Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #505

A very nice design to say the least.

I agree with another about the width of the RV section, I'd go to at least 18' so you have plenty of room to walk around with the slides open.

With the RV Garage on the left I assume you plan to drive in. If I was building it I think I'd do a reverse plan so one would back in and then the entrance to the RV would be toward the house but that's me.

The only thing missing that we like is a Family room since that's where we watch TV and keep the Living room for family gatherings. But this is such a nice layout that we could live without one.

Do you only have the floor plan or so you have some elevation drawings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmelton View Post
I do currently have an RV garage but that is not what I am going to post today. Today I am going to post what I hope to build in the next six months. Job relocation is causing me to move further south and as normal for those of us with "Toys", I can't find anything that fits my needs. So, we are looking at new construction.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Beautiful work, Lloyd. You are vrey creative, and talented. What kind of plasma cutter did you use? Are the pieces cut by hand, or do you use a CNC.
Thanks very much. I hand cut with a plasma, can't recall the model, it is a Miller. However I must confess I cheated.

I borrowed from work their insight projector. Found the "art" I wanted to use on the internet. Hooked up the projector and projected each image onto a sheet of masonite Then traced it with a sharpie. By moving the projector I could control the size. I cut out the masonite and then used it as templates for the plasma.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
A very nice design to say the least.

I agree with another about the width of the RV section, I'd go to at least 18' so you have plenty of room to walk around with the slides open.

With the RV Garage on the left I assume you plan to drive in. If I was building it I think I'd do a reverse plan so one would back in and then the entrance to the RV would be toward the house but that's me.

The only thing missing that we like is a Family room since that's where we watch TV and keep the Living room for family gatherings. But this is such a nice layout that we could live without one.

Do you only have the floor plan or so you have some elevation drawings?
I am a current resident of Lake Weir Preserve and the TUSCAN IV is our home design. Our RV garage is currently 15' 10" in width,...by design. I measured the width of my RV 5th wheel with the slides out; but unfortunately, I forgot to add a little bit for the added width of the rolled-up awnings. With that said, we cans still get this RV in the bay and open everything up and power up with both A/C units running, water, septic dump, and internet and cable. If I had it to do over again I would have gone 18 to 20 feet wide and at least 50 feet deep, for some addition storage. Chalk it up to lessons learned. Currently with the rear (living room) slides out, I'm unable to get to the back of the unit. But part of the issue is that I still have a number of moving boxes stacked up along the right sign of the garage wall. If those boxes weren't there, I could maneuver to the back of the unit if I had to. We were given Carte Blanche as to what and how we wanted to build this house, and the TUSCAN IV was born. Since this was a custom build and our retirement home, we spent a little more to insure we got what we wanted.

Link to our floor plan: Tuscan IV - Lake Weir Preserve

Placement of the garage: the original plans we saw had the garage bays on the right side of the house that would have put the RV entry facing the house; however, we decided to put the garages on the left side of the house. Our reasoning for this was because we built on a dead end street and our visitors, friends, and family would have seen the behemoth of an garage first thing instead of the house as a whole. Having the RV entry facing the outside of the rv garage bay hasn't been much of a hindrance though as we just raise the garage door enough to walk in, as we load/unload our 5th wheel. That route is kind-of a necessity when the other three truck/car bays are full. I can work on the camper from within at times/as required from the truck bay. Bottom-line you can put the garages on either side you want, that's your decision on what you want to do.

We also put an RV pad on the outside of the RV garage to:
  • To work on the 5th wheel when we need outside access
  • Raise the Winegard DirecTV SAT dish. This needs to be done to re-activate the DirecTV control boxes, since they go inactive if they don't "phone home" once a month.
  • Wash the rig
  • Provides a pad with 50 amp and water service for visiting friends and their RVs.
All concrete in the RV bay, driveway in front of the RV bay out to the road, and the side RV pad is reinforced to handle the weight of the RVs.

We've been in this house just over a year and we LOVE IT. This was the best decision we have made for our travels down the road of retirement.

Other things that helped us decide on picking Lake Weir Preserve:
  • No HOAs
  • We're out of the tourist environment of Orlando, but we're just over an hour away from the parks
  • We're a little over an hour from either coast
  • We're 10 minutes away from medical/retail infrastructure in Lady Lake and around 20 minutes from additional medical/retail infrastructure in Ocala (county seat).
  • RVing:
    • We're 15 miles away from I75 to go south on the gulf side or up into the mid-west or out to the west via a left turn at I10.
    • We're about an hour away from I95 to go the coast towards the northeast or south along the Atlantic coast
  • If your a biker, the neighbor is big in motorcycles and they do like to do day trips together. Biker season is year round down here. Also, one of the neighbors is a salesman at the Harley dealer in Leesburg.
    • Daytona Bike Week
    • Leeburg Bike Weekend
  • Retired military;
    • There is a Navy Commissary and Exchange complex down by the Orlando airport
    • MacDill AFB (Tampa) is about an hour and a half from here
    • NAS Jackson is about 2 hours from here
    • There is a VA facility in The Villages, Tampa, and Gainesville
    • There are also a few facilities in the Orlando area to renew/replace military ID cards.
  • Marion county is gorgeous!
    • Is considered horse country USA, over Kentucky
    • A cool fact is that American Pharoah was trained here in Marion county.

Just some comments from a Lake Weir Preserve resident
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0073.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	97645   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0079.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	97646  

Name:	_MG_0090.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	97647   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0108.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	97648  

Name:	_MG_0121.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	97649   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0136.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	97650  

jabird56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #508

Tiffin Owners Club
That is gorgeous. I hope to be building one of my own in another few years
Old 06-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #509

That is very very nice. I'll see if I can get my WD to like it. If she does I'll see if the builder in the area we're looking at will build one much like it.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:13 AM   #510

That looks great Jabird, I'll bet you are really enjoying that setup. How wide is your garage opening? It looks quite tight with your fiver. But that is good practice for you when you have to park in tight quarters in a campground. I noticed that when I started backing my everyday driver Tahoe into my garage all the time, I got much more proficient at backing it anywhere I needed.

We are building a new residence and rv garage, hoping to move in late summer, documented on this thread already. Our house color is about the same as yours, and I like the red shutters on your front window. I've been contemplating painting the front door red, it really pops on your house. Thanks for the pics.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #511

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
That looks great Jabird, I'll bet you are really enjoying that setup. How wide is your garage opening? It looks quite tight with your fiver. But that is good practice for you when you have to park in tight quarters in a campground. I noticed that when I started backing my everyday driver Tahoe into my garage all the time, I got much more proficient at backing it anywhere I needed.

We are building a new residence and rv garage, hoping to move in late summer, documented on this thread already. Our house color is about the same as yours, and I like the red shutters on your front window. I've been contemplating painting the front door red, it really pops on your house. Thanks for the pics.
Thanks and we are having fun with this place, didn't mention that we also have a screened-in heated pool out the back door of the house.

The RV bay door is a standard 14'x14' door, with the slides in the 5th wheel is just around 8'.

Good luck with your new house. Suggestion once you figure out what your RV "center" is in your RV bay, I would paint "Safety Orange" guide stripes down both sides of the floor to help you guide/back the "beast" into the bay.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #512

A shot from an evening last May with the 5vr in the bay with all of the slides....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	97723  
Old 06-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabird56 View Post
Chalk it up to lessons learned.
We've all been there There are several things on our house alone I wish I'd done differently.

Quote:
Placement of the garage: the original plans we saw had the garage bays on the right side of the house that would have put the RV entry facing the house; however, we decided to put the garages on the left side of the house. Our reasoning for this was because we built on a dead end street and our visitors, friends, and family would have seen the behemoth of an garage first thing instead of the house as a whole.
I would have reversed it but with the position you are on your street having it the way you do makes total sense. We're looking at building on some acreage so we have much more control on entry and views so we'll be able to have the RV garage on the right and still look good when driving in. What's the old saying? Location, Location, Location.

Quote:
We also put an RV pad on the outside of the RV garage to:
  • To work on the 5th wheel when we need outside access
  • Raise the Winegard DirecTV SAT dish. This needs to be done to re-activate the DirecTV control boxes, since they go inactive if they don't "phone home" once a month.
  • Wash the rig
  • Provides a pad with 50 amp and water service for visiting friends and their RVs.
That's on our list as well. Have full hookups inside the garage and at least one full hookup on the outside as well. That allows us to have family over who also have RVs so they can fully hookup. Might even leave enough area further from the house for a couple more hookups so we could have several friends over but not look like you've got an RV Park.

On the issue of having to raise the dish, I'm planing to have a line from the houses Dish into the garage so you can hardwire to the coach. That solves the problem of needing to reconnect to keep the receivers from going dormant.

I did take a look at some of the other plans they have. Even the smaller ones look interesting. We'll keep them in our files for future reference for sure.

Once again, very nice house.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabird56 View Post
A shot from an evening last May with the 5vr in the bay with all of the slides....

Is that a slide within a slide?

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago-Rider View Post
Is that a slide within a slide?

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Yes it is. The wall slides out and then the bed slides out, giving you all sorts of room in the master bedroom.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #516

Ok Jabird, that last photo you posted shows plenty of room on the sides. The previous photos made the garage opening look alot smaller that 14 ft. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #517

Whatever you end-up doing...make sure it's long enough. I stopped at 40 feet for a 34 footer...sure wish I'd made it longer...much longer...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0066.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	98078  
Old 06-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #518

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
Whatever you end-up doing...make sure it's long enough. I stopped at 40 feet for a 34 footer...sure wish I'd made it longer...much longer...
From the picture it looks like you have room to add another bit on.

Neighbour built his to fit his 34' motorhome, then the wife decided she wanted a longer one. Thank goodness we talked to them before we build ours. Built it 72' long.

Should have been at least 80. 72 will be long enough. Just have to get the kids stuff out.