Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plumbing Issue

We are in a 2012 Bounder. Discovered this morning that we had water seeping from the backside of the shower enclosure into the bedroom at some point. The carpet was damp and an access cover was swollen and moist at the bottom. I pulled the panel and could not find anything that an obvious source. The insulation around the shower drain pipe appeared dry.

I pulled a the panel about two feet above the floor to check inside. There was a fitting I am not familiar with hooked to the cold water line. The top spins, but does not come off. Can anyone enlighten me on what this item is, if it is a possible source of water leakage, purpose, etc.

Any other ideas on likely causes would be appreciated also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing fitting.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	29897  

Cliff Fargason
US Army (ret)
2012 Fleetwood Bounder
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like a vacuum breaker of some sort. I have one on my black tank flush line under my bathroom sink. JM2...

Ted Fulltiming in the DreamCatcher a
2008 Challenger 371PE on F53 w/ 2010 Cobalt
R'V there yet?
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks like a 'cheater vent' quite common in RV drains, but NOT in a cold water supply line.

1-1/2 in. ABS PTC In-Line Cheater Vent-39012 at The Home Depot

Since it's a 2012 vehicle, why not let warrantee deal with it?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In some areas an anti-siphon device (air admittance valve) is required on shower feeds and I think this may be one such. The scenario where it is needed is obscure - a handheld shower head lies on the floor of the shower and can suck up (siphon) any waste water that may be there if the outside (city water) connection is removed or the low point drains are opened. Probably some other weird scenarios too, but you get the idea. It's probably in the more recent versions of the plumbing code and the RVIA standards generally follow those to the letter so they are "good to go" in all states and cities.

Assuming that is what it is, it could conceivable leak water if it sticks open (it would normally be closed by water pressure in the cold line). It might also spit a bit of water when doing its job - you have probably seen a backflow preventer on an outside water tap do that at times. Just what the right conditions are may be difficult to find, but it appears yours has been spitting regularly if you have that much wetness.

I've done some research and can't find any anti-siphon or backflow preventer that looks like that. Maybe a call to Fleetwood Customer Service (or parts?) would elicit some more information. Their plumbing guys must know what it is and why it is there.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Most likely not your problem since you didn't mention that you recently flushed your black tank. The reason I bring it up is I had a leak in the very same area but it only leaked after flushing the black tank. Seems they put the tank flush backflow preventer valve behind the shower wall evidently to help protect it from freezing. The valve is plastic and has a history of early failure, or so I'm told.
Jim & Sandy
2011 Discovery 36J
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Water problems

Had a similar leak in our 2008 bounder. Took forever to find. End result was the shower drain was disconnected from the drain to the tank. My access to the bottom of the shower was a little access panel under the coach. Royal pain. Fixed with a rubber flex hose.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #7

That is an backflow preventer in the black tank flush system. If you recently flushed your black tank, that is likely where the water came from. As another poster already said, they can and do fail. Often they just freeze not allowing the tank to flush but they also crack allowing water to spay out during a tank flush.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Had a leak and it was one of those nuts had loosened off enough so water leaked past the seals. Backflow valve itself was functioning OK
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Follow-up to original post. I have gotten the plumbing diagram from Fleetwood, the item in the photo is the atmospheric vacuum breaker, probably the item mentioned as being fragile by later posters. It isn't the culprit in this case though. We found the backside of the shower faucet, and though at first it appeared that the leak was due to the spray hitting the faucet area and getting by the seal, it is actually coming from the cold water portion of the faucet. It appears that warranty will cover the issue, am waiting a call back from LazyDays Tampa to discuss their mobile service coming over.

Thanks all for the hints and support.

Cliff Fargason
US Army (ret)
2012 Fleetwood Bounder
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote