Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinv View Post
This looks like a great layout. Do you have more views? Where did you find it?
Our new home here in Lake Havasu City AZ is almost identical to that layout only, the RV garage is on the opposite side which, I really preferred due to the fact that, I always back the coach in and, when doing it in that fashion, the door to the coach is presented to the other garage which, is great for loading, unloading, maintenance in the coach and more. When looking for a new home here, it was almost mandatory that the RV garage be on the right side, as you're looking at it from the street, for those reasons mentioned.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #492

We keep our coach in a carport, 48 x 16. But it can also fit in my shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150511_190353_resized.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	94743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4756.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	916.7 KB
ID:	94744  

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #493

Newmar Owners Club
Nice shop. Hobby or business? Inside photos?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #494

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Our new home here in Lake Havasu City AZ is almost identical to that layout only, the RV garage is on the opposite side which, I really preferred due to the fact that, I always back the coach in and, when doing it in that fashion, the door to the coach is presented to the other garage which, is great for loading, unloading, maintenance in the coach and more. When looking for a new home here, it was almost mandatory that the RV garage be on the right side, as you're looking at it from the street, for those reasons mentioned.
Scott
Awesome! I am glad I kept following this thread and gleaned this jewel of information. Some things are so obvious but they are missed. But, you are correct, in the existing configuration you would be walking around the RV all the time, because I too back the coach in. That is a great comment. Thank you!

Greg
Old 05-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmelton View Post
Awesome! I am glad I kept following this thread and gleaned this jewel of information. Some things are so obvious but they are missed. But, you are correct, in the existing configuration you would be walking around the RV all the time, because I too back the coach in. That is a great comment. Thank you!

Greg

I have a concrete pad past my driveway. I back in to let the overhang stick out over the non-concrete area. That's the way we have to do it to have access to the garage. I am planning to pour more concrete to be able to back the motorhome all the way past the steps to our deck. This tidbit made me realize I should pour a larger pad to be able to pull in frontwards. The front wheels will need concrete further back of course, no overhang benefit.

This will put the MH door on the side of our house and deck. A little more concrete will save a lot of footsteps and add an element of security once the door faces the house.

Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious. The only thing I will lose is the quick electrical hookup, but I may as well run some wire in conduit to the opposite side before pouring.

Hmmm, the price keeps going up?
Old 05-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #496

Monaco Owners Club
Gmelton

I second what Gordon Dewald said about the 16' width. We are looking at 20' just for that reason. I think 18' will be ok but 16' will be very narrow to extend slides and still get around to work on it. JMHO

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #497

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott,
For some reason I am able to see the pictures now. Thank you for the pictures. The floor looks fantastic. I understand what you are saying when you drop something but to me I would not worry about that unless you do a great deal of mechanical work over the floor.
Thank you for posting. I will try to do the same when I have the floor poured.
Safe Travels!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmelton View Post

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj23andout View Post

I have a concrete pad past my driveway. I back in to let the overhang stick out over the non-concrete area. That's the way we have to do it to have access to the garage. I am planning to pour more concrete to be able to back the motorhome all the way past the steps to our deck. This tidbit made me realize I should pour a larger pad to be able to pull in frontwards. The front wheels will need concrete further back of course, no overhang benefit.

This will put the MH door on the side of our house and deck. A little more concrete will save a lot of footsteps and add an element of security once the door faces the house.

Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious. The only thing I will lose is the quick electrical hookup, but I may as well run some wire in conduit to the opposite side before pouring.

Hmmm, the price keeps going up?
Glad I helped with some thought process here. Having the RV door where it is, just makes things way easier. I do my own work, in and out of the coach and, on a fairly often basis. So, if that door was up against a wall or, in any other position, it would simply be too much of a pain in the butt to load and, un-load, work on, go looking for something etc.

When we were looking for homes here in Lake Havasu City, we had many potential lots and completed homes with either a potential for a M/H garage or, already had one but, a very large percentage of them, if they didn't have an RV garage, would have to have it built on the left side or, if it had one, it was on the left side. So, both of us, knowing how much we'd be in an out of that coach for various reasons, while it was parked in its cave, KNEW that we needed for the RV garage to be on the right side of the house, based on the fact that we ALWAYS back it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
Scott,
For some reason I am able to see the pictures now. Thank you for the pictures. The floor looks fantastic. I understand what you are saying when you drop something but to me I would not worry about that unless you do a great deal of mechanical work over the floor.
Thank you for posting. I will try to do the same when I have the floor poured.
Safe Travels!
RTinVa,
Well Sir, I do, do a lot of work while on that floor. I'm a "tinkerer" and a DIY type person. I do all my own maintenance etc. on all my vehicles/motorhome/truck and motorcycle. I had probably, around 100-150 choices of colors and combination of chips and base coats. I chose that combo 'cause it blended good. When you work on things, especially with small nuts/bolts/screws/washers etc., you're bound to drop something on a regular basis.

Most of the time I follow what I drop, right to the ground and watch it roll around to where it finally stops. But, if I don't see it drop, sometimes it can be frustrating to locate a thin, small washer etc. No biggie. In the picture below you'll see my little "tinkering" area, behind where the motor home sits. It's my mini "MAN CAVE", so to speak. She has to come out and retrieve me for meals.

Even at my age, I mop that floor, usually around once a week. It takes me about 5-6 minutes to empty both garages, motor home, truck, motorcycle, Rampage lift for motorcycle and a couple of other things and, I can mop from wall to wall, end to end, without having to go around a ton of stuff. I like a clean floor to roam around on in socks or bare feet if and when needed.

And, with that coating, I can spill anything I want on it and, it wipes right up with ZERO staining effects. I've even welded and had the sparks hit it and, so far, no detrimental effects what so ever.

That M/H garage and work area, is by far, not nearly as nice as some of them presented on here, without a doubt but, it's the nicest thing I've ever owned or, will own. Also involved in the requested parameters when purchasing our new home was, I wanted a RAMP in front of the RV garage that would be long enough so that, if I wanted to wash the coach or just wanted it out of the RV garage for whatever reason, the ramp (driveway) would have to be long enough to be able to accommodate the full length of the coach, without protruding into the street.

Now, that ramp (we called it that in the Fire Department service) is not very steep but, more than enough to shed water when washing the coach. And, one more item on the mandatory parameters was the need for additional RV or boat parking (If you live in Havasu, you HAVE TO HAVE A BOAT!).

In the last picture, you see our coach, behind the new gates we had built just to see what it looked like in that section of the yard. Also in that section is full hookups for visitors. That section is perfectly flat, level and, 70' x 16', totally enclosed by a block wall and gates.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030111.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	94891   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020501.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	94892  

Name:	P1020503.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	94893   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030615.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	94894  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Glad I helped with some thought process here.

In the last picture, you see our coach, behind the new gates we had built just to see what it looked like in that section of the yard. Also in that section is full hookups for visitors. That section is perfectly flat, level and, 70' x 16', totally enclosed by a block wall and gates.
Scott
I am just thinking I might need to come out there and look at this in person .... ROAD TRIP!

No Really, that is very nice and something similar is what I am hoping for. Not included on my plans is a "Man Cave" also but I am adding that in.

Very Nice.

Greg

PS. I agree on the width of the RV portion. I think my RV garage is currently 18' wide. I will have to mod that.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:16 AM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
We keep our coach in a carport, 48 x 16. But it can also fit in my shop.
Okay, so I just realized I don't have pics of it all done, done. But here goes with what I have. I drew the plans for my building, it is 3 rooms. Right side with the french doors is my motorcycle room. Left side is storage, lawn mower etc. The center is my hobby shop with a 14' door and 16' ceiling. It is stick built, and I did everything except the concrete work, it was too much for me to handle by myself.

We bought 10 acres 5 years ago, bought a small old trackloader, cleared the land, put in 1,300' of road and built the barn (as we call it). Last summer we hired a builder who built the house, we moved in Thanksgiving weekend.

L.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140901_171239_688 (2).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	94918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140901_171304_709 (2).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	94919  

Name:	IMG_20140901_165531_668 (2).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	94920   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150409_180334_resized_2[1].jpg
Views:	149
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	94921  

Old 05-22-2015, 05:30 AM   #501

Our gates

One of my hobby's is welding and fabircating, hence the big shop. I had a blast building our gates to our new place.

The SC state flag is a plamento tree with a cresent moon, hence the design of our gates. When I retire, I would love to make various country estate gates for owners. Horses, coachs, whatever they prefer. Anyway, here is pics of our entrance.

L.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ResizedImage_1380627904244.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	94923  
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2015, 06:17 AM   #502

Monaco Owners Club
Lloyd

That building is great! You have given me some great ideas.I also like your gate. Very inventive and neat.

Dan

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:35 AM   #503

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
One of my hobby's is welding and fabircating, hence the big shop. I had a blast building our gates to our new place.

The SC state flag is a plamento tree with a cresent moon, hence the design of our gates. When I retire, I would love to make various country estate gates for owners. Horses, coachs, whatever they prefer. Anyway, here is pics of our entrance.

L.
Nice silhouette on your entry. I'm not seeing any gate openers. If not there, you will thank yourself. They are like garage door openers. You can't imagine not having one.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #504

Quote:

L.

Beautiful work, Lloyd. You are vrey creative, and talented. What kind of plasma cutter did you use? Are the pieces cut by hand, or do you use a CNC.

Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote