas and that will help keep pipes from freezing even if barn itself dips below 32.

My latest RV has basement heat so I just keep all thermostats on the minimum setting (40). Costs a little extra in propane but I don't like winterizing, especially with W/D and ice maker involved.. But my last RV I would throw a little antifreeze in all the P traps and keep a 100 watt bulb in the wet bay.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #400

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know, is it safe to run your propane heat inside a garage? Doesn't seem like it would be.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #401

Thanks everyone for the information. This is forward planning for me... the intention is to be in Tetons in Wyoming, so sometimes it could get a bit chilly. After our most recent experience with RV anti-freeze and getting the taste out of the tanks, etc., my wife says she doesn't want to go that path again. Can't say I blame her...

Steve
Old 12-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #402

You've discovered why anti freeze should NEVER be put in a fresh water tank the hard way. It's a waste for starters, and the left over taste makes doing that out of the question.

That's the reason there should be a selector valve on the intake side of the pump. Flipped one way, the pump pulls water from the fresh water tank. Flipped the other way, it pulls from a 6'section of hose with it's end stuck in a gallon of anti freeze.

You drain the fresh water tank the best you can and don't worry about it. Anti freeze not necessary.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:05 AM   #403

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hate when I cannot see the pictures posted by others.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:08 AM   #404

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Steve
Curious? What type of heating did you install and what is your recommendation for size units? I am going to heat with propane which was recommended rather than electric shop heaters. Hoping I am doing the right thing. Not looking to keep mine very warm, just enough to keep it above the freezing mark during the winter.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:01 AM   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
Curious? What type of heating did you install and what is your recommendation for size units? I am going to heat with propane which was recommended rather than electric shop heaters. Hoping I am doing the right thing. Not looking to keep mine very warm, just enough to keep it above the freezing mark during the winter.

Originally only half the building was insulated and heated I have a natural gas 150,000 Btu forced air reznor shop furnace. last fall we insulated and lined the remainder of the building and I thought I was going to have to upgrade to a bigger furnace but this one is doing just fine I keep it at 65 all the time
Old 12-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #406

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally only half the building was insulated and heated I have a natural gas 150,000 Btu forced air reznor shop furnace. last fall we insulated and lined the remainder of the building and I thought I was going to have to upgrade to a bigger furnace but this one is doing just fine I keep it at 65 all the time
Thanks. Looks like I will be installing gas as well. Your information is very helpful.