Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What is the reason your windshield cracked?
Stone from vehicle traveling in your direction 19 39.58%
Stone from vehicle traveling in opposite direction 13 27.08%
Twisting/Wracking of your coach 6 12.50%
Windshield improperly installed 1 2.08%
Poor factory design of the window frame 5 10.42%
Other 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Poll...why did your windshield crack?

If you have had a windshield crack, what was the cause?

2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #2

Poll...why did your windshield crack?

When hurricane Irene passed Long Island, somehow the drivers side front window was cracked. The MH has been sitting for three months and not moved (except for starting engine/genset) What I found unusual was that the top right side of the window was pushed out from the frame and cracked below. If a tree branch had hit the window, it should have either been pushed in or just cracked. The MH was closed and the only thought is that possibly the air pressure or winds had done the damage?? Policy with GMAC (full glass) replaced the window. Anyone checking for policies should check them.

Tom, Jan withn Papillons, Chance N Candy
'13 (60th annaversary) AMBASSADOR 40' DFT
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
When a tornado passes over there is a sudden change to lower pressure which will blow windows out. The winds do not have to real high for this to happen.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fellow accross the road from me back up and smashed my front cap and windshield on my brand now motor home--I was on my jacks where I had been for three weeks----ya think?

After that three years of misery getting the windshield to stay in place----$24.000 later---- problem solved and I worry constantly that a rock will hit us and the misery will begin again.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Stones on the road. Over 2 years this has caused one major crack and several smaller ones...all filled by Safelite (free under our insurance).
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
If you have had a windshield crack, what was the cause?
I used to put the silver insulating stuff inside my windshield. One hot Fl. day about 2:00 in the afternoon, I got the bright idea to wash the windshield and the cold water split the thing from top to bottom. Another time was in Alaska when a tow dolly traveling in the opposite direction through up a good size piece of gravel and I drove into it ,cracking the windshield.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
My experiences started on my 1953 New Mercury and ever since I have replaced windshields in each of the vehicles I have owned. I always carry no more than $50.00 deductible for glass coverage. July a year ago, I bought a Pleasureway excel TS and in May of this year a crack from the bottom to the top in the center expanded from a pebble hit on the trip home. Fortunately, Progressive covers glass repair and replacement for no charge.
Retired US Air Force and IBM
Sergeant80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:06 AM   #8
We bought a new DP in 1996, we assumed our drive was flat enough to park it on. The pavement does slant a little down hill but not bad. Well about 4 months of parking with no air in suspension I walked in one day and heard a bird singing! Checking further I found the bird was outside and the top left corner of the windshield had popped out of the rubber! I called a local glass co and eased it over to them and the first thing the manager said when he looked at it was "driveway isn't level is it?" Sure enough it wasn't, didn't crack or break. But I did have a pad poured. No probs since.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Stone from a truck that passed us in Colorado..watched the crack grow as we drove to Oklahoma. Had it replaced at home in Houston.
Dave and Anita
Two empty-nesters
2015 Itasca Sunova 33C
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
ALCAN Hwy, 2 MHs, 2 cracked windshields
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #11
2 stone chips from rocks, and one from stress. The air susp did not come up on the right front. I do however think as the windshields in a F/T are mounted in rubber it was actually caused by a faulty (oversize piece of glass). After 2 after market W/S the glass company ordered one from the OEM now all is good.
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
American Coach Owners Club
We have just returned from an Alaskan adventure and sadly will have to replace both windshields. The pax side for a large stone ding and many minute others that only show when the sun hits it...the driver's side for the latter reason as well, the glare can be overwhelming. The sadest part is that the damage is due to what I call 'road vandalism'.

The first two incidences happened within 30 minutes of each other. Both envolved small pickup trucks towing a small empty trailer. Both times we were on gravel breaks(road repair patches) where the driver came into our lane(in the opposite direction) and at the last second, whipped back into their lane. The trailer would slide sideways and throw rocks and stones all over the front of the MH. First time, no damage...the second, success! Another favorite is when a large truck would pass, only in the gravel breaks and in the same direction, they would whip in front (barely clearing the front of our MH)and again, throw rocks everywhere. This was very disheartening...I always pull over to let the truckers by...not at my convenience, but as soon as I possibly can.

We met a couple in a Blue Bird with a badly damaged pax windshield...exact same scenario, pickup and empty trailer. I've since found out from other Canada/Alaska RV'ers that this practice is not as rare as it should be.

One last instance and I'll get off the soapbox. We were traveling northeast on the TOK Cutoff on a gravel break when I saw a truck-trailer coming over a hill on a fresh gravel break. I came to a pretty quick stop after I pulled as far to the right as I could without hanging a dually over the side of the road. I could tell by the tractor-trailer's exhaust that he was pouring the coals to it. He came into our lane(remember, we're stopped) doing at least 60-70 mph and came within three feet of us throwing rocks and debris all over us. VERY FRUSTRATING...in the middle of nowhere, no cell service, no way to turn around and no witnesses(my word against his). Really, for the first time in my life, I'm starting to understand 'road rage'.

While the offending road vandals enjoy their moment of bliss, I(we) are just getting started in dealing with the damage they've caused. The up side, I keep telling myself, no one was hurt...but still, there has got to be a special place in hell for road vandals!

Our trip to Canada/Alaska was an awesome experience with places that were so immense and beautiful, their grandeur became incomprehensible. We also met some of the nicest people everywhere we traveled. Would not trade the overall experience for anything. Safe travels Bob

Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote