Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Poli Glow

Anyone ever use Poli Glow and if so what were your results.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I did. Last year I did both my front and rear caps with it. It looked so good (like NEW gelcoat) that I did the whole MH this spring. Although my unit has been garage kept for most of it's life, I just couldn't keep a great shine on it, so I looked at what else I could do to bring back a super, like new shine on it.
After buying and try tons of different waxes, I decided to try Poly Glow. We couldn't be happier.

Read this thread
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/paint...ml#post3212592

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/lips...ml#post3118608

Great stuff if you do the proper preparation before you apply the Poly Glow
Old 08-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #3

I just used a product called Costacoat that I heard about from a repair shop... I have lots of hours doing the prep work, washing and scrubbing with either a 3M white or gray pad....

Light scratches all over the gel coat... and lots of dead paint/gel coat washed off after the washing... now 6 coats later.. I'm so amazed at how shiny and how good the unit looks... I'm hoping it holds up...

But I've been reading about the ZEP wet and shiny floor wax... and did some research on this product.. it also has the same prep and the same shine... I'm starting to believe that both products are a very high quality Acrylic Wax..

Both product will hold up to soap and water washing... and need to be updated every 6 to 12 months... both products need to be removed with a wax stripper...

I'm guessing they are almost the same products... or very close.. I hope that a year from now I'm just as happy as I am today...
Old 08-22-2016, 10:27 PM   #4

Did a friends camper two years ago with zep, just as shiny as the day it was put on and no yellowing great stuff.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #5

If your coach is stored out of the sun it will last awhile if however it is in the sun full time it will be an annual chore the Polyglow and Vertiglass are both used in the marine industry on houseboats I have customers who do full strip and 8 to 10 coats per season
Boat wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:06 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have dune the Zep wax. Someone said that Polyglo has UV inhibitors. I do not know for sure. Zep is under $20 for a gallon, I did the roof and sides three years ago, the finally got back to it recently and almost finished the sides with the original gallon. After three years it was dull, but a good scrubbing and two coats of Zep brought it back. I have the instructions that I can send if you want them.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat wrench View Post
If your coach is stored out of the sun it will last awhile if however it is in the sun full time it will be an annual chore the Polyglow and Vertiglass are both used in the marine industry on houseboats I have customers who do full strip and 8 to 10 coats per season
I used it for several years on my boat. in the beginning it was great, could not beat the shine. But after a while it turned yellow, I followed the instructions to the letter. I used their cleaner and prep also used their applicators. Once it turned it was a bear to remove the only thing that worked was their remover and lots of work. I finally gave up and to waxing.
If you try it I hope you have better luck than I did.
gmacecsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #8

I found it works well if you wash the coach often especially the roof but it gets nasty pretty fast otherwise. I found that painting my 89 Komfort with marine paint/sealer from Sherwin williams was the answer. Sealed it and is a durable finish. No waxing, easy to maintain and if you scratch it you can touch it up with a brush. I put it on with an airless sprayer, hardest part was taking the old stripes off.
jlathem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
Anyone ever use Poli Glow and if so what were your results.
Thanks
About 4 years ago we had a detailer wax the outside of our 31' MH. Not known to me at the time they used 5 to 7 coats of polyglo. The mh looked beautiful for about a year then it started to wear off on the high wind areas on the front and rear cap, didn't look pretty sort of like those cars you see with the clear coat coming off. I found out to late that this polyglo would need to be cleaned, removed in the wear spots and re applied EVERY YEAR. Not something I personally wanted to do myself and costly to have done. In hind sight I wish I had never done it.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
About 4 years ago we had a detailer wax the outside of our 31' MH. Not known to me at the time they used 5 to 7 coats of polyglo. The mh looked beautiful for about a year then it started to wear off on the high wind areas on the front and rear cap, didn't look pretty sort of like those cars you see with the clear coat coming off. I found out to late that this polyglo would need to be cleaned, removed in the wear spots and re applied EVERY YEAR. Not something I personally wanted to do myself and costly to have done. In hind sight I wish I had never done it.
If Poli Glow is applied correctly, it will last a long time. Prepping the surface is the key to this and other polymer coatings. It sounds like your detailer did not follow the instructions. I did our motorhome 3 years ago and it still looks great and it is outside all the time. You do have to wash it on a regular basis with no harsh cleaners. If a spot does peel off, clean it and re apply Poli Glow. Washing the roof is a big help in keeping the shine.