Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 PM   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Same here. The gravel I chose 3/8" crushed stone gets in tire and shoe treads. It is sharp and hurts the knees. I'll be glad when I finally pour a concrete floor.
Gents,
This is why I mentioned the pouring of the concrete slab, prior to building the building. But, due to the construction techniques of different parts of the U.S. you guys have to do it the way it's best for you. You and your part of the country has its reasons for procedural ways, as do we, in our part.

As the pictures I presented a few pages ago on this thread show, the coach is sitting in it's cave, alongside the house, attached to the two-car garage. When we moved here, approximately 11 months ago, there was additional RV parking, on the outside of the RV garage and, WAS about 11' wide, due to the fact that there was a rock bank next to that parking.

Well, we've since had a 6' split-faced block retaining wall installed that is real close to the property line and now have 16' width of RV parking. But, at the time, I had colored decomposed granite installed as a parking floor for that outside parking.

Well, like you just mentioned, those little gravel pieces/rocks get stuck in tire treads and shoe treads and, get transported into the coach, the house, and any other place. So, we are presently awaiting some bids on 16' x70' of 3000 psi fibermesh concrete to replace that colored decomposed granite. Man, I can't wait.

As for "sealing" the floors in an RV garage, I too thought about the consequences of that because I've been a fabricator/welder/builder etc. all my life and thought I'd screw it up with welding, torch work and all that. Well, they make things to protect your floors if you plan on that kind of destruction. But, in the limited amount of welding, plasma cutting, grinding etc. I've done, the coating on our floors is, to say the least, not even flawed. I had them done by a professional company about two weeks prior to our moving in.

Without a doubt, it's the best thing since sliced cheese. I enjoy that floor so much when I'm out on it. It's so "pristine" sort of. Many folks said I'd peel it up with hot RV or truck tires after being parked. Well, after 11 months and, a zillion times of pulling the coach out and putting it back, especially after driving 500 miles in 100 degree heat and, parking it in its cave, there's no effects on that floor what so ever. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

My only little problem is, based on the style/color choices/looks, it's sometimes darned hard to see a dropped, small nut, screw, washer, etc. I sometimes have to sweep my hand all over the immediate area to scrape up what I've dropped.

Anyway, thought I'd throw all this in there. I sure envy you boys with the extra large space to "Play" (actually called "work") in while the coach and anything else is in there. I have SOME room behind our coach but, not nearly as much as some of you. Nice work, all of you.
Scott

P.S. Below are the pics of the RV garage prior to the application of industrial coating. Then the other two show it after the coating, along with all the junk (due to movin day)that's since been organized and it's now all free and clear to walk around on.

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #464

Very cool, I like the yellow keep out zone

Old 03-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #465

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Very cool, I like the yellow keep out zone
I use a line to help me back in straight and as close to side to allow slid outs to open. Had to repaint after going from my 5er to MH.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #466

The stripes on the floor are permanently there. They're under the clear coats (two clear coats) of Urethane. They will never wear off. The idea came from my 30 years of backing fire trucks into their home. Besides, the way I laid them out for the company that did the floor, it puts the coach, in the EXACT CENTER, side to side, each and every time.

That way, I can open any compartment door, on either side while it's in the barn. I can open a the main slide too but, not both at once.
Scott
Old 03-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #467

Winnebago Owners Club
I have floor envy! Really nice job and well thought out.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #468

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gents,
This is why I mentioned the pouring of the concrete slab, prior to building the building. But, due to the construction techniques of different parts of the U.S. you guys have to do it the way it's best for you. You and your part of the country has its reasons for procedural ways, as do we, in our part.
Actually, in my part of the country, a concrete slab is always poured before the building. However, in my situation, it will not be a concrete slab. It is merely a concrete paved driveway under a pole barn.

BTW, very nice concrete and striping. You firemen always got have everything perfect.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #469

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

My only little problem is, based on the style/color choices/looks, it's sometimes darned hard to see a dropped, small nut, screw, washer, etc. I sometimes have to sweep my hand all over the immediate area to scrape up what I've dropped.
I just get my eyes down to the floor level and look across the floor. I spot things much faster than feeling around blind. They stand right out. Things never just hit the floor and stay, they bounce and roll much further than you think.

Cant wait to build the new shop out at the ranch.
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #470

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
I just get my eyes down to the floor level and look across the floor. I spot things much faster than feeling around blind. They stand right out. Things never just hit the floor and stay, they bounce and roll much further than you think.

Cant wait to build the new shop out at the ranch.

Another trick is to turn off the lights and lay a flashlight on the floor and move/roll it around. A small object will throw a long shadow making it easy to find.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #471
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I just have my wife or grandkids look for whatever I might have dropped. Gives them something to do.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #472

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I just have my wife or grandkids look for whatever I might have dropped. Gives them something to do.
Nice bonding technique with the grandkids. I bet they are thrilled when they can find something that helps Grandpa.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #473

Yep,
I've done all those methods of finding lost or dropped items with the exception of the use of grand kids, don't have any of those just yet. But, I do, on occasion, have to call the CEO out to help find something. As normal, she usually goes right to it, "is this what you're looking for?"

I had a phenomenal amount of choices for the patterns and colors of that floor. Blues, Browns, Grays, Rust colors, small specs, larger specs, NO SPECS, mixed white/black/gray was the one you see, in small specs/flakes.

So far, it's held up like steel. I've dropped some fairly heavy items on it and saw exactly where they've hit and, "0" damage. I cannot say enough good things about this stuff.
Scott
Old 03-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #474

Just getting started, hopefully this rain stops and I can get concrete poured tomorrow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427401654.838025.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	89666
Old 05-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #475

Slab is poured.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430488027.970382.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	93056

Going up with the red iron.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430488083.816239.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	93057
Old 05-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #476
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking good, I'm sure time has slowed down in your area while it's being built.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote