Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Plug for TRC surge protectors

Once again I am thankful for a surge protector. We were camping in OK and there was a storm - did not seem close but our surge TRC 30 amp version with led readout, etc. stopped working. I tried it in another campsite pole and same thing - would not pass 110v. I checked my pedestal after the storm and all voltages checked ok so I plugged in directly.

Called TRC and they said to send the unit in and when they received it they didn't even want to look at it but the warranty (it was one month old) said, "No problem - we will just send you a new one." I liked that service. They are sending it to us in a campground in Arkansas because we were leaving again before it arrived. I really don't know if it protected us from the storm but I suspect it did just that and now they are backing it up with a new unit. Nice service from a company in my view.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been on the fence about buying one, think it might have just move up the list!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I will say yes and yes. Several times the unit shut off when the 110v. was either too high or too low. Worth the investment in my view.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I highly recommend having one of these electrical protection units wether TRS or Progressive. I use mine even when at home.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a question. Do some higher end diesel pushers motorhomes have surge protectors installed as standard equipment?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No longer on the fence! Bought the Progressive Industries hard wired one an installed it last week. Not hard to install if you plan it out in advance.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a TRS I am preparing to convert from a plug in to an installed.. Have my mounting point picked out, just need to spend 25 bucks on part. (I think 25 will do it) .

The reaason i do not use it full time is that I have a Hughes Autoformer and as a plug in I can not easily put it after the already installed Autoformer.. so I will put a longer cord on it and it will still "Plug in" but inside and be mounted at a distance from the Hughes. (like 2 feet)
Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieChief View Post
I have been on the fence about buying one, think it might have just move up the list!
We waited a week longer than we should have before buying one for our old motorhome. We were camping in a Canadian Provincial park when a thunder storm hit. There was a lightning strike nearby that scrambled the brains of our energy management system. Everything still worked, but we had weird readings on the panel.

When we got home we took it to the Winnebago factory to have it looked at. It turned out we needed a new display, but since it was an obsolete model we had to buy both the display and the sensor. Fortunately Winnebago had run 4 conductor wire even though the original system only used 3 conductors. We ended up with a bill of roughly $250.00 which wasn't all that bad considering I was expecting to hear many other things like the fridge and microwave had been damaged. We lucked out once. We installed a surge protector in that coach and another one in our current coach before it even hit the road.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I have a question. Do some higher end diesel pushers motorhomes have surge protectors installed as standard equipment?
Yes, some have surge protectors, fewer have power protection devices like the PI and TRCI units. I've had both and recommend the PI for customer service and lifetime warranty.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote