Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Please help a new member CC/Smartwheel

Hope someone can help. With this rain (not used to it!), found out today I have no wipers, also no cruise control and no horn. Basically nothing on the SmartWheel works. I've checked the two 5A fuses marked Smartwheel & they're OK. Is there a reset somewhere? A major connector?

If I can make it to Quartzsite, I'm sure I can find a cc tech, but this storm in SoCal is likely to follow us all the way there (please don't blame us if it does...).

Hmmm. This is where having a FACTORY would help.

Any ideas?

Jim & Liz Headley
'04 Intrigue Ovation 11764
JimLizH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
JimLizH...first of all - welcome to the forum!
I do NOT usually move things out of "brand-specific" forums ...but it sounds like you need some fast help and the CC forum tends to be a bit quiet - so I am going to move this where you might get a faster response... BUT - you have to promise to leave the weather in Southern CA. I have but a few days left in QZ and I don't want to spend it completely indoors my last few days!
Again..welcome to iRV2..we hope you visit & post often!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,
Take a look at this troubleshooting guide for the smart wheel. Hopefully it will help.
And, welcome to the forum.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Oops! This link would probably help. [URL="http://www.vipwheels.com/PDF

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jim and Liz, welcome to iRV2.com and to the Country Coach Owners forum. We are glad to have you join us and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website.
Have you been able to locate the Smart Wheel Contol Module?
Good luck with the smart wheel issue and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #6

Thanks for all the responses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Jim and Liz, welcome to iRV2.com and to the Country Coach Owners forum. We are glad to have you join us and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website.
Have you been able to locate the Smart Wheel Contol Module?
Good luck with the smart wheel issue and keep us posted.
...but it's still not working. Would you believe, with excellent timing, we made it to Quartzsite by following the 'eye-of-the-storm' . So far, since the wipers are still not working, the best advise was the use of Rain-Ex. We drove through some VERY heavy rain, compounded by the highway spray from 18-wheelers. Unbelievable product!We found the control module. It has an on-board 3A fuse (good, damn it), and all connectors seem to be mated. Interestingly, during the harrowing drive, the co-pilot's wiper worked independently , occasionally (wouldn't you know it!). Is this a logic clue? Still no horn, cruise control, etc.Maybe someone knows of a Country Coach and/or SmartWheel Expert in the Quartzsite AZ area.Jim & Liz
Old 01-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jim, I am sure you will be able to find some help in Quartzsite. Keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JimLizH,
Welcome to iRV2. Your last post gave a clue as to what the problem might be. I do not know CC coaches. However, there could be a couple of solution possibilities:
1. The mechanical linkage from the wiper motor to the wipers may have come apart. Especially for the driver's wiper.
2. The wiper motor may have been installed so the winding of the motor face upward. In heavy rain, moisture does get into the exposed area behind the front cap. Water will accumulate enough to short out the motor (intermittently at first).

If this leads to a Smart Wheel repair, ground wires are important. Please check all the grounds for the Smart Wheel.

Good luck, please let us know the fix.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #9

I had a similar problem with mine...had the wheel and clockspring? replaced...still a problem when around rain...finally the tech noticed some very fine green corrosion on one of the transistors on the controller board...replaced the controller and fine since. There was NO evidence of any water intrusion in the compartment...just the extra moisture in the air.....apparently these circuit boards are sprayed with a clear protectant and this one component was missed...
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
KIX

The J2 connector on the power module has the ground connection for the cruise control and the wipers. There are 4 connectors on the power module. when orienting the module so that the connectors are towards the bottom, the J2 connector will be the second from the rightmost connector. The J2 is a 9 pin connector. The ground is the #2 pin. One the coach side of the connector the wire will go to a chassis ground. If you can't find the chassis connection your could make up a temproary connection to get you to a repair facility.

Caveat: This is per the wiring diagram for the Smart Wheel on MY coach and is not necessarily the same as yours.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #11

I've Done All I Can !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Jim,
Take a look at this troubleshooting guide for the smart wheel. Hopefully it will help.
And, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since ALL of the SmartWheel functions are non-functional, It is assuredly not an individual fuse or two.

I found the Power Control Module on the carpeted vertical surface to the left and above the brake pedal, but all connectors seem to be tight and it's 3A fuse is OK.

Its' latest antics include one wiper operating uncontrollably (usually the passenger side, wouldn't you know it). Still no horn, lights or cruise-control.

After downloading the SmartWheel User and Troubleshooting Guide, I realize fixing this is beyond my capability.

So, can anyone out there put me in touch with either a Country Coach technician or a SmartWheel expert in Quartzsite, AZ?

Still Desperate,

Jim&Liz Headley
2004 Country Coach Intrique Ovation 42' #11764
Cell #IS AVAILABLE VIA PM
Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club

JimLizH...
I have deleted your cell number and have told members to PM you. Please make sure you have your PMs set up to receive from anyone...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jim how are you checking the fuses, use a meter not just looking at them.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #14

Thumbs up Update - no wipers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLizH View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since ALL of the SmartWheel functions are non-functional, It is assuredly not an individual fuse or two.

I found the Power Control Module on the carpeted vertical surface to the left and above the brake pedal, but all connectors seem to be tight and it's 3A fuse is OK.

Its' latest antics include one wiper operating uncontrollably (usually the passenger side, wouldn't you know it). Still no horn, lights or cruise-control.

After downloading the SmartWheel User and Troubleshooting Guide, I realize fixing this is beyond my capability.

So, can anyone out there put me in touch with either a Country Coach technician or a SmartWheel expert in Quartzsite, AZ?

Still Desperate,

Jim&Liz Headley
Cell #IS AVAILABLE VIA PM
Found the problem!

Took some time. Although all connectors, fuses and wires are good, when I removed the Master Control Module, BLACK WATER came out of the box! It had 3/4" of standing water at the base of the circuit board. There was green 'crystal-like" growth all over that part of the board and several of the components had their contacts eaten away. This was not a sudden failure. I had the DS windshield replaced about 3 years ago and there must be a small leak path that runs down the wires to the control module.

It's all good because without the module in place for now, I have static free AM and FM; the receptoion has been so terrible I subscribed to XM. Also, my house batteries would drop to 50% in 12 hours; now they stay at 100%, so there must have been a terrible short.

The replacement module is available for approx $200 including freight direct from VIP SmartWheel. It's also available from NorthWest RV Supply for $72 including freight. Guess who got my business.

Thank you all so much for the support. Stress is one thing, but knowing that there are caring friends out there makes it all better.

Jim&Liz Headley