Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Lastly, I get tired of the guys that say they "don't buy depreciating assets" (yet they still buy the motor home). "I pay cash or I don't buy" (and their coach is a 1980 beater). And my favorite, I buy used to save the depreciation and let someone else work out the bugs. Really, your first choice in life is to buy used!
I hear you Don.

I haven't heard the "don't buy depreciating assets" line, but do know that, personally, I don't think I'd ever pay cash for a high dollar depreciating asset. I would lease or finance it.

The new vs used to save depreciation and the working out of bugs is used frequently here though. It's not a bad strategy at all but, as with most things, the problems arise when it's presented as a one size fits all approach and anyone who doesn't follow it must have something wrong with them.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
New Rig

I just bought a new Tiffin, I heard Tiffin is a good make. I hope so. This is my first big rig. I had a teardrop for awhile and it was nice. But now I'm going full time and need a little more space.
Anyway, I bought new instead of used. I looked around a lot and the used ones just didn't thrill me. I like the idea of having new and a warranty behind it. There are a lot of things in a RV now a days and a lot of things can go wrong. New or used, sure you can buy an extended warranty, but what I seen that costs a pretty penny, money spent on something that may or may not go wrong.
I remember when I was a kid and my relatives bought a new car it was a common thing to take it back to the dealer to get the bugs taken out. Then the Japanese started making cars and they made them so good you rarely had to get a bug fixed.
Just look it over really good and don't accept it till they fix it, that's true with anything.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Lastly, I get tired of the guys that say they "don't buy depreciating assets" (yet they still buy the motor home). "I pay cash or I don't buy" (and their coach is a 1980 beater). And my favorite, I buy used to save the depreciation and let someone else work out the bugs. Really, your first choice in life is to buy used!
Um...Yah... my first choice was to buy used... what is wrong with that?
I'd never had a Motorhome before, didn't know if DH would be able to enjoy it enough to make a new one worth the cost...Didn't know if I would end up using it enough to be worth the cost...just got tired of packing half a house anymore to go tent camping as I got too old to sleep comfortably on the ground .... Figured an old 80's 'beater' would suffice until we figured out if we liked it.......dang it, fell in love with the old vintage lady 'Honey'...so I'm trying to get her as gussied up as an old lady can....In my humble ole opinion... ain't a thing wrong with that!
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #32

I think this is very realistic, and a good way to understand what is posted here.

However, I suggest there are two kinds of "quality", or lack thereof: Glitzy, flashy appearance created with very low cost materials should be apparent with close examination. Poor assembly of better materials, along with poor design, may not be so easy to detect and may take some time to be apparent. Also, being handy with tools and having a good understanding of basic construction and mechanics will go a long way toward enjoying an RV.

Quote:
I have a different view.....first off, I'm guessing that only about 1%-3% of the RVing public participate in these forums. In addition, many only come on here when they have an issue. So the alleged poor quality of RV's may be a little exaggerated....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #33

American Coach Owners Club
Too Dutch Star Dan, actually my first choice in life is to manage my finances wisely, not beat my chest that I only buy new. For what is worth I could write a check for a new high end motorhome but know that in my mind that is not the smart play. Over the years in in farming and later the chemical business I have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars by buying good used equipment. But please keep buying new MH's so when I get ready to upgrade there will be good barely used units that have already taken the depeciation hit and have the bugs worked out for us guys whose "first choice in life is used".

Sorry for the rant but sanctimonious people irk me.

To the OP I agree with a number of other posters that what you read about it a great preponderance of just those people that are having issues with new units and not the ones who have few to no problems. I personally have two friends that bought 300K MH's and have never been back to the dealer for any issues at all.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Another 11 pages for people to beat their chest...wonderful. So here's my TCW from the other recent 11 pages of posts.

Each persons situation is different. One size doesn't fit all. If you like buying a used coach, good for you. If you enjoy a new coach and are prepared to work through some initial issues (because that is the way it is with many manufacturers and coaches), good on you. But chastising others because of what works for you is a non-starter and not very convincing. I have built two new custom homes over my time. In each case the builder gave me a roll of painters tape and told me to go through and ID every place I thought there was an issue...after closure. Builders and manufacturers want a rep that they will fix anything that is found that is wrong. That said

Accepting industry production where the consumer is expected to shake out most problems with new coaches is wrong, but appears will undoubtably always be there to a certain degree. If you can't handle that then don't buy new.

I defy anyone to drive their home built on wheels over roads like I10 in Louisiana or Indiana interstates and not shake things loose, NEW or USED.

The manufacturers HAVE NOT instituted modern quality control practices as the Japanese forced on the US auto industry. Some of us will attempt to get FMCA to take a position on this.

And the vast majority of the 70+ are minor and easy to fix, but a single major issue usually gets someone unhappy enough to document the other 69.

Manufacturer CS attentiveness and a good warrantee go a long way to deal with the above.

JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well.... 34 posts in 28 hours, with all sorts of explanation and advice, and the OP hasn't seen fit to converse after his opening salvo. Lots of folks giving him explanations, but nobody, IMO, giving him what he wants! So I'll do it:

Sozo, you're clearly smarter than all of us! Your exclusive capacity for rational analysis enables you to penetrate the fog of sentimental self indulgence within which we all flail about. We can only hope that you will force the RV industry onto a path of upright, ethical business practices, and the rest of us into a world of sensible decision making.

There... that wasn't so hard.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Well.... 34 posts in 28 hours, with all sorts of explanation and advice, and the OP hasn't seen fit to converse after his opening salvo. Lots of folks giving him explanations, but nobody, IMO, giving him what he wants! So I'll do it:

Sozo, you're clearly smarter than all of us! Your exclusive capacity for rational analysis enables you to penetrate the fog of sentimental self indulgence within which we all flail about. We can only hope that you will force the RV industry onto a path of upright, ethical business practices, and the rest of us into a world of sensible decision making.

There... that wasn't so hard.
Ok now I am confused
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Boy I'm not confused...agree, but not nearly as articulate.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #38

Sozo,
If you want the 2-3 year old RV that has had all the bugs worked out, we will sell you ours and even through in ALL the gear and the 2011 LTZ 4x4 Tahoe and tow gear! All the bugs have been worked out of this coach!
As we stated in a previous post, when we got our coach it had NO Visible or indications of ANY PROBLEMS at all! It seemed to be the perfect new coach, then we started using it and the issues began to show themselves!

Let us know if you are interested!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
SoZo,

I don't think you should buy or even thinking of buying a motorhome.

The perfection you are looking for doesn't exist as these fine coaches are built by people who are not perfect and make mistakes. True they shouldn't leave the factories with problems but they do, deal with it. The dealers should catch the problems but they don't as they just want your money. But after all is said and done there are an awful lot of motorhomes on the road today.
It is not the end of the world and problems can be solved and coaches can be repaired.
Look at the problems with GM and their ignition switch does that mean you will not buy a GM vehicle again, I doubt it.
Again DON'T buy a motorhome!!!!!!!!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might be crazy but this hobby is not for everyone. Ours was very good when we picked it up. A 700 mile shakedown run and we had a couple small problems. No big deal. I and many others actually enjoy hunting down and fixing some of these small problems. Its a hobby and goes along with the whole lifestyle.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #41

Carolina Campers
What can you expect if they are mostly made in America. That is why I buy a foreign made car, so that it is a quality product. We need some good competition from foreign made MH's in order to expect better American made products. American made cars are getting better, but still can't compete with most foreign made cars. We get cheaply made, poor quality products here. That is the American way!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
What can you expect if they are mostly made in America. That is why I buy a foreign made car, so that it is a quality product. We need some good competition from foreign made MH's in order to expect better American made products. American made cars are getting better, but still can't compete with most foreign made cars. We get cheaply made, poor quality products here. That is the American way!
Do you consider BMW to be a well made foreign car?
Did you know that every single BMW X3 that is made for a worldwide market is made in Spartanburg, SC, with 70% of their production going overseas.

It is not so much where things are made but how they are made that counts. More QC and overall higher quality costs more than the market is willing to pay. Labor costs have driven so much manufacturing overseas we as a country are losing capability.

Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote