Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #407
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 254
We are only in the planning stages now, but considering a 20x80 so that we can pull the Motorhome in while hooked to the race car trailer. For budget reasons, we will most likely be parking on gravel in an unfinished building for a year but would like to finish within a year or so of building. We currently have a 30x40 brick garage for the race car and maintenance, along with a 2 car attached and 2 car basement for the daily drivers. Have went through this entire thread and got allot of ideas.

Still undecided on the size, but either way it will have room for the coach and trailer. Will either be able to pull in while hooked up or will have to back trailer in and unhook and then back coach in.

Ours will most likely be a DIY job, but when we get started (hopefully Spring), I will include some pictures.

Thanks to everyone for all the posts.
__________________

__________________
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #408
Senior Member
 
RTinVa's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 309
A few progress pictures

Slowly making progress. Doors are hung, openers installed, decided to go with 2 electric heaters for simplicity until I get gas heaters. No point in heating this year since all are winterized. Have to get the slab in the Spring. It has been a long road but it should be done soon. Still need the fine grading which also may be Spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141220_090728.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	538.6 KB
ID:	83417   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150107_165529.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	83418  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Morton Building 762.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	83419   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150116_132312.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	83420  

__________________

__________________
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #409
Community Administrator
 
JohnRR's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marquette, Michigan "Da UP"
Posts: 15,887
It's looking better all the time.
__________________
Cathy & John R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #410
Senior Member
 
srrobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
It's looking better all the time.
I really like the two tone. nice choice!
__________________
Rich & Susan Roberts 2015 Duch Star 4369..
-Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure!
Withoutanyhesitation.com
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #411
Senior Member
 
ladagobago's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Posts: 953
Blog Entries: 10
I am planning a garage for our florida home but would like to have a separate thread for Florida since everything is different for Codes.
__________________
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #412
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,541
Regarding Fl. "garages" what I found in my research prior to building ours was that a lot of them, maybe most, are done by any one of dozens of companies (even used car lots) that are selling/reselling for Carolina Carports. Any size you like and they're supplied with engineering drawings that meet or exceed "wind" resistance requirements for local zoning and insurance regulations. VERY reasonably priced.

My biggest surprise was what concrete goes for down here. Seemed much more expensive than what I was used to in Mi.

Make sure your dealer is prepared/willing to pull the building permits. Some do this as part of the deal, some charge extra. Do not let them talk you into "owner" installation, as this will eliminate any potential for liability issues regarding the guys that actually do erect the structure.

Carolina very easy to deal with and able/willing to build it "your" way. Just ask. I was very pleasantly surprised.

http://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #413
Senior Member
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 289
We just finished a 30x45 building with a 13'6" tall door. The motorhome hasn't been in it yet, but it is setup with full hookups. We'll spend 6 to 8 weeks living in the RV inside the shop while our house is being finished. After that the RV will function as our second guest suite.

The pic was taken before the floor was poured. I would have been almost knee deep in concrete. I've visited the shop about 6 times now (we're moving 300 miles east for our retirement) and have finally stopped giggling when I round the bend in our driveway and can see the building.

The contractor went extra thick on the slab on the side we'll park the RV on and put plenty of rebar in where the jacks will hit.

__________________
'04 National TropiCal T350
Behind the coach:
'84 Royale RP-37 Sports 2000 or ~285 hp turbo Miata
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #414
Senior Member
 
Scottybdivin's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spicewood Texas (West of Austin)
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
We just finished a 30x45 building with a 13'6" tall door. The motorhome hasn't been in it yet, but it is setup with full hookups. We'll spend 6 to 8 weeks living in the RV inside the shop while our house is being finished. After that the RV will function as our second guest suite.

The pic was taken before the floor was poured. I would have been almost knee deep in concrete. I've visited the shop about 6 times now (we're moving 300 miles east for our retirement) and have finally stopped giggling when I round the bend in our driveway and can see the building.

The contractor went extra thick on the slab on the side we'll park the RV on and put plenty of rebar in where the jacks will hit.

Congratulations, it looks like a very sturdy building.. I assume the 13' 6" is from the finished floor elevation?
__________________
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #415
Senior Member
 
Timon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 903
Looks like you had that built using SIPs. How did the build cost compair with stick built or a metal building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
I've been following this thread with a lot of interest, and now I finally have something to contribute. We started construction on a new home in the summer, and now we have started on the rv garage. The mh area is 50 ft long and 20 ft wide, the door is 14 ft high and 12 ft wide. It has a regular garage and shop space under the same roof, and an attached gym room.






__________________
John (N6BER), Joyce, Lucas (Golden Retriever mix), Bella (Great Pyrenees) and Lance (Great Pyrenees).
Tustin, CA
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #416
Senior Member
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 289
Yes, the 13'6" number is the finished open door height. I'll need to install a power antenna to get through the door, but I won't have to drop the suspension. We'll have about 17'6" inside away from the door.
__________________
'04 National TropiCal T350
Behind the coach:
'84 Royale RP-37 Sports 2000 or ~285 hp turbo Miata
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:48 AM   #417
Senior Member
 
RTinVa's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
It's looking better all the time.
Thank you. Just finished the electric. Inspection today. Now if I could only get the mud out and fresh compacted gravel in (hard building in winter). Calling for a little snow today. Anxious to get the coach inside! That will have to hold me until I can get the slab poured. Anyone know about hydro radiant floor heat? I hear it is very effective. Looking to consider it as a primary heat source (although I hope to be south during the cold months beginning next year). I installed 2 electric heaters (+52k btu) as back up.
__________________
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #418
Senior Member
 
ladagobago's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Posts: 953
Blog Entries: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Regarding Fl. "garages" what I found in my research prior to building ours was that a lot of them, maybe most, are done by any one of dozens of companies (even used car lots) that are selling/reselling for Carolina Carports. Any size you like and they're supplied with engineering drawings that meet or exceed "wind" resistance requirements for local zoning and insurance regulations. VERY reasonably priced.

My biggest surprise was what concrete goes for down here. Seemed much more expensive than what I was used to in Mi.

Make sure your dealer is prepared/willing to pull the building permits. Some do this as part of the deal, some charge extra. Do not let them talk you into "owner" installation, as this will eliminate any potential for liability issues regarding the guys that actually do erect the structure.

Carolina very easy to deal with and able/willing to build it "your" way. Just ask. I was very pleasantly surprised.

/
Thanks for the info. I looked at the site and it is very helpful. there are very specific requirements for florida built structures so I have started another thread specific for FLORIDA. Wind loads, insects and humidity are just a few of the considerations far different from northern building requirements.

So if anyone on this thread is interested in Hurricane proof buildings please go to the other thread and post your info.
Florida Garage idea and pictures
__________________
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #419
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
Thank you. Just finished the electric. Inspection today. Now if I could only get the mud out and fresh compacted gravel in (hard building in winter). Calling for a little snow today. Anxious to get the coach inside! That will have to hold me until I can get the slab poured. Anyone know about hydro radiant floor heat? I hear it is very effective. Looking to consider it as a primary heat source (although I hope to be south during the cold months beginning next year). I installed 2 electric heaters (+52k btu) as back up.
Couple guys I talked to said they would not do infloor heating again. Said it was nice but ended up with a frost problem on the walls. I do not understand how that happens.

If I pour concrete in our shed I will put the plumbing in. Whether I decide to use it or not or future owners decide, it will be there.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #420
Senior Member
 
vapor3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Couple guys I talked to said they would not do infloor heating again. Said it was nice but ended up with a frost problem on the walls. I do not understand how that happens.

If I pour concrete in our shed I will put the plumbing in. Whether I decide to use it or not or future owners decide, it will be there.
Frost on the wall is due to lack of air circulation. Put 3 or 4 ceiling fans up high and leave the running. Frost problems go away.
__________________

__________________
Rick and Lynda Smith
2004 NEWMAR DSDP M-4011-SPTN 8.9 Liter Cummins
2011 GMC SLT 1500 4WD CREW toad
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test pictures Petro Test Your Changes 6 06-22-2014 01:21 PM
Mini Air-Force ONE install pictures deSanford Monaco Owner's Forum 1 06-18-2014 04:14 PM
Pictures of 2015 Anthem paint colors RJourney Entegra Owner's Forum 8 05-31-2014 11:47 AM
Remodeling Update (Pictures) SyrenSkywolf Travel Trailer Discussion 16 04-24-2014 09:59 PM
Did you happen to take pictures of your Blue Ox rear track bar? vapor3000 Class A Motorhome Discussions 5 04-09-2014 04:30 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.