Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #15

I have used Odo-Ban to eliminate persistant odors. It used to be used by crime scene cleanup crews some years ago, don't know about today.
Since you said the odor is not always present, I suspect a pipe is not sealed to the black tank somewhere.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 03:06 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have read that some Manufacturers drain the bathroom sinks to the Black systems. Regardless where they drain try keeping the drains closed when traveling. The drains can siphon out when traveling, i don't think you have mentioned when you get the smell, travelling or stationary or both.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatShipCrazy View Post
I raised a now 23 year old man (and the hubs) so I definitely understand cleaning up poor aims. This is not that at all. This is a urine odor coming from some type of bad connection through the vacuflush system.

Not only do I keep both bathrooms clean, but the back bathroom is mine and I promise I have no problem with my aim. LOL Also, the hubs is a retired army ranger and is rigid when it comes to cleanliness in his bathroom.

This problem is definitely related to the system/pipes/fittings. I feel like the people that fixed the vacuum problem in Alabama probably didn't complete it properly but now that we are in California and too far to take it back, we are trying to figure this out on our own.

Melanie
In the 80's and 90's the marine industry had issues with the vacuflush flex hoses, they permeated septic smell thru the hoses, filling the cabin with urine and poop smell.
You have the newer (white hoses)=should be no issue.

If the system holds vacuum, than there should be no leak.

I would fill both toilets to the rim, add 1 cup of bleach to each, let sit overnite, then drain,with a cup into a bucket, DON'T FLUSH WITH WATER LEVEL AT RIM LEVEL, WHEN LEVEL IS DOWN TO NORMAL LEVEL, THEN FLUSH.

AS already stated, clean walls and base petestal.

I use blue power in tanks,especially when coach sits, since 2012.

I have rebuilt my entire vacuflush system, shortly after buying the unit new, due to lousy attention to detail at the factory, no smell, ever since nov 2012. yours should not smell either.

The 2 toilets are the only things that drain to black tank on your coach.

Edit
Is your vacuflush light green while this odor occurs or is the system off (red light)?

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
We do not have vac flush system but did have mild urine smell when water level very low in bowl. Also had very slow leak. Shut off water and drained bowl dry. Then added full strength CLR and let it set 1/2 day. Did that two times and smell gone as well as leak stopped. Turned out urine was collecting on a small amount of hard water deposits on bowl seal. CLR pretty much harmless and cheap. I would not think that specific urine smell could come from black tank system.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #19

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the great input. I will pass on to hubs and hopefully we can get fixed
BatShipCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
We do not have vac flush system but did have mild urine smell when water level very low in bowl. Also had very slow leak. Shut off water and drained bowl dry. Then added full strength CLR and let it set 1/2 day. Did that two times and smell gone as well as leak stopped. Turned out urine was collecting on a small amount of hard water deposits on bowl seal. CLR pretty much harmless and cheap. I would not think that specific urine smell could come from black tank system.

This is also a very good idea!!!!
To take ctpres idea to apply to vacuflush, try shutting off vacuflush and water, flush both toilets, open flush valve and fill with water and CLR mixture. Fill till piping and bowl are full on both toilets,let sit for ? then flush later and rinse. Let everyone know the results.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #21

Do you have a black tank flush system where you hook up a hose to flush out the black tank ? If so, there may be an air admittance device located inside the coach. These are typically cheap plastic fittings that have a propensity to fail and let black tank odors into the coach. Usually they are located in the vanity cabinet. Open the vanity door and see if it stinks in there.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:05 PM   #22

When I got my MH it had a black tank odor. I chased it for a while before I found it. I removed the panel covering the tank and when I checked the top of the tank there was a puddle .The shaft that the flushing ball was attached to had worn allowing waste water to leak out the side of the toilet and collected on top of the tank.The leak was behind the outer shell and did not show.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #23

Location: Traveling with 7 furrkids! No bills, Have titles will Travel!
Here is how I solved that same problem.

Here is how I solved that same problem. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-W.../dp/B003P64XU4 Good Luck these REALLY DO WORK.. no more smells..:}
noopdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you were serious about selling the coach, save yourself some money and change the two toilets to macerator toilets. My sister got a new coach with the VacuFlush system and I was surprised how noisy it was. It sounded like a little carpenter hammering away in the bays.

Many coaches use Dometic macerator toilets. They solve the same issue with less noise. They're used when a toilet can't be placed atop a black tank.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #25
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatShipCrazy View Post
Thanks everyone for the great input. I will pass on to hubs and hopefully we can get fixed
Was there any outcome to this. Clothespins on the nose?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Years ago, when I bought my Diplomat with a SaniCon macerator, I would often get a urine smell in the bathroom and even stronger in the wet bay. I soon learned that the urine smell was permeating through the 3" SaniCon hose. I changed the hose to a section of Rhino hose and solved the issue.

I did a generic search for VacuFlush odors and came up with a few people, mainly on boats, that have had odors. They found that the urine odor was permeating the VacuFlush hoses. They recommended that you not try and sniff the odor out with your nose, as it can become desensitized, but to wipe the hoses with paper towels and smell the towels instead.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #27

Unfornately, we still have the smell but only sometimes which is weird. We don't have easy access to hoses for this system so we were just waiting until we could get to a dealer or we might go directly to Fleetwood Service center. I've noticed a strong smell sometimes under my sink, so as someone had mentioned previously, it may be a vent pipe under there. Also, we noticed strong smell this week at new RV park, and no smell last week at different park...so we are going to also check if leveling might be part of the problem.

Thank you for checking in!
Melanie
BatShipCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:31 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Do you have a black tank flush system where you hook up a hose to flush out the black tank ? If so, there may be an air admittance device located inside the coach. These are typically cheap plastic fittings that have a propensity to fail and let black tank odors into the coach. Usually they are located in the vanity cabinet. Open the vanity door and see if it stinks in there.
this ^^
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell