Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #1

Please confirm my thinking: HWH jack won't retract

I have an HWH 200 system. the Jacks are AP15900. right front jack will not retract without assistance. I first used WD40 to lube the rod, and clean out the seal. Then i bought a new set of springs. Still nothing. then i checked to make sure the plunger was being engaged by the levers on the control panel. last night, i disconnected the hose at the top of the jack and it still did not retract. My problem is in the jack, correct? Remedy is new/remanufactured jack, correct?

I though i saw somewhere on this forum that someone took their jack to a local hydraulic shop, and they rebuild for $100+/-. anyone ever have this done? was the cost in this $100 ballpark? if you have had a local shop rebuild, how long ago did you have it done, was the cost savings worth it vs new/reman jack from HWH?

Thanks.
Dirtyfrank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #2

Cost could vary by the problem with the jack .
If the shaft is bent cost could be way higher.
Access to the correct parts for the rebuild is also an issue , some members have said the double lip seal is not always available at the local shop.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrank1 View Post
I have an HWH 200 system. the Jacks are AP15900. right front jack will not retract without assistance. I first used WD40 to lube the rod, and clean out the seal. Then i bought a new set of springs. Still nothing. then i checked to make sure the plunger was being engaged by the levers on the control panel. last night, i disconnected the hose at the top of the jack and it still did not retract. My problem is in the jack, correct? Remedy is new/remanufactured jack, correct?

I though i saw somewhere on this forum that someone took their jack to a local hydraulic shop, and they rebuild for $100+/-. anyone ever have this done? was the cost in this $100 ballpark? if you have had a local shop rebuild, how long ago did you have it done, was the cost savings worth it vs new/reman jack from HWH?

Thanks.
Brah, I had trouble with my leveling jacks a year ago. If I were you I would just call HWH. They are a great company and at least for me; they were willing to talk me through what I should so. I ended up driving to Moscow Iowa and had them repair the system.
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Cost could vary by the problem with the jack .
If the shaft is bent cost could be way higher.
Access to the correct parts for the rebuild is also an issue , some members have said the double lip seal is not always available at the local shop.
Thanks Skip! I guess a few phone calls are in order. would i need to provide some sort of HWH diagram or cut sheet to a local person, or would most hydraulic shops be able to figure it out? I don't know how much one cylinder type may vary from another, or how complicated in general they are on the inside.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoC808 View Post
Brah, I had trouble with my leveling jacks a year ago. If I were you I would just call HWH. They are a great company and at least for me; they were willing to talk me through what I should so. I ended up driving to Moscow Iowa and had them repair the system.
Appreciate it DoC, but I'm in PA, cost me more in gas than to buy a new cylinder and have someone put it on. I'm gonna call/email them anyway just to get cost for new/reman cylinder.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #6

Just a small point, but WD40 is used as a cleaner, not a lube. HWH recommends spraying it on the jack shaft and wiping it off right away with a clean cloth.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The jack wont retract at all, or does retract most of the way but not the final inch or less, or other?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Just a small point, but WD40 is used as a cleaner, not a lube. HWH recommends spraying it on the jack shaft and wiping it off right away with a clean cloth.
thanks. you're right, its a cleaner. but cleaner usually also means it will slide easier, hence, "lube". they also recommend spraying the seals which is hard to wipe off. i did the best i could with qtips but I'm sure there's still plenty on the seals.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The jack wont retract at all, or does retract most of the way but not the final inch or less, or other?
the weight of the coach will push it up, just far enough for me to slide the tip of a shovel under it, and start prying. then i just keep sliding the shovel further in and lift. its not hard. slides up pretty easy.

spoke to a local guy today and he said no problem, most likely $100-200 on the high side, and a few days turnaround time. HWH doesn't have my model in stock (new or reman). 3 week lead time and almost $500 new. same lead time if i sent mine in for repair, max cost would be the cost of a fully re-manufactured one, roughly $350. found a reman instock on line for $350, so i might pick that up, and then in time have the current one rebuilt by the local guy and have a spare.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #10

Also....any one have instructions/video of disconnecting and dropping the cylinder out? I may want to try to do it myself, it doesn't look complicated, but i would feel better watching or reading a tutorial. i searched YouTube already for vid, then googled looking for instructions but I'm not finding much of anything useful. Even a diagram of a similar cylinder and how it sits in the frame would be helpful. I've read there's some sort of pivot plate inside but cant find a picture.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:06 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Suggest you contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #12

Your jack needs to be rebuilt and most local shops can do it cheaper then sending it back to HWH and waiting for a month or so. Taking them off is pretty straight forward, a few bolts, hose and a sensor connection. You have done the springs already so you know how to get them off and on.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Suggest you contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Thanks veraken! I’m familiar with paul’s posts from lurking around the forum long enough. What a great guy to offer that type of service!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
Your jack needs to be rebuilt and most local shops can do it cheaper then sending it back to HWH and waiting for a month or so. Taking them off is pretty straight forward, a few bolts, hose and a sensor connection. You have done the springs already so you know how to get them off and on.
Thanks Craig. Like I mentioned it didn’t look difficult. I’ve read the bottom bolts loosen the pivot plate and the cylinder should just drop out. I guess my only question without seeing a video or diagram of the inside would be if when I replace the cylinder, will it seat itself in the correct location, if I just put it back up in there as far as it goes? Do the posts on the cylinder slide up into a grove of some sort, or is there a hole to pass the top of the cylinder through that will catch the posts?

Tags
hwh, jack