Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 01:20 AM   #1

Angry Please help....URINE SMELL.....Gross!!!

So we have only owned our "new to us" 2016 Bounder 35K since January. Immediately we knew there was a problem with the vacuflush system. It would not reseal so it would pump the vacuum every 13 minutes all day long. After much research, we finally decided to get it checked out by a professional.

We paid $600 to have both seals in both systems redone. We have been full-time since May and they have worked perfectly since this fix.

Now another problem! We cannot get rid of the urine smell! I have read that this should not happen with these systems, but it is for us. BOTH bathrooms have this problem. After reading forums, we first had new fittings put on the outside venting pipes which has not helped. It's gotten worse each month and we realized it is coming from the interior, not exterior. We have been meticulously clean with both bathrooms and it still smells like a urinal most of the time....whether empty or not. We have tried several chemicals and no change. We even pour water all round the bowl with EVERY flush to make sure it's well drained.
It's so bad, we might have to trade in our rig and lose alot of money. I have hated the loud noise after every flush with this thing from Day 1 but this urine smell is seriously getting to me.

Advice????
BatShipCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Hmmmm
Are you sure that the toilet and vent(s) are the source of the smell?
It could very well be that the previous owner had pets or was a drunk that "let 'er rip" all over the floor & walls just to get even for it being repo'd? or whatever reason.
Try Clorox urine remover on all the floors/walls/crevices,ceiling and so on before you give up
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:00 AM   #3

Perhaps coming from the grey tank via faulty valves under the basins
Old 08-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #4

Many variables here, but certainly worth consideration... change out to tank vent tips. There are 2 brands out there that use wind technology to creat a suction, carrying the odors up and out of the top of you vent tubes.
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatShipCrazy View Post
It would not reseal so it would pump the vacuum every 13 minutes all day long. After much research, we finally decided to get it checked out by a professional.

We paid $600 to have both seals in both systems redone. We have been full-time since May and they have worked perfectly since this fix.

Now another problem! We cannot get rid of the urine smell! We even pour water all round the bowl with EVERY flush to make sure it's well drained.
1- 600.00 for what seals?
2-your coach has 1 system and 2 toilets
3- you should let water run after every flush for at least 4-5 seconds, I do 8 seconds to keep inside of vacuum generator cleaner, because I am the one that has to fix if necessary.
4- have you checked the vacuum generator bay for the smell?

5-am I correct to assume the smell only started AFTER the seals were replaced?

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't offer a suggestion on the problem! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #7

Saddlesore - "It could very well be that the previous owner had pets or was a drunk that "let 'er rip" all over the floor & walls just to get even for it being repo'd? or whatever reason."

LOL....now that is gross! It was a trade in at a CW dealership and after we purchased it, it was very clean and I also scrubbed it top to bottom before I would live in it.

I should have explained that this smell is not constant....but rather intermittent.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
1- 600.00 for what seals?
2-your coach has 1 system and 2 toilets
3- you should let water run after every flush for at least 4-5 seconds, I do 8 seconds to keep inside of vacuum generator cleaner, because I am the one that has to fix if necessary.
4- have you checked the vacuum generator bay for the smell?

5-am I correct to assume the smell only started AFTER the seals were replaced?
Hi Rick,

1. We paid $600.00 to have the toilets resealed. First they replaced the seal in the front bathroom. We took it out and we continued to get the problem of the pump continuously working trying to "seal" the system. We took it back and the mechanic decided to replace the seal on the back toilet also which is what finally made the pump stop running except after flushes like it should. So essentially, both were replaced.

2. Yes, one complete system with 2 toilets with seals as I would describe it. What I mean by that is that we have 2 bathrooms but both of these run to a Y with only 1 black tank, unlike the gravity systems in other 2-bath rigs that have a black tank for each toilet. Even though we have 2 seals that much be checked, the vacuum system is run between each and can be affected and "not pump" if either one has a seal problem.

3. We use this system as well. We use an excess amount of water to see if that can help. For the past 2 weeks, we even fill a cup with water and switch it in the toilet also with EVERY flush...to no avail.

4. My husband and checked the bay and no smell there.

5. This is a difficult question because we only had 1 short trip before we had the seals replaced. The short answer is that we did notice the small intermittently (not all the time) but we thought replacing the seals so the pump would work correctly would fix this. Then we had new vents put on the pipes to see if that would fix it and still, we have the problem.

As I'm typing now, there is no smell coming from our bathrooms. But sometimes the smell in either bath or both gets almost unbearable.

It's just weird. I feel like this may be the reason the first owner traded in after less than a year of ownership. The dealer told us it was so they could upgrade to a diesel.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Perhaps coming from the grey tank via faulty valves under the basins
Hi Tony,

I know the gray tank can smell awful like septic, but could it cause a specific urine smell also???

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try contacting the original owner, ask about the situation, what can it hurt.

They may have kept a messy pet. The smell, if it is actually Urine, must be outside the sewage containment system. I have never smelled urine just the other stuff I deposit down the hole.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Someone with a poor aim? I would start by scrubbing the toilet, making sure to get every crevice, especially to the rear and around the base. Maybe check the floor and walls with black light?
Old 08-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #12

After visiting my very young 6yo and 10yo nephews, my bet is on poor aim. I would use bleach everywhere it is safe to use. I would scrub walls, floors and every inch behind, around the toilet. Then do every inch of the actual toilets. Good luck
Old 08-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #13

Definitely NOT aim or pets....

I raised a now 23 year old man (and the hubs) so I definitely understand cleaning up poor aims. This is not that at all. This is a urine odor coming from some type of bad connection through the vacuflush system.

Not only do I keep both bathrooms clean, but the back bathroom is mine and I promise I have no problem with my aim. LOL Also, the hubs is a retired army ranger and is rigid when it comes to cleanliness in his bathroom.

This problem is definitely related to the system/pipes/fittings. I feel like the people that fixed the vacuum problem in Alabama probably didn't complete it properly but now that we are in California and too far to take it back, we are trying to figure this out on our own.

Melanie
Old 08-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
I use a product in the tank called "Happy Camper". It will get rid of the worst smelly tank in one day. Basically the stuff off the shelf is a methane reduction process with a perfume added. Happy Camper is a nitrogen process with no perfume and no smell. I use in both grey and black tanks. 4lb box cost me $64 CDN and is half gone after 4 months full timing and about 4 weekends since then. Awesome stuff and I threw away the other stuff. Happy Camper looks like fine grain laundry detergent.
That may help the OP
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell