Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Do you consider BMW to be a well made foreign car?
Did you know that every single BMW X3 that is made for a worldwide market is made in Spartanburg, SC, with 70% of their production going overseas.

It is not so much where things are made but how they are made that counts. More QC and overall higher quality costs more than the market is willing to pay. Labor costs have driven so much manufacturing overseas we as a country are losing capability.
X2

It's not the quality of labor but the quality of the processes, management and measures.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
SOZO,

You will be better off buying a 2-3 year old RV.
It will have almost all the bugs in it fixed and the best of all the new deprecation hit was taken by the 1st owner.

I never had to take my 3 year old MH when bought, back to the selling dealer for any fixes.

Yah but! Someone else has set on the toilet seat!!!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
What can you expect if they are mostly made in America. That is why I buy a foreign made car, so that it is a quality product. We need some good competition from foreign made MH's in order to expect better American made products. American made cars are getting better, but still can't compete with most foreign made cars. We get cheaply made, poor quality products here. That is the American way!
Suggest you do some research the playing field is pretty level when it comes to quality. In fact Toyota has had a lot of quality issues lately.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #46

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Suggest you do some research the playing field is pretty level when it comes to quality. In fact Toyota has had a lot of quality issues lately.
Actually, they can implement the quality standards and demand that their employees deliver it because they are only paying them a few pennies an hour, and that is far better than they get else ware. Or they use forced labor and don't have any child labor laws, so their labor cost is kept very low.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post

Actually, they can implement the quality standards and demand that their employees deliver it because they are only paying them a few pennies an hour, and that is far better than they get else ware. Or they use forced labor and don't have any child labor laws, so their labor cost is kept very low.
Nonsense, check your facts.
Most Toyota's purchased in the United States are made in the United States, usually in one of five plants located in Kentucky, Alabama, Indiana, Texas and West Virginia.
Butte64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
just jump, you'll be ok
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #49

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
just jump, you'll be ok
Jump.... Thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #50

You are correct in questioning why anyone would accept delivery of an RV with known problems. I wouldn't and neither should anyone but, things like water leaks, rattles and squeeks develop over time and are not apparent on first inspection. If you are the type of person who will get very discouraged over these types of problems perhaps perhaps you should not invest big bucks into something as I found the cost of a device has a direct relationship to the anger I feel when it breaks. The higher the cost the angrier I get. I also agree with another poster who mentioned you should not expect to hear about all the great units out there because nobdy writes to compliment anyone for anything.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #51
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
gacamp......I too get aggravated with what gets posted on here after years of reading threads. Am I a sanctimonious jerk, maybe so....people often post about financing or down payments and all the guys come on and immediately hammer them for buying new, paying payments and not managing their money properly.

It gets old! The same guys then talk about how they still ride their ten speed bicycle from high school to work and don't finance depreciating assets. I to am tired of hearing about it. I'm not rich and worked for 40 hard years before retiring. I like buying new, taking good care of my stuff and then selling for a good price when it's time to change. I keep my RV's an average of 10 years. So for the same reasons you think I'm a pumping out my chest, I'm also tired of people coming on here who tell others to wait until they can pay cash and either don't show what they own in their avatar, or own some piece of junk that is barely road worthy twice a year.

And you're right, if I didn't buy new, you would have nothing to drive!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #52

I think its all relative. And someone has to buy new Don so the guys that can't afford to or don't want to can buy used. So thanks Don.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #53
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'll admit it.....I probably misstated my position originally. I don't have issues with someone buying used. It's just the guys that preach about how they only pay cash and impose their ideas on everyone else, which is probably what I'm doing.

I always buy new when I buy cars and RV's with a few exceptions. I didn't start out with a 2014 Dutch Star, but a camper shell, then a slide in camper, a Class C, a gasser and then a DP. I bought what I could afford. As I got older and made/saved more money, I bought nicer things. But please don't tell me how your 16 year old motor home was a smarter way to go. If it works for you...fine.....don't impose it on me.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #54

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'll admit it.....I probably misstated my position originally. I don't have issues with someone buying used. It's just the guys that preach about how they only pay cash and impose their ideas on everyone else, which is probably what I'm doing. I always buy new when I buy cars and RV's with a few exceptions. I didn't start out with a 2014 Dutch Star, but a camper shell, then a slide in camper, a Class C, a gasser and then a DP. I bought what I could afford. As I got older and made/saved more money, I bought nicer things. But please don't tell me how your 16 year old motor home was a smarter way to go. If it works for you...fine.....don't impose it on me.
I bought used. No warranty. Paid for upgrades.

Now I am buying new, with a 7 year, 75K mile warranty. At least I am following my path.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'll admit it.....I probably misstated my position originally. I don't have issues with someone buying used. It's just the guys that preach about how they only pay cash and impose their ideas on everyone else, which is probably what I'm doing.

I always buy new when I buy cars and RV's with a few exceptions. I didn't start out with a 2014 Dutch Star, but a camper shell, then a slide in camper, a Class C, a gasser and then a DP. I bought what I could afford. As I got older and made/saved more money, I bought nicer things. But please don't tell me how your 16 year old motor home was a smarter way to go. If it works for you...fine.....don't impose it on me.

umm, she's 26, and I don't believe I did try to impose 'it' on you. Each to their own! Love one another, but you don't have to love their Motor Home. I love mine and feel good about keeping her out of the junk yard a little while longer through some TLC.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #56
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Folks, lets drop the personal snipping here. It's not relevant or nice. The subject is about QC not new vs used. Let's keep it there or move on.

Thanks,
Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote