Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Plugged up black tank

Need suggestions on how to clear a stopped up black tank. Am set up in a campground and somehow the black tank has become blocked. In other words HELP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not fun.

Do you know how the blockage occurred? Was the black tank valve left open allowing the liquids to drain but leaving the solids behind? That's the typical cause for the "Brown Tower of Doom" which builds up in the bottom of the tank. Are you sure the tank is clogged or can it be that the valve is broken?

Use our search feature and you'll find a lot of suggestions on how to proceed. Some have had luck using a spray wand (Camping World) inserted through the toilet. Others have had luck using hot water dumped into the toilet and allowed to sit a while. Still others will fill the tank half full of water and then dump 20 lbs of ice down the toilet before driving around allowing the ice to be an abrasive tank cleaner until it melts.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

I would suggest getting a sewer cleaner and running it up the drain line to see if that will clear the line. Another idea is to get some drain cleaner and pour it down the toilet and maybe that will eat out the stoppage. I am not sure about which on to get so I would check with an RV supply store which might have something approved for black tanks. I had a block in my grey tank and the RV repair facility taped up the drain opening and blew compressed air up the drain and loosened the clog and allowed it to come out.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

WRB7636
2000 DSDP, 2010 Buick Enclave
Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrb7636 View Post
I would suggest getting a sewer cleaner and running it up the drain line to see if that will clear the line.

WRB7636
2000 DSDP, 2010 Buick Enclave
If you go this route, be sure to think ahead to what happens to all that stuff in the black tank when the blockage breaks loose.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for suggestions so far. Black valve wasn't open so don't believe it is the tower of doom. I usually use campgrd facilities for hard waste. Don't know what my GF does but assume we have a waste paper blockage. have open and closed valve several times, believe I can hear it working.
Is it safe to use Drano type products? I if can get h2o out I can flush system with hose.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Plugged RV sewer holding tank. What to do. - YouTube

If all else fails there are companies that you can hire to unclog sewer pipes. Give them a call to see if they will work on your black tank and dump valve.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #7

go to a RV shop, get a clear clean out section pipe it allows you to hook to your drain then cap it off hook up a hose to it and back fill into your pipe which will free up what ever is blocking it. I have done it multiple times with two girls and a wife I needed one.

Better than chemicls and can be used in the future to clean out your holding tank.

Good Luck
Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #8

Happy Camper Extreme Cleaner, but most people don't believe it. Their loss.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Valterra sells the Flush King & Camco sells the Dual Flush Pro. I have the Camco but haven't had to use it yet. Had a black tank paper blockage in August at checkout time in an RV park and I was able to run in a regular garden hose thru the toilet then have my wife turn on the water from outside the coach at the hookup. Moved it around inside the tank for a few minutes and it freed up the blockage. Thankfully the sewer connection was nice and tight at the hookup and my outlet because when it broke up it really flowed out! Soaked the hose in a plastic tub in a heavy bleach/water solution for an hour. Also have an old piece of electricians snake in one of the basement storage compartments now but haven't had to use that yet either. Good luck
Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #10

Some times people of the feminine persuasion, who are accustomed to flushing things other than the thee Ps, (poo, pee and paper), down a conventional toilet, will put "products" into an RV black tank that can/will plug things up.

A newlywed friend of mine had to disassemble his S&B sewer drains because his new wife thought that flushing porkchop bones down the toilet was the proper way to dispose of them!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #11

If you had valve open then...Been there, done that years ago and that is when learned to keep valve closed. I was camped at Pioneer in Phoenix and had to get company to come out with "rotoRooter" type device to clean and inspect. Learned lesson and all worked out well. In my conversation with nice gentleman who came out I asked about type of TP and he told me it did not make any difference, the secret was just use plenty of liquid (water or otherwise) in tank with paper to keep it from drying out. b
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all of the helpful tips. Little Drano and time cured the problem. It was a paper issue. Had a chat with the GF about paper useage. Hopefully this will be the one and only time he says knowing fully that it will happen again.
Love the site and all of my helpful friends.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #13

When mine clogged up I shoved a garden nose into the toilet and turned it on, leaving the valve closed. Then I opened the valve, drained it and then did it again. Mine was clogged when I bought it used but didn't notice until I found that I couldn't go for 2 days without it filling up, 45 gal tank. Now it works great, and I have since bought a toilet power cleaner to make it easier, but in a pinch use a garden hose, start slow until you determine how far down the clog is then turn it on full blast.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
This method also works for those difficult clogs.
Attached Images

Tags
tank