Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #407

We are only in the planning stages now, but considering a 20x80 so that we can pull the Motorhome in while hooked to the race car trailer. For budget reasons, we will most likely be parking on gravel in an unfinished building for a year but would like to finish within a year or so of building. We currently have a 30x40 brick garage for the race car and maintenance, along with a 2 car attached and 2 car basement for the daily drivers. Have went through this entire thread and got allot of ideas.

Still undecided on the size, but either way it will have room for the coach and trailer. Will either be able to pull in while hooked up or will have to back trailer in and unhook and then back coach in.

Ours will most likely be a DIY job, but when we get started (hopefully Spring), I will include some pictures.

Thanks to everyone for all the posts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #408

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A few progress pictures

Slowly making progress. Doors are hung, openers installed, decided to go with 2 electric heaters for simplicity until I get gas heaters. No point in heating this year since all are winterized. Have to get the slab in the Spring. It has been a long road but it should be done soon. Still need the fine grading which also may be Spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141220_090728.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	538.6 KB
ID:	83417   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150107_165529.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	83418  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Morton Building 762.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	83419   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150116_132312.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	83420  

Old 01-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #409
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's looking better all the time.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I really like the two tone. nice choice!
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #411

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I am planning a garage for our florida home but would like to have a separate thread for Florida since everything is different for Codes.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #412

Regarding Fl. "garages" what I found in my research prior to building ours was that a lot of them, maybe most, are done by any one of dozens of companies (even used car lots) that are selling/reselling for Carolina Carports. Any size you like and they're supplied with engineering drawings that meet or exceed "wind" resistance requirements for local zoning and insurance regulations. VERY reasonably priced.

My biggest surprise was what concrete goes for down here. Seemed much more expensive than what I was used to in Mi.

Make sure your dealer is prepared/willing to pull the building permits. Some do this as part of the deal, some charge extra. Do not let them talk you into "owner" installation, as this will eliminate any potential for liability issues regarding the guys that actually do erect the structure.

Carolina very easy to deal with and able/willing to build it "your" way. Just ask. I was very pleasantly surprised.

http://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/
Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #413

Freightliner Owners Club
We just finished a 30x45 building with a 13'6" tall door. The motorhome hasn't been in it yet, but it is setup with full hookups. We'll spend 6 to 8 weeks living in the RV inside the shop while our house is being finished. After that the RV will function as our second guest suite.

The pic was taken before the floor was poured. I would have been almost knee deep in concrete. I've visited the shop about 6 times now (we're moving 300 miles east for our retirement) and have finally stopped giggling when I round the bend in our driveway and can see the building.

The contractor went extra thick on the slab on the side we'll park the RV on and put plenty of rebar in where the jacks will hit.

mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #414

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
We just finished a 30x45 building with a 13'6" tall door. The motorhome hasn't been in it yet, but it is setup with full hookups. We'll spend 6 to 8 weeks living in the RV inside the shop while our house is being finished. After that the RV will function as our second guest suite.

The pic was taken before the floor was poured. I would have been almost knee deep in concrete. I've visited the shop about 6 times now (we're moving 300 miles east for our retirement) and have finally stopped giggling when I round the bend in our driveway and can see the building.

The contractor went extra thick on the slab on the side we'll park the RV on and put plenty of rebar in where the jacks will hit.

Congratulations, it looks like a very sturdy building.. I assume the 13' 6" is from the finished floor elevation?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #415

Looks like you had that built using SIPs. How did the build cost compair with stick built or a metal building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
I've been following this thread with a lot of interest, and now I finally have something to contribute. We started construction on a new home in the summer, and now we have started on the rv garage. The mh area is 50 ft long and 20 ft wide, the door is 14 ft high and 12 ft wide. It has a regular garage and shop space under the same roof, and an attached gym room.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #416

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the 13'6" number is the finished open door height. I'll need to install a power antenna to get through the door, but I won't have to drop the suspension. We'll have about 17'6" inside away from the door.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:48 AM   #417

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Thank you. Just finished the electric. Inspection today. Now if I could only get the mud out and fresh compacted gravel in (hard building in winter). Calling for a little snow today. Anxious to get the coach inside! That will have to hold me until I can get the slab poured. Anyone know about hydro radiant floor heat? I hear it is very effective. Looking to consider it as a primary heat source (although I hope to be south during the cold months beginning next year). I installed 2 electric heaters (+52k btu) as back up.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #418

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Regarding Fl. "garages" what I found in my research prior to building ours was that a lot of them, maybe most, are done by any one of dozens of companies (even used car lots) that are selling/reselling for Carolina Carports. Any size you like and they're supplied with engineering drawings that meet or exceed "wind" resistance requirements for local zoning and insurance regulations. VERY reasonably priced.

My biggest surprise was what concrete goes for down here. Seemed much more expensive than what I was used to in Mi.

Make sure your dealer is prepared/willing to pull the building permits. Some do this as part of the deal, some charge extra. Do not let them talk you into "owner" installation, as this will eliminate any potential for liability issues regarding the guys that actually do erect the structure.

Carolina very easy to deal with and able/willing to build it "your" way. Just ask. I was very pleasantly surprised.

/
Thanks for the info. I looked at the site and it is very helpful. there are very specific requirements for florida built structures so I have started another thread specific for FLORIDA. Wind loads, insects and humidity are just a few of the considerations far different from northern building requirements.

So if anyone on this thread is interested in Hurricane proof buildings please go to the other thread and post your info.
Florida Garage idea and pictures
Old 01-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #419

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
Thank you. Just finished the electric. Inspection today. Now if I could only get the mud out and fresh compacted gravel in (hard building in winter). Calling for a little snow today. Anxious to get the coach inside! That will have to hold me until I can get the slab poured. Anyone know about hydro radiant floor heat? I hear it is very effective. Looking to consider it as a primary heat source (although I hope to be south during the cold months beginning next year). I installed 2 electric heaters (+52k btu) as back up.
Couple guys I talked to said they would not do infloor heating again. Said it was nice but ended up with a frost problem on the walls. I do not understand how that happens.

If I pour concrete in our shed I will put the plumbing in. Whether I decide to use it or not or future owners decide, it will be there.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Couple guys I talked to said they would not do infloor heating again. Said it was nice but ended up with a frost problem on the walls. I do not understand how that happens.

If I pour concrete in our shed I will put the plumbing in. Whether I decide to use it or not or future owners decide, it will be there.
Frost on the wall is due to lack of air circulation. Put 3 or 4 ceiling fans up high and leave the running. Frost problems go away.

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote