Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurner1 View Post
Yes, BUT, be sure to turn off the house mains. The 100 or 200 amp breakers at the top of the panel. Then turn off most of the breakers, only leaving about 30 or 40 amps worth of breakers on. If you don't abide by these rules, when the power comes on -- your genset will be a goner. Also if someone is working to restore your power, you could electrocute them. Even down the block. Also, the house wiring can only take so much since you are back feeding it. BE CAREFUL.
Huh? I don't understand your response. The house power is on. I'm asking if the RV can be plugged in to the residential power supply when parked at the house, instead of running the generator.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We spend a month each summer at my FIL's place in Minnesota and have to live on a 15 amp connection. There's no way we can run AC without the generator running but we've learned to manage our power draw by running the refrigerator and hot water heater on propane only and limiting the on board battery charger in 5 or 10 amp draw. If heat is required we also only run the propane heat.

Good luck

Rick
Good info, thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
You need a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter, and a 30 amp to 15/20 amp adapter. Then you can plug in to the house. Stay away from 240v plugs in a house. They are meant for a dryer, not a motorhome.

Don
Thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #18

You sure can with the proper addapters, but as O/P said about all you can do is keep batts charged and a few lights, fridge on gas (don't take long to use up 15-20 amps). Most newer houses have GFI outlets in outside areas, some coaches depends how they are wired do not like GFI and will trip the GFI, especally if you start the generator while it's plugged in. Also long extension cords should be avoided, and the ext cord should be at least 12 ga wire to avoid voltage drop. With that said, if you are going to do this long term, like over the winter, you should have an electrican that is knowladgeable with 50A rv service, give you a price to install the proper 50a service (4 wire plug/w, 2 hots, neutral, and ground) to plug your coach into.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
Sorry about my earlier post. I thought you were in the snow area without residential power. Sucking power from a house -- no big deal. Just get the right adapter and plug it in. Just remember unless you have a dedicated breaker for your coach, you're essentially adding a BIG appliance to whatever circuit you plug into.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #20

you don't have to run your fridge on propane. we plug ours in 24 7 specifically to run the fridge
Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurner1 View Post
Sorry about my earlier post. I thought you were in the snow area without residential power. Sucking power from a house -- no big deal. Just get the right adapter and plug it in. Just remember unless you have a dedicated breaker for your coach, you're essentially adding a BIG appliance to whatever circuit you plug into.
No problem, MT. I'm such a goob about this stuff...I get easily confused, lol. I appreciate your response.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportech View Post
I made an adapter to plug into my in-laws 240 volt welding plug in the garage. It was wired for 50 amps so I was able to run both AC's and everything else. Your coach (and mine) is wired for a double ground (4 wires) and the welding plug was only 3 wires so that was the reason for the adapter.

Dave
220 V ? You plugged your 120V line into a 220 volt line. What kind of adapter did you use ??
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
220 V ? You plugged your 120V line into a 220 volt line. What kind of adapter did you use ??
I doubt it....he made an adapter to allow him to plug his 50 amp plug into a 240volt outlet.

Electrically this is possible, but it not to code.

The RV 50 amp plug has four conductors:
  1. ground
  2. neutral
  3. 50 amp 120volt leg to neutral
  4. 50 amp 120volt leg to neutral
When wired correctly there will be 240volts across 3 and 4.

A 240volt outlet for a table saw, welder, etc. in a home with 3 pins has, obviously 3 conductors:
  1. ground
  2. XX amp 240 leg
  3. XX amp 240 leg
There is no neutral.

An illegal adapter would have the following connections:
  • Leg 1 and 2 connected to 1 on the outlet, BAAAAD
  • Leg 3 of the RV connected to 2 on the outlet
  • Leg 4 of the RV connected to 3 on the outlet
Why is it illegal? Code does not allow tying the ground and neutral together except in the service panel. Even sub-panels must isolate the neutral and ground, such that a 240volt sub-panel is fed by 4 conductors.

I don't believe it is legal to sell this type of adapter.

The old NEC code allowed dryers and stoves to use the ground as a neutral for the few 120volt devices they contain (apparently had to do with saving metal during war time). Newer NEC code (starting in 1996) requires separation of neutral and ground, thus a 4 conductor wire. This is a safety issue and reduces the chance of shock, should the neutral wire develop an open.

NOTE: a 240volt 3 prong outlet/appliance is still allowed, but it is against code to derive 120volts from this outlet. Which again makes the adapter described above illegal.

Hope this helps explain the background.

Your best bet is to find a 20 amp circuit with very little else plugged in.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would offer one alternative, with conditions:

Does the home where you will be plugging into have a dryer in the garage or nearby? If the dryer outlet is 4 hole outlet, with some 50 amp extension cords, you could use that outlet.

Of course you would have to disconnect the RV when the homeowner wants to use the dryer, but most dryers are not high usage items (unless you have young kids).

You could use a 4 hole stove outlet as well, but I doubt you want to run the extension cord through the house and pull the stove out to access the outlet.

Four hole water heater outlets would work also, but have the same usage drawbacks as stoves.

Good luck
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
I doubt it....he made an adapter to allow him to plug his 50 amp plug into a 240volt outlet.

Electrically this is possible, but it not to code.

The RV 50 amp plug has four conductors:
  1. ground
  2. neutral
  3. 50 amp 120volt leg to neutral
  4. 50 amp 120volt leg to neutral
When wired correctly there will be 240volts across 3 and 4.

A 240volt outlet for a table saw, welder, etc. in a home with 3 pins has, obviously 3 conductors:
  1. ground
  2. XX amp 240 leg
  3. XX amp 240 leg
There is no neutral.

An illegal adapter would have the following connections:
  • Leg 1 and 2 connected to 1 on the outlet, BAAAAD
  • Leg 3 of the RV connected to 2 on the outlet
  • Leg 4 of the RV connected to 3 on the outlet
Why is it illegal? Code does not allow tying the ground and neutral together except in the service panel. Even sub-panels must isolate the neutral and ground, such that a 240volt sub-panel is fed by 4 conductors.

I don't believe it is legal to sell this type of adapter.

The old NEC code allowed dryers and stoves to use the ground as a neutral for the few 120volt devices they contain (apparently had to do with saving metal during war time). Newer NEC code (starting in 1996) requires separation of neutral and ground, thus a 4 conductor wire. This is a safety issue and reduces the chance of shock, should the neutral wire develop an open.

NOTE: a 240volt 3 prong outlet/appliance is still allowed, but it is against code to derive 120volts from this outlet. Which again makes the adapter described above illegal.

Hope this helps explain the background.

Your best bet is to find a 20 amp circuit with very little else plugged in.
You didn't ask for advice but I'll give it. Question? is your insurance paid up?
Don't even think of doing this.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is another link for wiring permanent 50 amp or 30amp service at home for RV, good reading before anyone starts.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #27

I found that a 10 gauge extension cord made a big difference when plugged in to a regular 110 house outlet. I was using a regular extension cord and we were very limited on what we could run. We had very few limitations after getting a 10 gauge cord.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #28

Absolutely yes, 50 to 30 to 15 or 20 what ever you have with store bought adapters you can charge batteries run frig if camper is close to level or anything else under 15 amps I have done several times with a built in surge protector. CW even walmart sells the adapters.

Tags
power